What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Step-by-Step: Ice Hash

Before I begin, I realize that the preferred method for ice hash is to use bubblebags or one of the similar products on the market. This method will not produce varying qualities of hash like real bags do, but it is also at a fraction of the cost. Sorry about the pictures they're not of the best quality.

Things You Will Need:
- Trim, buds (Preferably pre frozen)
- 2x 5gal. Buckets (Nice to at least have 1 white one, makes the hash a lot easier to see)
- 5gal. paint strainer (2per pack, only costs like a buck)
- Cone paint strainer (They had two types of them at Lowes, one that is worthless kind of like cheesecloth. The other was a 190 microns, which is what you want. They are not labeled on the packages so I bought both, who cares they were also like a buck.)
- Plastic tubing (Any size is cool the smaller the slower the speed of the drain)
- Ice (At least a gallon)
- H2O (Like 2 gal. but you may need more, just make sure all that trim and ice is able to move around)
- Plastic tarp (Any thing relatively heavy is suitable, could probably just use the side of a gallon freezer bag)
- Hand Mixer (A kitchen one is fine, or you could use a cement mixing attachment for a drill)
- Plastic Card (This is just for scraping the resin glands together, you could certainly use one of those fake credit cards that you get in the mail)
- ***OPTIONAL*** 150 micron framed silk screen (Got mine on the online for like 15 bucks)

The Procedure:
Step 1: Ensure that the frozen trim and buds are in small pieces, if not go ahead and chop your greens into smaller chunks that won’t bind the mixer. While doing this go ahead and line your 5-gallon bucket with the 5gal. paint strainer.

Step 2: Dump your trim into your bucket containing the strainer, followed by your ice, and finally the H2O.

Step 3: Agitate the contents of the bucket for aprox. 20-30min.

Step 4: Remove the strainer and allow the bag to drip into the bucket for several more minutes. The solution inside the bucket should be a dark yellow/green color.

Step 5: Poor your H2O/ Pot mixture through the 190micron cone filters (If this is your only filtration make sure you’re pouring it into a white bucket)

Step 5b: ***OPTIONAL*** Poor your solution through the framed silk screen to further filter out undesirable plant material.

Step 6: Allow the resin glands time to separate, by just letting your bucket sit for about 30 minutes.

Step 7: Begin to siphon off water until you have removed a little less than half of the bucket. You could just poor off the contents of the bucket but siphoning agitates less trichs. Then allow another 20-30min. period for the disturbed resin to settle again.

Step 8: Siphon additional water from the solution until only an inch or two of liquid is left in the bottom.

Step 9: Position the bucket at a 45-degree angle and, again, let it settle.

Step 10: By now all the resin in the bucket should be easily visible. Slowly poor off the remaining water left in the bucket, don’t worry about little bits of resin slipping away, you can collect them later, just make sure you leave the majority of trichs.

Step 11: Scrape out the wet resin with your plastic card and place it on the plastic tarp to dry. As it dries you can card the goo together to form a ball. You will need you let it air dry for like 2 or 3 days but then it is good-as-gold.

Step 12: You can repeat steps 6-11 as many times as you wish to get as much resin as you can, I found that after 2 or 3 times the amount left in the solution really isn’t worth fighting for.

Conclusion:
When you consider that most people already have their trim, some sort of household mixer, and that the silk screen is optional then this whole process can cost less than $20! I yielded a dry weight of around 2 grams from the first run and a combined weight 1.5 grams from the second and third runs, that is a grand total of 3.5grams. All of your trimming that was used originally can be reused at least one more time so refreeze it, if you do the whole process again you should be able to get similar quantity as your first time just lower quality. I would like to thank AmishFarmer for the cone strainer idea!

^^^ 1st run ^^^ (It reads 2g's if you can't make it out)

Howdy!
Well i've smoke the vast majority of the hash, and my cam is kind of shitty, but here are some pics:

^^^Thats bout all I have left^^^

^^^heh these are some bubble pics but you can't really make it out^^^

P.S. Pontiac ya made my day by puttin me in the Link-O-Rama!! :jump:

Looopy

Dried materials necessary? Or fresh work to0?

Dried materials necessary? Or fresh work to0?

When making ice hash, do you need to start with dried material? Or can one use fresh material instead?

It would be a lot easier if one could go directly from harvest to hash, without having to dry it out first.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Looopy

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
you can use either. Wet trim will yeild less but have more flavor because alot of the aromatic terpenes evaporate during drying. I personally use a mix of wet and dry when i can.

Looopy

Moisture content?

Moisture content?

Thanks much.

Why does wet yield less than dry? I

s it because wet/fresh starts out heavier/larger because of the moisture content?

punx777

Kick ass, is there some way to avoid the siphoning part, seems like it would be easy to lose some of that wet gold

punx777

Perhaps filtering the water through a coffee filter, rather than syphon... Love this idea i have been looking for a while for a viable, affordable thing to do with my trimmings.... I read from chiefsmoking bud you get about 5% trim weight? (he was using a tumbler) Can anyone confirm findings?

S

Seismic

I was a bit bored, and used my trim to make some hash using this technique, and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. The only thing I did different, was use a wooden spoon to mix everything, making sure it stayed frothy, and I only used the cone paint strainer for filtration.

This is the culmination of a few different strains trimmings.:joint:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:abduct:

Wfw1

Seismic whats the consistency of that hash? Looks nice, hows it smoke?

I was never too hot on siphoning methods of hash making but this one's got the right idea...

S

Seismic

Thanks wfw1, at room temperature it has a nice pliable soft consistency, but when kept in the fridge it is harder. The smoke is very smooth, but very racy, and it bubbles quite nicely, producing clear domes. Although it is not fullmelt. Though for the method used, I would definitely recommend it, especially if you don't want to buy a set of bubblebags. :joint:

good job seismic.. and thanx to rollingstoned for making this thread.. i did a small test run of some of my trim and i'm quite happy with the results.. here's a few of my pics.. still drying out so haven't got to taste it yet..

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hmmm I am gonna have to try this method, looks pretty good. I only have a small bubble bag kit. I could make larger batches like this.

Nice hash yall

Wfw1

I'm definitely impressed Seismic, if your getting bubble quality like this for this low budget then it's definitely worth a try.

S

Seismic

Thanks a lot zepplin and wfw1, I really appreciate the comments. :joint: Best of luck with your hash making, though I am sure it will come out very nice, as this method seems to be pretty foolproof. Take care guys:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts