What's new

125 watt LED grow

Gopher

I hope I have put this in the correct spot, it seemed like the appropriate one to me. I also hope I won't get flamed too badly for not showing a pic of the light or giving any technical specs, I am testing this light for a local lighting company (we have been working on LED grow lights for over 2 years now) and they have asked me not to show pics or give details. As I don't want to lost the opportunity to play with such wonderful toys I prefer to adibe by their requests.

I am yet another AN refugee and was journaling this grow on there but had to find a new home when they shut down their forums. Initially the grow was going to be a comparison of a 1K HPS against a 355 watt LED array but we suffered numerous problems with the LED early on and the poor plants spent more time with no light over them as they did with it over them. For the first 3 weeks of flower the only light they had was what splashed over from the HPS on the other side of the room. At that point a decision was made to go with a 125 watt LED, which we believe will perform as well as a 400 watt HPS.

I guess some details are in order. I grow in a (almost) 5' x 8' sealed room with full environmental controls including CO2, which was kept at 1400ppm. I grow fully organic using a hot soil mix comprised of a bag of 2-8-4 organic fertilizer, 2 bags of worm castings and a bale of Sunshine Mix #4. I reuse my soil repeatedly by refreshing it with half the amount of ferts and castings used in a new mix. I did run into some ph issues as being the stoner I am I kept forgetting to add lime when I refreshed the soil (this is the 6th grow for some of my soil). I top dress on day 1 and day 28 with high phosporus bat guano and this time around gave them unsulphered molasses in weeks 3, 5 and 6. They get Diamond Nectar and KarboBoost with every watering until the final week. I foliar with Diamnond Nectar every other day through the first 3 weeks of flower.

Here is a shot of the plants at around week 3 when they first got the new light over them.

G

They get Diamond Nectar and KarboBoost with every watering until the final week. I foliar with Diamnond Nectar every other day through the first 3 weeks of flower.
Heh heh...I think I ran into a buddy (?) of yours Gromer? Are you using the DN as a fulvic source? I dunno...the person that set me up on hydro said that's what it was for but probably no fulvic in there. Check out Aqua Serene's Roots Organics Ancient Amber fulvic product :yes:. What do you notice with the foliar of DN as opposed to not???

Gopher

Week 4 update

Week 4 update

Here is the plants at week 4, after they had been under the light for a week.

I guess I should mention the plants are in 2 gallon bags and the strains are Golden Skush and NL.

alphacat

Dunno about anybody else, but I'm pullin' up a chair for this one.

I think the primary reason why LED lights are still so contentious (especially on this site! So many naysayers...) is because there's not really a ready-made, off the shelf solution: either you're willing to sit down and wire up hundreds of the mofos plus the electronics to drive the thing (something most of us don't have either the time, expertise, or inclination to do) - or you're paying someone through the nose to do it for you.

Given the known limitations of low light penetration and expense, I still think LEDs will ultimately find their way into many growrooms... provided somebody can come up with a solution that's both cost effective and grow effective. There've definitely been some pioneers who've done it, but this looks really promising too.

Gopher: re: "355 watt LED array ... suffered numerous problems with the LED early on" - were these technical issues, perhaps to do with capacitors?

Gopher

Mountain said:
Heh heh...I think I ran into a buddy (?) of yours Gromer? Are you using the DN as a fulvic source? I dunno...the person that set me up on hydro said that's what it was for but probably no fulvic in there. Check out Aqua Serene's Roots Organics Ancient Amber fulvic product :yes:. What do you notice with the foliar of DN as opposed to not???

I have seen Gromer around but I don't know if we are buddies. Yes, I use the DN as a fulvic source or I guess a humate source. I have tried some of the purer fulvics and found I didn't get the same results I did when I used DN. I don't add the copious amounts GH recommends, I use it more to lower my ph.

I am always experimenting and adding/removing things from my mix so I can't say that the foliars with DN are actually doing anything but I have been happy with every grow I sprayed with it so I keep doing it. I do that with a lot of things that I can't really say help or not.

Gopher

Week 5 update

Week 5 update

Hey alphacat, yes it was a technical issue but I am not sure of the exact nature of it. I am by no means an expert on the technology, I am just the guy that gets to test the lights.

Here is how they looked in week 5, I think the performance is equal to that of a 400 given the start these plants had.

Gopher

Week 6 update

Week 6 update

Did I mention that the plants are now at week 9 and scheduled to come down tomorrow? I shall post pics of them right up to last night and the finish the thread with some harvest pics when they come down.

Here is a few shots of the plants in week 6.

Gopher

Week 7 update

Week 7 update

Here they are in week 7, this is when I start dropping temps, which I probably never mentioned earlier. In the first 6 weeks I run lights on temps of 84 and lights off temps of 76. I start dropping them down in week 7 on 9 week strains usually by a degree or two every couple of days and end up with the temps at 74 lights on and in the low 60's lights off. RH is maintained at 40% (+/- 3%) right through. I discontinue CO2 for the final 2 weeks as I am also a cheap buggar and don't feel the plants need it to ripen, at least I have seen no difference between running it to the end and stopping for the final 2 weeks.

Gopher

Hey knna, good to see you here. I had to find some place to let folks see how it turned out, lets hope I am not a jinx to this place too. So the plants all came down today. I had more NL's than anything in there and they had the worst reaction the soil ph. Some of them just grew all funky and didn't crank like the others did. I think these shots give us a good idea of how the light did so long as you factor in that they sat with no light directly over them for the first 3 weeks of flower. I was surprised with all the abuse these plants took that I didn't as much as see a nanner anywhere.

pumpkin2006

Not that I could even begin to add anything to this already awesome looking display of greatness... so I'll just compliment you.

Please Please Please Please Please, when these lights are coming out, let us know... when the time is right, what company is making em and maybe their stock ticker :muahaha:

Gopher

The last four

The last four

Here are the last 4 and a shot of all of them hanging to dry. Oh yeah, apparently I had a couple of my purples in there as well. I thought it was just Skush and NL . . .

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I'm impressed! Can't wait 'till LED's come on mainstream. I'm assuming that they were in an array of some sort.

Found on ebay.

G

Wow I am very impressed. Great work you are doing for us gopher. I am an electrical engineer and I have been seriously watching the development of the LEDs as a lighting source. The minimum energy use, the lack of heat (heat=wasted energy) and the fact that they last for ever is a revolution in all the lighting markets. I helped make a personal submarine for someone that used to own part of microsoft a few years ago that only had batteries for power. We used LED lighting there for the obvious reasons. Good show

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Look at what I found..........

Look at what I found..........

Would you believe screw ins that you can run like 50w or better for 80 cents a year?

go to ebay and look for this guy: ledwholsalers_inc

I just placed an order for a test run/ I may replace all the cfl's in the house with these.

G

Nice

Nice

Glad to see this round finish up brother. through many dangers, toils and snares. You did good boss, atleast on your end. LOL minus things that were beyond your control. I think it is an ass kickin' thing regardless. Even without lights the whole run your green thumb managed to get in there and keep it movin forward.

Love it bro.

I will try and hit on you on the email thing...No guarentees cause we are still on pm restriction. Really interested in the ol' smoke report from you and the rest of the squad. Hope you are well brother.

thanks goph.

oh yeah and just in case someone posted an LED replacement bulb for your bathroom if you need one in there. LOL they must of known.

Last edited: