Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Greek Kalamata - Identify Lineage

Thread Title Search
Greek Kalamata - Identify Lineage Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2007, 06:40 AM #1
l33t
Banned

l33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nice
Greek Kalamata - Identify Lineage

hello all

Firstly let me say I have been growing and smoking marijuana for a long time now . When I started smoking cannabis I could only get hold of outdoor pure sativa buds for most of the times...I was introduced to indoor buds few years back.. The best strain I have smoked was Greek Kalamata ... Too trippy , but at the same time clear high ,gives you 'cinematic vision' , the effect is elevation , like you are flying and you can't stop laughing with this thing .
Very motivational too. Also the potency is very high , meaning the amount you have to take to get the desired effect .It distorts time and hearing as well , its not very long lasting , high lasts about 1 and half hour or so , but the high profile is very special.

Now, before some years I started growing my own cannabis but I was highly disappointed by most landrace sats and the new world/dutch hybrids I tried... and let me tell you I have tried quite a few of them... c99/super silver haze/white widow/kali mist/a11/SourDiesel/Blueberry/Afghani/Skunk etc..etc ... Some of them are indeed very potent tasty n and special but nothing could match the high profile from the strain named Kalamata . I had been smoking the kalamata strain for quite some time... so I dont think my point of view is biased. One strain that really reminds me Kalamata in terms of high not taste or smell , it's Nevilles Haze , so I believe the Kalamata strain perhaps has its ancesty in Thai or maybe Colombian genetics... I have many Kalamata seeds but I havent grown them yet , due to the reason I am not sure if it is the real deal and I cant afford a bad crop(low yield/low potency) at the moment .

Well basically I am looking for your help .... please help me identify where do you think this strain has its roots . Does it indeed remind you of SouthEastAsian sativas , or maybe Colombian sativas ? I am pretty sure ,even if they are coming from SEAsian genetics , today they are not the same , as the Kalamata needs no more than 14 weeks to finish , so this suggests that it has been acclimatized ( or selected by the farmers ) to the Greek weather and has been grown for a long time.

Thank you very much for taking the time to identify this legendary strain.

( I also know that these pics are not of the highest quality.. but it is enough to see the bud and leaf structure )

Kalamata in mid flowering....
(both pics plants were NOT grown by me)

Last edited by l33t; 06-02-2007 at 08:51 PM..
l33t is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:38 AM #2
darthvapor
is a nerd

darthvapor will become famous soon enoughdarthvapor will become famous soon enoughdarthvapor will become famous soon enough
wow shes definitely a sexy sativa. Looks like nothing I have ever grown. I want to know more about her too. Ive never seen leaves so long and thin like that.
darthvapor is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 PM #3
Herbalistic
Herbal relaxation...

Herbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of lightHerbalistic is a glorious beacon of light
Herbalistic has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
That is nice looking sativa. I have only heard, that Kalamata is landrace from Greek, but nothing from it´s ancestors. It´s very hard to solve the exact heritage, because it´s been cultivated so long and everybody looks it as a native landrace...

However, the budstructure reminds me of African sativas, with those fluffy pistil pushing buds. I can understand why you think it got thai in it´s heritage when looking those leaves!

Enjoy your Kalamata l33t! Have you thought making more beans and send them growers worldwide, so it´s going to be preserved (at least with small genepool)

Fly Free Angel!!!
-Medjool-
R.I.P

My hash/oil thread
African Strains
Testing my cross: Neville´s Haze x Purps
Some Blockhead pix & macros

Herbalistic is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2007, 12:59 PM #4
l33t
Banned

l33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nicel33t is just really nice
Hey herbalistic thanks for dropping by

These plants are not mine , it is my friends...

I indeed think I can see some African genes in these(Malawi Gold or Durban Poison). The only problem is that I havent smoked these plants I show you pics and I dont know if they are the same Kalamata I am talking about ... so I cannot vouch for their authenticity ... I have smoked many "supposedly" Kalamata for over ten years and only some of them were true Kalamata with the legendery high .... I have seeds from Kalamata but most of them were gifted so , again , I cannot vouch for their authenticity , I will have to grow them to tell for sure before sending them to a reputable breeder for preservation but I thought it would be nice to get some opinions... By the way I have posted a link ( my first post ) with a video from many kalamata plants ( grown locally ) ... please have a look at the video and tell me what you think...

Do you guys see any resemblance with this Durban Poison ( not grown by me ) ?

Maybe the leaf detail of this pure colombian [ props to albous ]

Last edited by l33t; 06-02-2007 at 02:06 PM..
l33t is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2007, 01:33 PM #5
JimmyEatWorld

JimmyEatWorld will become famous soon enough
l33t,

Nice to see these pictures again!

14 weeks flowering indoors ?
My speculation about Greek strains,which i believe its the most accurate,after some reading is that their origin is Turkey,Middle East.As hashish production began with immigrants coming from Cyprus,Egypt,Syria in the mid-late 19th century, strains from these areas most have also came and adopt here. Keep in mind that strains from these countries are not C.Indica, there all C.Sativa. Dont also forget that original Turkish hashish could be very cerebral.

About African germ plasm, i really dont know.A lot of growers are growing imported varietes from the late 1980s (in my experience), so who knows ? Last autumn i saw some freshly harvested buds from a "Columbian" and "African" variety grown here in Greece.The African was a Swazi. But both were immature,leafy. They can mature here,but the growers cannot wait that long.

Nice to see a thread like that here

Last edited by JimmyEatWorld; 06-02-2007 at 01:35 PM..
JimmyEatWorld is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 PM #6
l33t
Banned

I have seen your posts before about saying that Greek cannabis plants are originating from Turkey and middle east ... which is not the case in my opinion . I have never seen a landrace Turkish Cannabis sativa ( or never reported by a reputable source ) , only Turkish indicas . Perhaps I am wrong but please dont quote the book from Robert Clarke ... he was not there... and perhaps he has never smoked Greek landrace sativa like most of the reputable breeders . And he actually speaks for the 18 century and after... Greek sativas are way older... Don't really trust the book you read ... its pretty much made from some Historical facts ( like invasion from Turks etc.. ) but they have little connection to the Cannabis cultuvation in previous centurys... Landrace Greek Sativas from Thraki are reported by Herodotes around 400BC to be some of the best .. Most landrace Turkish cannabis plants are indica and they coma from Pakistan and nearby areas from what I know.

What you have to understand is that Kalamata and Crete have significant ports and they were major cultural exchange centres / trade centers ( if that makes sense ) ... I mean that many ships came from all over the known world to trade for different products ( which makes sense that cannabis seeds were exchanged aswell ) . So if you are looking for facts ... try to find reports from those days ... Robert Clarke speak s for 18-19 century and basically for hash ( not weed ) , as far as Greek hash is concerned ... which is only a page from the big book of history .. Btw I have never heard of landrace Cannabis Sativa in either Turkey ,Middle East , Cyprus , Egypt nor Syria . I need to see some facts and photos

I am pretty sure in Kalamata or Crete you can finish plants even in Feb/March.... I have read that many Colombian seeds were brought to Crete . Even bananas can be cultivated in Crete... Crete has the lowest latitude in Europe and is the same as Maroco / Tunisia etc... So I dont see what you mean that you cannot finish properly a pure Colombian sativa...

Btw do you know that Cannabis is a greek word mate ? It originates from Thraki ... and btw Greeks were the first European civilization to have spreaded almost all over the known-world at BC times , so it is quite logical that they brought seeds from the places like Africa and Asia.

have fun friend

I also found this pic again from albous ( Colombian sativa )

I find the leaves pretty similar ... What do you guys think ?

Last edited by l33t; 06-02-2007 at 02:24 PM..
l33t is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:13 PM #7

Very cool post!!!!!

Wish i could help,that sativa looks great and i
would love to try some in my tropical climate?

For those who know i post over at PG at the greek forum!(BLG)
This is my blood and i love greece it has the BEST climate for
humans living on earth,clean dry,warm,fresh,beautifull and most
folks have a REAL heart with very close families not to mention
the NEVER ENDING HISTORY no one can match PERIOD!!

Had some folks say they would send me some before my dad died??
Never happened......

Oh' that high you decsribe sounds like the old days friend!!
A REAL HIGH that takes you up floating out of your chair.....
body also not just head, oh those old days!
Yah i have tried lots of new shot too some good but NOT the true
thick float you away weed of the old days.......

THanks for the story and i hope it is real GREEK GENES!!
The weed does NOT look like columbian,looks like a south american
gene i have?....but the buds are not tight to the main stem like yours?
Anyway good luck,good thread!

Last edited by Lougrew!; 06-02-2007 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 04:22 PM #8
l33t
Banned

Hey Lougrew!

Thank you very much for your reply.You re right about Greece

So any pics of the strain you have that looks like kalamata? :smile:

Last edited by l33t; 06-02-2007 at 04:25 PM..
l33t is offline Quote

Old 06-02-2007, 04:30 PM #9

Maybe i have a pic l33t....

Lets see?

sorry l33t thought i have a better close up?
You can see the leaf in the bottom pic...
But i would say my plant is a more creeper style?

Old 06-02-2007, 04:40 PM #10
l33t
Banned

Yes I can see a resemblance in the leaf detail... especially in your last pic... But the second pic doesnt really resemble the plant structure and leaf distribution . Can you please have a look at the video link I posted in my first post and tell me what you think ? There are full plant shots outdoor grown from different stages ... I know the quality is not the best but you can get an idea of how they grow in their natural environment ( youtube requires an account , because this video is censored )

btw do you find any resemblance to african strains ? The reason I am saying this is because Kalamata strain finishes under 10-14 weeks and many african strains are fast finishers too...

Thanks again for taking the time to post the pics
l33t is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.