What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

full melt dilemma

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
hey everyone, thanks for sparing the time to read

recently was looking at procuring some delicious FM bubble, and was told by the maker that "its hard to keep it anyplace besides in the freezer because he cant get all of the moisture out" to me that seems like hes simply pressed it too early.. though i think he's perhaps also got a strain or two that might suck moisture out of the air into the resin.. whos had experience with the nice high qual bubble.. i thought we could powder it and leave it on screens or ghetto cardboard if need be. oh and dont worry, i told him not to press it

update - some has been pressed, some hasnt.. im going to have it broken up to powder and probably have the pressed stuff run through a grater or strainer or something to get it to a consistency that will dry out.. what would others do

Last edited:

jdigga

you can still get full melt if you press it, it all depends on the resin content of the trim your working with. and yes i think he pressed it to early he should let the trichomes dry befor pressing it or else it could go mouldy, card board works very well at sucking the moisture out of the hash just chop it up on some cardboard and le it dry for 6-7 days befor pressing it.
also if you take the choped up crystal and put it in the freezer for an hour all the moisture will condense on the top and will be sucked rate out of it.
hope this solves your question peace.
jim.

Dkgrower

Veteran
Papulz said:
recently was looking at procuring some delicious FM bubble, and was told by the maker that "its hard to keep it anyplace besides in the freezer because he cant get all of the moisture out"

Hey papulz, it sound like it just need to dry a bit longer, or he is not doing it right, to much water left when he removes the water work´s from the bag, the trick ilife use´s with a shami, is something that really speeds up the drying part and really smart also drying rack is a must. also the bigger surface area the water works has when drying the better.

it you dont chop it up regular in the drying process, it forms lumps, and if you want to make it to powder, then grind it in a blender, but it need to be complety dry before doing this.

Hope this help´s

Papulz

Veteran
thanks man, yeah i was plannin on taking pages from ilifes methodology. definitely will end up powdering it to dry it completely. i was just referring to the nature of the actual resin though, as ive heard from a few that a couple types of resin (strains) will have a tendency to suck moisture from the air.

an idea i had regarding the handling of a strain like that would be the use of a desiccator.

Last edited:

Papulz

Veteran
new idea.... what if i have the partially dried material placed in an airtight vessel with a desiccant like some salt/rice? i would have them get silica gel but i dont know if they could find it right away. would you immerse the product in it or just place it on a rig right next to the drying agent? thanks for readin

ilife

If you use the shami method and place your wet resin on a drying screen and break up the resin as it dries out over the first hours into powder, your wet resin will dry evenly and fast enough so that you do not even need to think about using a dessicator. Usually in 24 hours depending on where you live and weather.

iLiFE

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Some resin is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water from any humidity in the air. It can be impossible to get dry enough to store without freezing. This resin also turns whitey and looses its stickyness and smells. You do not want this to happen!!

-SamS

thanks for the info samS .. are you tring to say the hash turns a very light color.. like tannish.. or are you describing what mold in hash looks like?

Haven't had this problem.. and would the resin that is hygroscopic ever be found in a particular cultivar or is it more random.. or is it maybe if the plant was matured to far and the trichomes are at a particular stage of life that makes them more prone to be hygroscopic?

boy ive got a lot of ?s this morning... for not having some coffee.. :p

Dr. G

i place it infront of a dehumidifier 8.5gs and it dryedin a few hrs and i pressedit thenight i made it and its dry as a bone i leave it in the bathroom so the dehumid can suck all the air out

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It is not mold, but the hash does turn an almost white color. And loses all its stickyness, a ball of pressed hash will just fall apart and lose much of its smell and taste. Funny if you heat and remelt the ball it will melt and get sticky again, but it is not as good as before.
And yes only some hash does it, seems to depend on the variety.

-SamS

Papulz

Veteran
thanks for all the responses everyone im so appreciative that ive had the honor of receiving advice from the legends in the resin world.

id love to have it done properly ilife - however im not on scene to dictate how these fools do their work.. and i end up stuck dealing with it. so im trying my best to get things fixed as it were. the desiccant idea springs from a mixture of both hash that i believe was pressed too earlier with moisture, and perhaps the resin itself might indeed by hygroscopic in nature

so im left to process this stuff so as to be able to keep it properly for long term storage and product viability. how would you guys transport resin that had such properties? 2 ideas have been proposed thus far, with me favoring the desiccant. One was to use freezer packs while it was moved, and two was using desiccant during the process. desiccant to me seems to be the only method that isnt a temporary fix.