What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do-it-Yourself Vertitube - Homemade Vertical Cooling!

DirtDoctor

Okies, so someone in another thread asked about this, so I figured I'd post a lil thread....

I made a 6" diameter cooling tube for my 3 x 1000W lights, using cheapo "cool tubes" from the garden store, some 6" duct flanges, a hacksaw, and some metal tape. The base is a 12" to dual 6" ducting adapter with the 12" bit sealed off on the bottom.

Here's the play by play:

And finally, a pic of it in action (sorry if you've seen it already):

:D

G

Good lord, just lookin at that pic is makin me wanna try vertical growin! Awesome gig!

P

perakko

wow, that's really inspiring! how many plants do you have there in total? and how large are the containers?

Siddartha

omg, inspiration strikes!!!

I was thinking about something like this in a barrel of green, I think this may be a missing piece!

thnx DirtDr!

G

looks great! i forgot about seeing that, and it stiiillll makes me t=drool :headbange

you have a tube setup for 3-1k lights, yet there is a little 40 or 60w lightbulb on.....ironic....... :muahaha:

i think you mentioned this in the other thread you showed this in, but what were your plant counts and yield like?
could you link back to the other thread so i can take a second look pleeeeeaaasee :rasta:

Last edited:

cesartime

Those are the normal glass cool tubes that cost around $100.00? Or are they something else that can be procured from elsewhere?

G

thanks for the link dirtdoctor :) i had a feeling it wasn't an entire thread. at least ya know you hijacked it though.........but really, who hasn't done that at some point :rasta:

Mr.Fish

:jawdrop: Dirt Doc, this is awsome! Are the juntion box's part of the light with terminal blocks in them or some thing you put together. Plus I love the way it roll.

Mr.Fish

also when you say cool tubes from the garden store, is this the real purpose for these tubes? or do you ask for something else?

DirtDoctor

yep the junction boxes are part of the "cool tube", and yeah, they're made for cooling lights, I'm just hacking them up, and adapting them to vertical growing :joint:

:D

cesartime

What are these tubes called, and are they made out of glass? I see you are using a hacksaw to cut them, i was just curious as to what they were made of.

coolx

DirtDoctor said:
yep the junction boxes are part of the "cool tube", and yeah, they're made for cooling lights, I'm just hacking them up, and adapting them to vertical growing
so are the tubes glass or plastic and what are you chopping up? I guess it wouldn't be a glass tube, but either a plastic tube or maybe the metal housing if the tubes are glass?

Great idea and thanks for posting, and I know it's simple, but it's a little difficult to follow when we don't know what the original tubes looked like, what they're made of, and what you did to them and how you adapted them. Also, do you have air cooling running thru the tube? If you did, I guess the air would have to come thru the floor.

Last edited:

Lucky

Lovin it, good stuff mate.
Looks like there just standard cool tubes (with the premade sockets and terminal), and looks like hes trimming the metal ends a bit (first pic) to keep the whole setup shorter in height. using duct fitting to join them in a row and probably pulling the air through the bottom (hence the Y shaped duct fitting)??
I am however always curious how well the air flows by the socket part of the cool tubes (close up pic would be cool), and what cfm do you use for it? peas

rr14

where can I get those cool tubes that cheap? Maybe a parts list and locator would help. thanks!

pineappaloupe

not sure what to say, but this is some great info. DD I saw the pic of your shelves at various stages. In the final one I noticed that the branches had gone from sticking up, to sagging under weight. ****ing spectacular. have you considered a support system for the branches?

i will hopefully be setting up something similar to this, only using 2 600s.

im getting ideas about making a perpetual flower vertical box using the shelf system ala DD. a T5 rig that has bubs in a circle would do the trick, or a singe 600 on a light mover (such that is goes up and down)

Latest posts

Latest posts