What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How To Make a Wood Ganja Pipe (in ten easy steps)

gws35

how do you copy a thread w/pictures from another forum and post em on here? i just used an anon proxy and cked it out...sign up in ten seconds, no email req. (woodworking forum) if its possible to copy and put it here i will though...

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
you'd have to save the images to your comp and re-upload them somewhere. jsut sign up, liek he said no email required (no registration verification, they ask for one but you dont have to receive one to log in and etc.)

i prefer tobacco in wood
ganja gets glass

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
here ya go.. dont say i never did nothin for ya guys!
How To Make A Wood Pipe (in ten easy steps) courtesy of MRPIPE over at the woodworking talk forumn. if anyone wants to do me a favor and redo this post with the pics in a diffrnet gallery that would be swell, as i dont always keep pics in my galleries.
hope everything syncs up correct. i messed up the numbers while saving and uploading the pics.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings Peeps, this is a quick (two hrs) cheap (freeoooo) way to make a wooden pipe with just some basic tools. I ask that everyone please refrain from posting until Im done (first time uploading pics, should take about an hr) thanks!

1) here we have a large maple branch that broke off a tree a few months back, you dont want too new as the wood is too wet, best to use something thats cured for at least a couple months. Can be any wood, i just prefer maple. Cut off a six inch piece.

In the second pic you can see the tools, electric drill, electric sander, pencil, bow saw, wood saw, wood rasps.

2) Next put the wood in a vise, use the rasp to take some of the bark off so its easier to mark. Next mark where your bowl and stem will be. I used a magic marker to make it easier to see.

3) Next drill a hole through the center of the wood, through what will be your stem and into the bowl. Be sure you use a drill bit thats long enough to reach the bowl..otherwise youll be sucking on wood...

4) Heres the tough part- Put the wood standing upright in your vise. Stem up. Youre cutting your stem now, saw both lines straight down until you hit right where your bowl starts, then gently saw across the bottom. Be careful not to let the blade go off your line, otherwise you could cut into your pipe hole...then time to start all over and get a new piece of wood..(guess how i figured that out).

When youre done cutting both sides, turn your wood to the next side. Mark both lines straight down. Do as you did for the first two cuts, saw all the way down until you hit where your bowl starts.

5) Now you have your starting point for your stem. Put the stem into the vise and cut the corners off where your bowl will be. Gives you the basic outline for your bowl.

Last edited:

Endo

Veteran
6) moving right along here, now youre going to dig out your bowl. I tried a few different methods, what worked best for me was a combination electric drill with a glass cutting bit 5/16ths and a knife. (you can use a reg drill bit, just takes longer) Be careful not to drill too deep, otherwise youll go through the other side of your bowl (yep did that too )

Your bowl and pipe hole should interconnect now, meaning you should be able to blow into your pipe and sawdust should come flying out of the bowl.

7) Hang on Peeps, were almost there....the last pic didnt show the bowl completely dug out, you get the idea though. Now heres where most of the work and your artistic abilites come in. Put you pipe into the vice, changing position numerous times...use your rough wood rasp to shape your pipe the way you want it to look. Use the coarse side first, then switch to the more moderate teeth later on. Might take an hr or more to get it just right, heres a few pics of how it progressed.

8) Once you get it to the desired shape, use your sander (or a little elbow grease) with course sandpaper to get the desired texture, going to fine sandpaper next. Dont forget to sand out your bowl, makes a big difference.

When youre done fine sanding it give it a quick wipe with a clean,damp cloth.

9) Youre ready to stain it now. I use two coats of a cherry oil base stain. Be careful not to stain or clearcoat the inside of your bowl, cant be good smoking that sh*t!

10) Once the stain dries apply a coat or two of clear laquer. Thats it your done! I read somewhere its best to wet down your bowl before lighting up to cure it..worked for me! Thanks everyone for bearing with me, hope this inspired a few peeps to give it a try

ps. I read that briar is best for pipes, followed by maple, cherry and oak...corn cob pipes are temporary at best.

Luna

thanks endo (and mrpipe) you da man! really enjoyed it as i like working w/my hands. cool how it went from a tree to a pipe right before your eyes, gotta go find me a tree now! lol

G

i might try this with a stalk after harvest, but i will harden the pipe under a fire before i smoke out of it, it will be awesome to smoke the the buds through the stalk they grew up on....:rasta:

Endo

Veteran
youd need a pretty thick stalk for the bowl part.... but im sure you could make it work.

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
quite a cursory looking carve job on that pipe, a true craftsman uses the aethetic values and look of the wood and branch to design a wooden pipe. here's some of my examples of that:

gws35

quite a cursory looking carve job on that pipe, a true craftsman uses the aethetic values and look of the wood and branch to design a wooden pipe. here's some of my examples of that:

hey dickhead, you better reread the post again...quote "how to make a wood pipe in TEN EASY STEPS...this is a QUICK, CMEMORY way to make a wood pipe with a FEW BASIC TOOLS.....simple and too the point...

the final product looks plenty good to me, of course we all cant be true craftsman like yourself.....if im not mistaken arent you the hack who was trying to sell/pawn those "works of art" on this forum somewhere? jeez....

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
gws35 said:

hey dickhead, you better reread the post again...quote "how to make a wood pipe in TEN EASY STEPS...this is a QUICK, CMEMORY way to make a wood pipe with a FEW BASIC TOOLS.....simple and too the point...

the final product looks plenty good to me, of course we all cant be true craftsman like yourself.....if im not mistaken arent you the hack who was trying to sell/pawn those "works of art" on this forum somewhere? jeez....

no need for the usage of epithets dude. i was tryin to give my advice on how to use the woods natural appeal in the pipe making. so before you get all indignant and pompous realise that only a coward calls people names over a forum, what are you in middle school? oh and yes i did inquire if anyone wanted to trade wood for glass, but thats none of your concern. so before you go talkin trash again try gettin enough posts to even check your PM's and spread some reputation around. quite a repugnant post, but im sure your just brimming with the stuff. :wave:

gws35

who are you trying to kid? you werent offering advice, you were insulting the dudes work but didnt have the balls to directly say it. the guy took the time to post a diy pipe project and you insult him? I notice you didnt post one....

your post was derogatory and insulting.......quote " quite a CURSORY LOOKING CARVE JOB on that pipe, a TRUE CRAFTSMAN uses the aethetic values and look of the wood and branch to design a wooden pipe. heres some of MY examples of that" you better go look in the mirror before calling anyone a coward and pompous.....you were putting down the dudes work while bragging about your own plain and simple, youre a dickhead dude! (300 posts and all) next time try a little CONSTRUCTIVE advice.... :spank:

G

Very cool ... I just signed up for that site yesterday for a totally unrelated reason. Weird huh or physic. That's it I'm a physic ... I knew it :D I'm off to find a branch. Just recently divorced so I gotta find something to do with my hands besides the obvious :D

Take Care Mo,

G

thats was a good tutorial so lets not ruin it with bickering, gws and pirate just squash it, if you both are as intelligent as you seem then it should be nothing to drop this and let this good thread ride out and maybe go into the DIY link-o-rama.

Latest posts

Latest posts