What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slow Iso & Activated Carbon Filter

fuzygrowth

hey guys, just want to share this with you. I've done this process once before with great results. basically it's an iso extraction, but you go ahead and let that stuff sit for as long as you'd like. personally i dry it as much as possible using Damprid and then powder it as fine as possible. You then soak your powdered nugs/trim as long as you want, normally i soak and shake for a couple of days. you end up with an almost black liquid. there is ALOT of gunk in there.

All you need to do is filter this crap out.. but how?? you build yourself a simple activated carbon filter using 1 1/2" pvc , a funnel, and some metal screening. here are some pics to show what i mean, sorry i didn't have the cam while actually doing the build, so the pics are after the fact.

First step is to take a piece of 1 1/2" pvc , don't know how long is best, but this is 24 inches long. You heat up a piece of metal with a torch or even a cheap frying pan over the stove and you put your screen on top of it and press your pvc pipe over the screen untill the screen melts into the pipe . like this

81102007_06_05_00007.jpg

then go ahead and cut off your excess screen and sand the pvc so it's smooth and will fit into a coupler easily.

You then go ahead and fill this with some washed activated charcoal , make sure you pack it every few inches you fill, you don't want your iso to channel it's way down, you want as much contact with the carbon as possible.

81102007_06_05_00002.jpg

Pack it as high up as you can then put a piece of screen in there and secure it using some epoxy , i don't know what it's called but it's that epoxy that you have to knead and mix with your fingers and it comes out looking like clay, it'll look like this when you're finished.

81102007_06_05_00008.jpg

Good, now you pretty much have the filter built, at least the main part anyway. if you wanted to you can go ahead and pour your iso through this but it's not very convenient, so i made a little funnel for the top by cutting off the tip of a funnel and using epoxy to secure it to a 1 1/2" coupler.

81102007_06_05_00006.jpg

81102007_06_05_00005.jpg

OK sweet, we could add one more convenience item to this. a way to stop the flow if your container fills up with iso would be pretty cool right? luckily this is easy to do , just again use a coupler and what ever configuration you want at the bottom, in this case it's coupler + 1 1/2" - 1/2" bushing to what ever spigot this is, don't remember the size, think it's 3/8's . anyway, doesn't matter, what ever you come up with.

81102007_06_05_00004.jpg

thats it, you are done. put it all together and this is what you get.

81102007_06_05_00009.jpg

81102007_06_05_00003.jpg

i plan doing an extraction sometime next week with about 2 oz's of super dried powdered nugs. Wish i could do it tomorrow but gonna be pretty busy all week. Stay tuned there are more pics to come, thanks for reading fellas.

81102007_06_05_00001.jpg

Last edited:

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Well, can't wait to see when you run it man.. Will work really good too for smaller extractions too, just modify the size of the Act. Carbon filter.

Good Idea fuzy

fuzygrowth

quick wash produces very high quality product but lacks as far as yield.... this way you are getting every last bit possible out of the plant material. thats about the only benefit, i mean, aside from it being fun to make stuff.

stealthballer

yeah I want more yeild with a tenth the potency!!!

sorry dude just busting balls, I have done this and it makes shit watered down iso that tastes like ass. I mean that in the best way possible.

sorry I worked a 15 hour shift today and am tired as hell.

just do a few quick washes man, way better quality control.

fuzygrowth

i'm not sure you followed this same method, the black/green alcohol that goes in the top comes out the other side perfectly clear, it removes all the unwanted junk. i dunno, it's hard to explain/believe. we'll have to wait for the pics of the actual extraction.

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
@stealthballer- theres more than one way to skin a cat ;)

with all due respect, i have my doubts that you have actually done this--
if so, you must have a faulty technique :confused:
that or a crazy high tolerance because ANY oil gets me lifted...even shitty long-soak black tar

lmao

i'll try fuzy's tek, verbatim, and get back to the thread with my results. itll work fine im sure.

id love to yield more with my liquid solvent extractions. cuz doin multiple pulls is a pain in the ass.
so for those that do second 3rd or even 4th pulls, this teknique is golden ;)

be weLL!

kiwi quad

hi,i have a z-carbon filter that i use for filtering home made spirits and used it to filter some iso that was practibly black and it came out clear as,these things are quite cheap and have all the connections so you can hookit up and leave it

stealthballer

lol, I have been making iso and BHO for freaking ever, I have done pretty much this exact thing, I tried more carbon les carbon etc etc etc. Its an inferior product to quick wash at the end of the day. That's all I was saying earlier. I was in a bad mood, and I apoligise.

tolerance aside I can taste the difference. I did nothing but oil for over a year, I guess I got very keen senses to it. I can't stand the taste of dirty iso, and the differences between how much it took me to get high were huge. Pin drop size of rock hard qwiso versus about 5 times as much to get me twisted of dirty stuff, and the taste was awful. The carbon helps the taste a bit, but in all honesty I don't think the carbon won't also pull out good shit. I would always run iso through my tube a few times after to get any residual shit in there, and I always would. So, Not knocking the idea, I had the same ideas, I just found it to be extra steps for inferior product.

the only suggestion I have for this method is figure out a way to do it with no plastics involved. Solvents plus plastics=no no. I had a picture of my old setup I used, it was pretty much all glass save the screen at the bottom. Will post if I find it.

Not pissing on anyones parades just stating my experiences. Again I am sorry for the harshness of my previous reply.

Last edited:
V

vhGhost

i'm going to keep my eye on this thread... very interesting!!!

I like this, because i can do a quick run 60-90sec, for the primo!! followed by "i soak and shake for a couple of days." method and see what you missed. Granted it won't be the bomb, like the 60sec rinse but it will do the job!

I like it ! - and since it filters out the bad shit it shouldn't be harsh at all.

Last edited:

scruffy

rock on, man! way to be innovative and curious. nice work on building your contraption.

I will watch this and see how it all goes, want to see some final product, but sounds like a good way to get some use out of stuff that I pitch anyway. Besides, if it sucks I'll just give it to some mooching douchebag, they'll think they died and went to heaven!

I've tried to use activated carbon to clean over soaked oil as well.
I've never have been able to get the carbon quite clean enough.

I've thought of pros as being:

Higher likely hood of the trichome cells being filtered leaving more goo than solids.

Less waste of resins {I've noticed this as well with natural alcohol vs. iso, I can at least put the left over plant material into some butter or olive oil unlike with toxic iso}

V

vhGhost

ok guys i have my activated carbon... lets see some action .... if not i'm thinking of making a personal filter ... just for smoking. lol

fuzygrowth

alright... i'm back, waited just long enough to make y'all think i was full of shit :) . the process has begun. I started out with exactly 140 grams of powdered nuggage. split the material into 2 half gallon jars. so if your math is good thats 70 grams per jar. i then added almost a half gallon of 91% iso to each jar and shook the hell out of it. then let it sit, tomorrow i'll go check them out, will probably have to pour out the iso, and add another half gallon, i have 4 gallons and can always buy more so we'll just keep doing it till all the trichs are dissolved. now, what you came for... the pics.

originally had 110 grams of powdered nugs before i found a sac laying around with about an oz in it, so i went ahead and chopped it up just like the rest, here's what it looked like

8110Image00010.jpg

one of these choppers cost about 15 bucks at walmart.

8110Image00008.jpg

i came up with like 137 grams or something so i had to add a little bit of scissor hash and some nugs to make it an even 140 grams.

8110Image00006.jpg

8110Image00005.jpg

as stated above we split it into 2 jars each containing 70 grams of nuggage .

8110Image00004.jpg

time to filler up

8110Image00001.jpg

8110Image00002.jpg

thats about all thats been done so far. i shook these jars and mixed it all up pretty good, after about 5-10 minutes it settled to the bottom and here's how it looked, pretty cool eh? i guess those are undissolved trichomes, we'll have to add more iso tomorrow.

8110IMG_1746.JPG

like i said, it has begun, no turning back now. lets make some decent oil eh. :) stay tuned you guys.

8110Image00003.jpg

Cool shit definatly

In my opinion though, I don't think it's the right way to do it. For one thing, if you could short wash and not get all the nasty shit - Why not? You could short wash THEN go through the carbon filter resulting in top quality oil (I think)

I've tried a fairly short rinse, then filtered like yours - and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. Maybe it was the way I did it -

Good luck and please post the results.. hopefully you get some killer oil :smokre:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I like the idea of using carbon to correct a mistake but come on ,soaking so long isn't necessary. That's adding more steps and more work that isn't necessary. I would bet if i soaked my material (for a day) that was already washed for 30 seconds, that the results would be minuscule.