What's new

Rubbermaid CFL grow questions

frozengreen911

For a rubbermaid CFL grow, how would I attach the CFL light fixtures to the top of the rubbermaid tub? I know in the origional redgreen tub the light fixture was bought at walmart.

I'm thinking of buying the regular light fixtures that you would use in a house and install them onto the tub. How would I go about doing this?

waydee

I've seen people using a powerstrip and those wall plug to bulb screw socket adaptors and just hanging them that way, glue the power strip up or screw it on.

You could get what we call batten lampholders, not entirely sure if they're called that in the states (i presume) but they're just wall mount bulb sockets that you can just wire up to a wall plug.

alphacat

It'll help a lot if you're able to raise & lower the lights to keep 'em right on top of the canopy. Using the method Waydee mentioned (plug-to-socket adapters in a powerstrip) this should be fairly easy, although I have no personal experience. Otherwise, a light strip hung by two chains which can be securely hung from something like a screw would work.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
I've used both 3 bulb vanity fixtures and single bulb wall mount sockets. They both do the same thing with equal efficacy. Frankly, they hold and power bulbs...

The vanity fixture does have the advantage of having the three bulb bases pre-wired together, but if you're willing to bother, you can wire three single bulb bases together and accomplish the same effect.

Blue_adept

i would suggest getting single bulb bases and fastening them to a piece of wood or structural plastic. the advantage of single bases i feel is they are cheaper (~$1.50), and they offer you more room options to upgrade/mod if you decide you want more bulbs down the road.

BlueAdept

frozengreen911

those pictures help alot. How do you attach the light fixtures to the rubbermaid tub? Do you screw the fixture through the top of the tub?

Latest posts

Latest posts