What's new

Cheap DIY Flood table ideas......

meduser180056

How do you all make your own flood tables?

I was pricing them at the hydro store and a 4x4 table is $100!
There has to be a cheaper way.

I've read a lil about constructing your own and using pond liner or something?

Also I've read about people using giant rubbermaid tubs...

Any links to a step by step guide on building one?

Any suggestions?

I simply don't have the money to buy em so I'm gonna have to figure something out.

Go to homedepot and get a couple mortar pan they are rubber like plastic.they work great. Buy the flood&drain kits at the hydro shop and there you go.The start of this post at the top there are tutors you can read and the grow fag.If you need more help holler at me. PEACE

Here, I hope this helps, It is a complete guide on setting up a ebb & flow veg room / flowering room.

http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/854221/Cannabis_Marijuana_Growing_Videos_RESEED

Don't know if you have a torrent downloader, but if you need someone to seed for you just pm me. This video, although ridiculous, cleared a lot of my questions up. Not to mention, this guy is fucking funny. One second hes on the ball telling you what needs to be done. Next second, hes a total stoned fuck-up. Nothing wrong with that though I guess. It's just hilarious, the way he switches around. You can literally tell exactly when hes stoned out of his mind.

Its a good video though for your average learner to see. If you need a torrent downloader I suggest TorrentTornado. It takes up a small amount of RAM and fulfills its job.

Have a good time and always be safe.

-CT

pumpkin2006

Rip off on your hydro store. I got the black (I know, white is better; but these were GOOD black) tables that were $100, and guess what? 4'x8'.

But, if you really wanna do it. Go buy 4 - 2"x12" at $9. a piece a 4'x8' sheet of cheep wood (can't remember the name) $7 bucks. Staple gun $10. Pond liner 10'x10' sheet for $40 (www.pondliner.com). With all that, and some simple cuts that lowes or home depot can do for you, you can have 2 - 4'x4' tables.... but you gotta buy some 4"x4" posts for legs as well.

But just that stuff is $75 without tax for 2 - 4'x4' tables. With legs and wheels (I suggest it) I would say around... $110 with tax and can all be bought at lowes or home depot (except pond liner).

Meduser- If I read you correctly, then this video is for you. It will tell you exactly how to set-up a ebb & flow. I learned a lot from this video that you cannot learn from forums without detailed descriptions and photos.

Dont get me wrong, forums have also shown me things that no video could ever show me. The people on here are extremely helpful and care about your or my project.

Later

-CT

mrbush

i just built this one the a few weeks ago
I bought those orange trays and tied them together. Each tray holds 18 4x4 cubes so i can do 36 at a time
the trays cost $12 each. I added a fish pump to airiate it and a fountain pump to deliver the nutes. And i bought 3 10 gallon storage containers $5 each
i set the trays on the tubs and cut a hole in the lid of one of them. It works very well so far :redface:

EZlistener

i've made mine from 6mm plywood 6x2 ft and 6"x1" for the walls, stapled pond liner to it (had some fun working the corners out), cost me under £25, your local hydro store will have flood n drain fittings £1.50, you'll need 2, water in and overflow

Last edited:

meduser180056

Thanks for all the help everybody.

I'm gonna go with the pond liner idea. I found a 10x12 sheet of liner at HD for $60.

how thick does the plywood tabletop need to be? 6mm sounds good.

Staplegun is the best way to secure the pond liner?

Also I wanna skip legs and just set the tables on upside down 5 gallon buckets.
Will that work?

Does the table need to be slanted to towards the drain?

Thanks again for all the help.

I'm hoping to build 3 tables for around $100.

I'm not gonna be actually using this table for ebb and flow style.
I'm gonna do a drip with slabs so all I'm gonna need is a drain in the table.

Last edited:

meduser180056

How thin is too thin for the plywood?

Is angling necessary? I'm thinking probably not just makes it drain quicker.

Thanks for the help Pumpkin. Any your right Hydro store was a rip. Those were the nice Botanicare 4x4 trays that were $100. I asked about a cheaper way and was answered with blank stares. Typical hydro store BS acting like there is no DIY way.

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
mrbush said:
i just built this one the a few weeks ago
I bought those orange trays and tied them together. Each tray holds 18 4x4 cubes so i can do 36 at a time
the trays cost $12 each. I added a fish pump to airiate it and a fountain pump to deliver the nutes. And i bought 3 10 gallon storage containers $5 each
i set the trays on the tubs and cut a hole in the lid of one of them. It works very well so far :redface:

Where did you get the trays from, and wgat were they designed to be used for these will work perfect for me thanks

pumpkin2006

meduser180056 said:
How thin is too thin for the plywood?

Is angling necessary? I'm thinking probably not just makes it drain quicker.

Thanks for the help Pumpkin. Any your right Hydro store was a rip. Those were the nice Botanicare 4x4 trays that were $100. I asked about a cheaper way and was answered with blank stares. Typical hydro store BS acting like there is no DIY way.

I wouldn't go lower then 1/2", but 3/4" would probably be a good idea.

Also, most hydro store guys get stuff for super cheap, so they've never had to explore DIY options. I know who store owner who will front you up to 10G's in equipment, if your cool with him; thats the kinda money he's throwing around.

mrbush

smoke1sun said:
Where did you get the trays from, and wgat were they designed to be used for these will work perfect for me thanks

well i bought the trays at my local grow shop. I think they were designed for what i am using them for. I know the blocks sure fit nice. I could add two more very easy if i wanted to. Next time i would not make a manifold like i made thought. I would just run a soaker hose over top of the plants.

(2 days growth) since the other picture

meduser180056

Well I went out and bought 10x12 pond liner.
2 4x8 1/2inch plywood boards
5 8 foot long boards
some screws
circle hole cutter

Borrowed a staple gun and an electric saw from a friend.

Total cost $110 for 1 4x8 table and one 4x4 table.

I'll let you all know how it goes after I build it today. Should be a breeze.

meduser180056

Well it wasn't a breeze, but not so bad. I'm not to familiar with construction so I had a couple bumps in the road. Took a couple hours.

Only thing I still don't have figured is the drains.

I cut the holes for the drains, but I'm not sure if I should put some kind of pipe or just let the water slosh right out. I'm worried about it getting under the pond liner and getting the plywood wet. Guess I need to get some waterproof epoxy or something to fix that.

clowntown

Veteran
I know you said DIY... but look at it my way.

I have a Botanicare 3x3 white tray. It's very thick and sturdy, and has the very useful drain channels built in. Cost me $70, but I could have gotten a used one cheaper. I will never have to worry about getting the wrong side wet, or puncturing the liner, or having to spend a lot of time, trips to the store, and so on building it. In the long run getting a proper table, even if with a higher entry price and a bit of a sticker shock ("What?! $100 for a 4x4 piece of plastic?"), pays off. This table will last me practically forever.

The only reason I would build it is if I needed a custom table for large operations, or a specific shape to fit a specific situation. You know, something along the lines where a real table doesn't make sense.

There's also some investment value as well. Try selling your DIY made table when you're done with it and move to a different type of growing system or away from the hobby altogether.

Spend the bucks and do it right; it pays off in the end in more ways than one. :yes:

Just my :2cents: of course...

meduser180056

mmhmm

When your as poor as I am saving $200 means a lot.

If I had the money to spend I would have bought some nice ones. I looked at it your way Clown, but my wallet didn't share my perspective.

The tables I built will do just fine for now.

Any tips on how to set up a nice waterproof drain?

Latest posts

Latest posts