Thread Title Search    
Click for Groovy Dope Shirts
 DIY ph UP and pH DOWN Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
GotTheBlues
King of the Jungle

GotTheBlues is on a distinguished road
DIY ph UP and pH DOWN

Anyone know of any around the house pH up And Down that i can add to a 15 gallon dwc.
GotTheBlues is offline   Quote

Old 08-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Carp

Carp is on a distinguished road
Lemon juice acts as an acid to lower your Ph, not sure what could be used as a base though. Also might not be the best to put in a hydro system.
Carp is offline   Quote

Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 AM   #3

I am gonna catch shit for this but believe me this works! I have been using this for around 8 months now and I have saved a ton of money.

For PH DOwn
Go to an auto parts store and buy sulfuric acid yes Battery acid, You can dilute it to around 1/2 cup acid to One gallon of water.

If you need PH UP go to Lowes and Buy Roebic Drain opener its 100 percent pure Sodium Hydroide. Do NOT use drano or anything else you need 100 percent sodium Hydroxide. mix about 100 grams of the stuff to one gallon of water.

Now you just spent about 15 bucks for all the ph up and down that you will use in 2 years.

If you check with commerical growers they will tell you the same thing, Sulfuric acid for down and sodium hydroxide for up.

Just dont tell any weed growers about this, (Sproutco was banned for it) But believe me it works. However if you wanna keep paying the Hydro stores for water to the tune of about 30 buck a gallon go ahead.

Uhh ohh I think someone is gonna string me up for this!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by fredfarts; 08-02-2007 at 02:57 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
minds_I
Mufflover Extraordinaire

minds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivorminds_I is a survivor
^^^^^ BAN THE MAN.

Buahahahahahahahahaha,

Yeah, the sulfuric acid is a sound idea.

Not to sure about the sodium hydroxid....sodium is salt and can be a problem.

I have read about using potassium hydroxide instead as the plant can utilize the potassium.

As to the concentration and the product to use I do not know.

minds_I
"Here's to cigarettes, whisky and wild wild women"
"Sometimes, it is more pleasing to want a thing then to have it."
"Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.
"Teach the children quietly for someday sons and daughters will rise up and fight where we stood still"
"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. T, Jefferson"
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved."
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.
minds_I is online now   Quote

Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 AM   #5

baking soda for ph up...and i use sulfuric battery acid from the auto parts for ph down

Old 08-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #6

Thanks guys I thought I was a dead man for sure!

The sodium hydroxide doesnt affect your ppms at all. I know it sound crazy for stoners like us to be messin with this stuff but it really does work. The advantage of the Sodium hydroxide of the Baking sode it that it holds up longer with less. I was skeptical at first too but I did a lot of ponderin on this as my man Carl says (slingblade) and then I tryed it and no bullshit it works. I have had a few beers tonight but I aint that F up yet I aint messin with you it works. (I have been known to be quite the wiseass later in the evenin but I am on the east cost and its still early yet.

Side that these are serious chemicals and shoulh be handled with care. No children should try this its for advanced growers ONLY!!!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #7

yea, fred's tellin you the truth, the stuff works great.

i was the one that posted a recipe in Sproutco's thread.

i had been researching it because i'd seen and people talk about using it, all the time on hydroponic gardening sites.

So i found a recipe at a site.

The guy's recipe was just for one liter.

It was ratio'd at 19-1, distilled water and acid.

A U.S. gallon: is 16 cups.

i figured out if i poured out a cup from a brand new gallon of distilled water so i could get a cup of the acid in, that was 15 to 1, not far from 19 - 1;

Later on after about a month of using it on my plants, i posted it up in Sproutco's thread, because he didn't have a recipe in there, just mentioned it could be done.

============================== ============================== ===============
Sproutco got banned for publishing p.m.s somebody had sent him while they were arguing Fred.
I saw one of the mods tell some guys who were speculating why he got banned.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
chosen

chosen has a spectacular aura aboutchosen has a spectacular aura about
Nice.... I always wondered.
Thanks
chosen is offline   Quote

Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
Blackvelvet
not responsible for icmag abductions :)

Blackvelvet is a jewel in the roughBlackvelvet is a jewel in the roughBlackvelvet is a jewel in the roughBlackvelvet is a jewel in the rough
Great information guys!!!

Last edited by Blackvelvet; 08-03-2007 at 09:41 PM..
Blackvelvet is offline   Quote

Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvelvet
Great information guys!!!

BV you little devil!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #11
Albert Hofmann
Blame Hofmann

Albert Hofmann has a spectacular aura aboutAlbert Hofmann has a spectacular aura aboutAlbert Hofmann has a spectacular aura about
I found a product at Home Depot that contains both sodium and potassium hydroxide. Here is the link to a picture http://www.scotchcorp.com/ it's the hair and grease drain opener in the black bottle.
Albert Hofmann is offline   Quote

Old 08-04-2007, 05:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Hofmann
I found a product at Home Depot that contains both sodium and potassium hydroxide. Here is the link to a picture http://www.scotchcorp.com/ it's the hair and grease drain opener in the black bottle.

Yes but what else is in it???? I was warned not to use anything unless it gives you the Specific concentrations like I said Roebic say ON THE BOTTLE 100% sodium Hydroxide. I would wait til you get a conformation from Someone IN THE KNOW about that product. I dont know so I cant say... Be patient someone very intelligent will enlighten you soon...

Old 08-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #13
Albert Hofmann
Blame Hofmann

Albert Hofmann has a spectacular aura aboutAlbert Hofmann has a spectacular aura aboutAlbert Hofmann has a spectacular aura about
I currently use Crystals of 100% Lye (aka sodium hydroxide or caustic salt) but when I saw this stuff at the store I was curious. It's a liquid so there has to be something else in it was wondering if maybe it's just water and therefore safe to use.
Albert Hofmann is offline   Quote

Old 08-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
scegy
Chanting Grower

scegy is a jewel in the roughscegy is a jewel in the roughscegy is a jewel in the roughscegy is a jewel in the rough
guys, in aquaponic system where health is important they use only KOH and CaOH
sodium ho sucks(builds up in ur system), they put it in our tap water to lower the ph(alla softener) bull shit

KOH and CaOH, don't take my words 100% as i haven't tried any of these, but i've read a lot on aquaponic systems and i've been working on one for some time now, KOH and CaOH isn't just a ph adjuster in aq. system, it is also a nutrient supplement(K and Ca) for growing plants with fruits(tomatoe etc.)

the point is to not add shit that plants/animals don't need in such dosages...if added too much it can show as a bad taste or burned plants etc.

ph should be maintained by you, not by ph up or down
using RO water helps you to keep the pH down, adding phosphor or pottasium ions brings the pH up again....then you can compensate with adding tap water that holds more +ions if you ph goes down or RO water if your ph goes up too much

ph up or down is needed when u fuck up the feeding/watering schedule

basicaly, read bio-tokes water chemistry or and kind off chemistry book involving ion balance in water suspensions.

hope i gave some info here, else sorry for babbling

Last edited by scegy; 08-04-2007 at 03:00 PM..
scegy is offline   Quote

Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #15
simba
Sleeping Dragon

simba has a spectacular aura aboutsimba has a spectacular aura aboutsimba has a spectacular aura about
i havent bought pH down in a year now sulfuric Batter acid all the way i go about one once to 16 ounces though id rather pour allot then a lil.. incase i spill not as bad.....

f

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Theodor Seuss Geisel

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." Dr. Carl Sagan

My Dr. has Recommended Medical Marijuana for the Treatment of my Ulcerative Colitis
I’m also prescribed Marinol (4, 5mg capsules Per day) Cost is Aprox $1,200.00 Per Month[/color]
simba is offline   Quote