Vegetable Glycerin Tincture of Cannabis
Background and Introduction
This primer is for a high quality vegetable glycerin based tincture. Information on vegetable glycerin is provided below. This tincture can be blended with food, drink or applied directly under the tongue. It will not burn or require alcohol like many other tinctures recipes I have found. As you will read below I believe vegetable glycerin is the absolute best solution available for maximum THC extraction in a liquid concentrate form.
I will not include a primer on how to make BHO (Blond Honey Oil), as this is outside of the scope to this document. I will however recommend you start with the highest quality material through out this process. It is my belief that a well purged BHO product that is then used in this process is as close to chemical free and pure THC as is attainable. I will also not debate ISO or any other concentrate methods, I am sure you can do this with plenty of other concentrates for an equally appealing good time. Please feel free to discuss your variations in this thread.
Background on Vegetable Glycerin
Vegetable Glycerin is a clear, colorless, and odorless liquid with an incredibly sweet taste having the consistency of thick syrup. It is used as an agent in cosmetics, toothpaste, shampoos, soaps, herbal remedies, pharmaceuticals, and other household items. It is soluble in both, water and alcohol.
Other uses include its solvency action which aide in extracting botanical properties from plant materials without the use of alcohol. This is especially helpful for those with alcohol sensitivities as most liquid herbal extracts contain alcohol. But given its severely limited shelf life, extracts made from Vegetable Glycerin typically have a shelf life of 14-24 months whereas alcohol extracts can have an extended shelf life of 4-6 years.
Vegetable glycerin comes to us through a very complex and sophisticated method of extraction known as Hydrolysis, and the end product that we refer to as "Vegetable Glycerin" is usually the by-product of another oils production. The basics of this system is that the fats and oils of a raw ingredient (usually palm or coconut oils) are split into crude glycerol fats, under the combined action of water, temperature and pressure. These temperatures can exceed 400° degrees and the material is usually kept under pressure for 20-30 minutes. What is actually occurring is a sort of "counter-flow" where the water absorbs glycerol from the fatty acid phase of the oil production. After this phase this glycerol is isolated and further distilled to give buyers a standard 99% Glycerin product.
Kettle of hot water
Vessel to soak vial in hot water
Butane Torch Style Lighter
1 gram well purged BHO
1 15ml amber vial with dropper
10ml Vegetable Glycerin
How to Make the Tincture
1. Place kettle of water on to boil
2. Fill your 15ml dropper bottle half full of glycerin. This will leave room for the BHO and the dropper, so as no to loose your precious liquid.
3. Carefully insert 1 gram of BHO into vial. A word of wisdom here, this is a very concentrated dosing. Please vary this component to your liking. Just be warned this is a very efficient method of THC extraction.
4. Seal vial with dropper lid.
5. Place sealed dropper in soaking vessel and cover with hot water. I like to use a small espresso cup so as to have enough room to soak the vial and change to water with one boiling pot.
6. Soak for 5 minutes and shake vigorously. The change the water and repeat for 30 minutes. I like to soak on all sides and upside down for a period of time and continuously shake.
7. Every 10 minutes I slowly crack the vial open for off gassing. Caution, the liquid is hot, it has expanded and some off gassing takes place. You will notice the rubber dropper top expands like a balloon.
8. Turn vial upside down and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. You will notice that a glob of dense BHO forms at the top below the air pocket.
9. Now with you butane torch lighter begin to heat the oil and glycerin from the outside of the vial as you rotate it. Do not get any one spot very hot or it will crack. You will see the BHO begin to bubble as liquefy. Shake it vigorously and do this for 5 minutes.
10. Let cool 5 minutes
11. Repeat step 9 and 10 until the glycerin cool thick and 90% of the BHO mostly dissolved and integrated into the glycerin.
12. let cool and stand for at least one hour.