What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Polyploidy

BagAppeal

Anybody out there have some ployploidy or trifoligae they got pics of.

in veg

In bloom

Spider pig. Own creation

Here are some more pics.

check the stem

check the top. there are so many new leafs forming.
I will take some more pics in better light conditons..
Anybody got any info on this??Other than what I find in the books??

Last edited:

BagAppeal

Trfoliate

Trfoliate

heres a clone only strain I got from a good friend.
Petri, copyrighted vatican strain-- :jump: Ill post more pics when I get the chance.. I'll put some when they are bigger, and mayb some in flowering..

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
What makes you think that plants exhibitting this trait are polyploids?

BagAppeal

What? it has all the traits wich are described in the newest breeding bible, if I get some better pictures, U will see it. A friend of mine said he had seen one like this in a swiss breeding facility, and that was one out of ten thousand seeds. So I am quite sure, after having affirmed it by many others as well. Check out the pics, and see if you see something you've seen before. It get three sets of leaves at the time, It bulges out at the internodes, the stem is flat and wide, and it is just looking weirdera nd weirder.. Any reason you think it isn't a triploid??

Last edited:

Brownpants

Polyploidy is the condition of some biological cells and organisms manifested by the presence of more than two homologous sets of chromosomes. Polyploid types are termed according to the number of chromosome sets in the nucleus: triploid (three sets; 3x), tetraploid (four sets; 4x), pentaploid (five sets; 5x), hexaploid (six sets; 6x) and so on.

Polyploid plants tend to be larger and better at florishing in early succession habitats such as farm fields.[citation needed] In the breeding of crops, the tallest and best thriving plants are selected for. Thus, many crops (and agricultural weeds) may have unintentionally been bred to a higher level of ploidy.

The induction of polyploids is a common technique to overcome the sterility of a hybrid species during plant breeding. For example, Triticale is the hybrid of wheat (Triticum turgidum) and rye (Secale cereale). It combines sought-after characteristics of the parents, but the initial hybrids are sterile. After polyploidization, the hybrid becomes fertile and can thus be further propagated to become triticale.

In some situations polyploid crops are preferred because they are sterile. For example many seedless fruit varieties are seedless as a result of polyploidy. Such crops are propagated using asexual techniques such as grafting.

Polyploidy in crop plants is most commonly induced by treating seeds with the chemical colchicine.

Storm Crow

Veteran
Thank you, Brownpants!

Thank you, Brownpants!

I get tired explaining the difference between whorled phyllotaxy and polyploidism! One of these days they will learn (I hope). Thanks for saving me the trouble this time!- Granny :joint:

BagAppeal

thanks for the info,, anyone got pics of something like this??by the way, mine got, like this, without colchine, and when the seed came up it had tree leaves, not to like regurlary

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Bagappeal, for more info click on my 3 plus 3 = ? thread, highlighted in yelow in my signature. Plenty of good reading to be had there with links explaining a few theories.

BagAppeal

Great,thanks.. Ill fill in some more info here as well.. Ill be posting some pictures in here later today of mine.. I got me a camera with better quaality..

Last edited:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Heres a pic of a mutant original haze cutting which looks sort of like those last few pics.The mother plant didn't exhibit this mutation flaterning of the stem and multi nodes which only turned up in 1 clone after taking a few cuttings of the same mother which were all treated exactly the same,probably from inbreeding.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
We all know Ricky is a joke. Ask him for pictures of more than one plant at a time displaying the traits. If his seeds breed true, then that wont be a problem for him.

I had one of my DP’s do this, I just took it as an inbreeding problem. It was crazy, putting out three sets of leaves in the beginning and more as it matured until it was this crazy mutant ball of shit. The bud had about two times it’s own weight in leaves growing from it! It’s weird because the plant was topped really young and grew into two main stems that were bent sideways but only one side showed this trait, the other was perfectly normal.

Here’s a shot of the main cola from that side, notice the flat stem and flat oval shaped bud (minus it’s ton’s of leaves)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/warrickd/DSC01752.jpg

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Faciated stems are not something you want for quality or yield. This is where the stem flattens out and makes a dragons eye on top.
As for polyploids or triploids they have nothing to do with whorled phyllotaxy which is three branches instead of two. I have not found that the whorled phyllotaxy breed true when I tried a few times. You also find many more males then females with whorled phyllotaxy.

-SamS

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
I have not found that the whorled phyllotaxy breed true when I tried a few times. You also find many more males then females with whorled phyllotaxy.

-SamS

right on, yet a nother one of those "recessive" things that makes stabelization of polyhybrid traits an irritant.... :spank:

Peace Sam, bub. :joint:

BagAppeal

Great info guys. I'll be posting some more pics soon..
My plants started out with three leaves instead of two from sprout, and then it got the weird stem after the fitfth internode somewhere.. Are these trais of both polyploid and phyllotaxy?? Ill get some better pics..
That rick guy was waaaaaaaaay overpriced. I would normally not say this, but it seem a bit too much. Even if it is as great as he says.. I know a friend of mine had a medicine man exhibt flat stem traits, and it yielded more han all the other plants, and became a monster. We are gonna cross the poly I have with some different males, so if the traits are transferred, there well be beans for testers..
I read this about colchicine treatment of normal plants to make ployploid crosses, it wold be interesting if this could be done naturally, and produce a stable offspring, with time..:
"Dusting the OVA.
The ova of the female plants are dusted withpowdered colchicine before they are pollinated. These seeds produced are planted. These plants will be dwarfs. Upon maturity tha males are allowed to pollinate the females, but the females are protected from pollination from any other male plants. These seeds produced by this mating plant are polyploidal and will develop into giant plants of great potency. As long as pollination from alien males never occurs, all of these seeds produced in the future generations of these plants will also be polyploidal." "Growing Extraordinary Marijuana-Adam Gottlieb"

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Sam, just pointing out that your high male ratio may have been one of those luck of the draw types of things. I'm finding a fairly even split between males and females on my trifoliars.
Bag, lots of peeps have now explained that 3 per node does not a polyploid make.

BagAppeal

So would you say my plants are what??phyllotaxy, trifoliates, plyploid, or something else?? judging by the pics
Tell me if I am asking stupid, might just be me thats too stoned..
I hear what you say about peeps explaining it, but also, a lot has not fitted my situation, we have all females on every "poly" or mutant if you will..so for me, the story telling most are males do not fit,, this is why I am asking for mre info,, since there normaly is a lot more info..

Latest posts

Latest posts