in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Organic Soil > Organic pH Up/Down

Thread Title Search    
Click for Weed Seed Shop
 Organic pH Up/Down Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
C21H30O2
I have ridden the mighty sandworm.

C21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to all
Organic pH Up/Down

Hey guys, quick question for the organic soil crowd. what do you use for pH up/down? organic of course, but what are the choices and what do you think is best? i know a lot of organic growers dont even bother to pH their teas/nutrients solutions but i want to take all the precaution i can on this grow and dont mind the extra work if there is a possible benefit.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
beej
Stoner to the Boner

beej is on a distinguished road
I hear vinegar is a good one to use for ph down. I mix my EJ nutes, which drop it down to about 4.8, and just wait for it to balance out.

Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed.

-Jimmy Carter
beej jest offline   Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
cway

I use citric acid or Lemon juice. Usually 1/4 lemon squezzed into 1 gallon of water will bring down ph to low 6's high 5's. If it gets too low then just let it sit overnight and it will slowly rise.. Plants only absorb nutrients at certian ph's so this is very important and prob biggest overlooked variable when growing.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 AM   #4
waydee
Amateur knob-twiddler

waydee will become famous soon enough
pH down is quite simple - as above, citric acid or vinegar will work. As for pH up, im not really sure... I suppose you could make lye? don't quote me on that one lol.
waydee jest offline   Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #5
cway

Tap Water PH is about 7.5 so if you have low PH just add declorinated room temp tap water to soil meduim and slowly your ph will rise.. At least this is the case for soil. It is more forgiving than other mediums.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
C21H30O2

C21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to allC21H30O2 is a name known to all
any commercially available products that are certified organic?

Old 10-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
ThaiPhoon
Tropical Organic Gardener

ThaiPhoon is a jewel in the roughThaiPhoon is a jewel in the roughThaiPhoon is a jewel in the rough
I think you can find organic apple cider vinegar for pH down and good fulvic acid should be organic as well. Use for pH up. Even though it is called fulvic acid, the pure stuff can have a pH of 11.
ThaiPhoon jest offline   Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
ThaiPhoon
Tropical Organic Gardener

ThaiPhoon is a jewel in the roughThaiPhoon is a jewel in the roughThaiPhoon is a jewel in the rough
Sorry...I could be wrong. I have no intention of misleading people, but look at this...

http://www.optimumorganics.us/Fulvic-Best.htm
ThaiPhoon jest offline   Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
C21H30O2

fulvic acid is also good because its a nutrient source for the micro herd yes?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
Suby
**AWD** Aficianado

Suby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant futureSuby has a brilliant future
Quote:
Why is Optimum Organics Fulvic Acid the best?

Our Fulvic Acid is organically extracted without chemicals with an all organic process which is why it tastes like water & is 100% from nature!

Optimum Organics has the purest source of Fulvic Acid in the world, extracted from a fresh water source of humates in New Mexico that is not laden in heavy metals.

Optimum Organics Fulvic Acid is bottled at a pH of 11.0, in pure ionized alkaline water, which is healthy for you and helps preserve the Fulvic Acid naturally.

Our Fulvic Acid is not extracted from leonardite, coal, or fossilized peat like most of our competitors.

We have the highest levels of Pure Fulvic Acid!

Our Fulvic Acid is packaged in amber glass bottles, not in plastic that leaches toxic dioxins into the Fulvic Acid which is highly reactive. Most all of our competitors sell a tainted toxic product in plastic bottles to save themselves money at your expense.

We are a non-profit organization that helps people and the environment.

We have the best prices & the best product!
Hey Guys

Thai that a great link and an interesting product.

Fulvic acids are a refined form of humic acid, the ones we are used to seing in the hydro store are leonardite derived and in my experience lower ph but this stuff seems to be a different type of fulvic acid completely.
If it is alkaline it could be very useful because very few elements in organics raise pg significantly.
I think the processing and alkaline water storage make this product unique IMHO.

Fulvic acids are though to be associated with active uptake, certain micros are "engulfed" in the FA molecule which is then absorbed by the plant, like humic acid it actually makes nutrients available over a broader spectrum of ph, it buffers the medium by aiding in nutrient absorption.
At least this is my understanding of it, others might have different ways of seing it.

Suby

Last edited by Suby; 10-17-2007 at 06:56 PM..
Suby jest offline   Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
BBWluva

BBWluva is on a distinguished road
what about the earth juice ph up and down,i think thats organic..
BBWluva jest offline   Quote

Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #12
ReeferDan

ReeferDan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWluva
what about the earth juice ph up and down,i think thats organic..

I picked these up today. My local hydro shop said these were the ones to go with if i was trying to stay organic.

I'll be using these to ph my water to 6.5 for my Moonshineman soil mix.

THis is my 2nd indoor grow, and 1st time having to ph water, so i dont have anything to compare it to, but i'll let you know how i like it.

Last night i filled up a 5 gal bucket and measured ph... 9.1!! After being bubbled over night it went down do about 8.2 so i'll see what it looks like tonight after 24hours of bubbling. I'll probably still have to use a bunch of ph down for it though!
ReeferDan jest offline   Quote

Old 10-19-2007, 02:02 AM   #13
HigherLimits

HigherLimits is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't recomend vinegar. I have heard that it is not good in certain ways.
For organic as its already been said, use Fulvic acid.
Hugely beneficial and organic.
HigherLimits jest offline   Quote

Old 10-19-2007, 03:19 AM   #14
BurnOne

BurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivorBurnOne is a survivor
It's 4:20 somewhere. Time to Burn1.

Bullshit! There's no need to flush organics. -Bongaloid

pH meter? We don't need no stinking pH meter!

BurnOne jest offline   Quote

Old 10-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #15
BBWluva

BBWluva is on a distinguished road
hey reeferdan one thing a little goes a long way with the earth juice, very little.smaller than a pinch brings my tap water from 7.8 down to 6.5...
BBWluva jest offline   Quote