What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

salt and bubblebags...

420guy

just a quick question about bubblebags...if one were to add salt to the ice/water mixture the temperature would get several degrees cooler than not adding the salt...but would the salt interfere with the end product...i have the seven bag set-up and have made many,many runs producing excellent bubble hash and just saw something on the tube about ice/salt dropping temps...i tried the experiment without any product and tested temps myself and they were 9-11 degrees cooler both times...maybe a silly question, but i thought i'd throw it out there...stay safe

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the hash would be salty, how could it not? ...I wouldnt try it, just add more ice to make it colder, but thats just my 2 cents tho :)

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
seems like a bad idea to me :chin:

salt water and buds mixed seems weird. you talking about rock salt too right?

maybe if you could have some way of keeping the salty ice water seperated but in radiant contact with the regular ice water. like making home made ice cream.. you don't mix the salt water in..

G

We need ilife here. He says he uses RO water. We should ask him the benifits of using RO water.

ilife

I would never add salt to make my ice-water extractions colder. If you start with cold water and use the right amount of ice then there should not be a problem with the water being cold enough.

Yes if possible use Reverse Osmosis water for a cleaner extraction. No calcium build up on your resin.

iLiFE

G

ilife said:
I would never add salt to make my ice-water extractions colder. If you start with cold water and use the right amount of ice then there should not be a problem with the water being cold enough.

Yes if possible use Reverse Osmosis water for a cleaner extraction. No calcium build up on your resin.

iLiFE

Thanx for the tip. I knew you would come through. :wave:

Dkgrower

Veteran
I think the biggest problem is that all the salts that will be dissolved in the water.
Some of that will be traped in ice hashish and when put to dry, the water will evaporate slowly and the salt concentration in the water get´s higher as the water is evaporating. At one point the water will get saturated and the salt´s will precipitate on the trichomes.

G

What if you made an ice bath with salt and ice, then set your bucket into that. You could do it in the bathtub or a rubbermaid tub. Not a bad idea, but probably a lot of extra work.

G

Grasso

Hello,

cold leaves loose the resin glands more easily than warm leaves do. Salted ice water should make the process more effective and faster. Sweet water should be rinsed through the wet resin powder in order to get rid most of the salt. Some salt will have diffused into the gland cells, and salted weed tastes strange, hence the outcome is not certain.

Uli

G

This is just a quick thought BUT wouldn't rock salt be good for smoking melty hash due to the salt absorbing the hash while still allowing heat to get transfered to the hash for vaporization due to salts high rate of absorption for heat?.

It seems this will allow for a more effecient form of smoking herb and hash because the salt will absorb the heat and transfer it to the herb/hash at a consistent and controllable rate if the flame is applied directly ABOVE the salt covered herb and NOT directly on the salt covered herb which means more thc and other chemicals can be extracted without a lot of degradation. Basically a cheap, simple form of vaporization which is good for people who don't feel the need for vaporizing at certain temperatures. It also is perfect for hash and oil because these things require higher temperatures for more efficient vaporization in a quick time unlike bud which requires lower temperatures to achieve the same effect.

If salt come through the screen, water can pick it up and prevent it from entering the lungs.

This is what cooks do when they encrust a fish in salt and put it into an oven on high heat and the fish doesn't burn AND all the qualities come out while still being juicy.

I think "cleaning" the salts before using with herb will be important to get rid of trace minerals by heating up the salt to 400f for 30 minutes. Just a thought I had. Don't kill me for it. lol. Peace

Last edited:
G

This will help explain what I'm writing about but think about using herb and straight salt instead of eggs and fish:

http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/sea-salt-baked-lapu-lapu-grouper-a-la-marketman

This is an impressive, delicious and very easy dish to make. All of the ingredients are readily available at most seaside towns or good seafood markets in major cities and yet so few people seem to have ever attempted the recipe. If you happen to have access to a reef fresh lapu-lapu (grouper) or maya-maya (snapper), simply de-gut it and scale it then rinse and dry it with paper towels. Prepare a stuffing for the cleaned out stomach cavity if you like (stuffing is not necessary). I prepared a quick sauté of thinly sliced fennel, onions, tomatoes and Italian parsley. Stuff the fish (here I used two small fish totalling 1 kilo in weight; these were a bit small, try to get a 1 to 1.5 kilo single fish) and prepare a salt crust. For a 1 to 1.5 kilo fish, take about 2.5 kilos of good rock salt and place it in a large bowl…

salt4

In another small bowl, beat about 4-5 egg whites until a bit frothy and mix the egg whites into the salt until it is moistened. Some folks add flour to dry out the crust but I don’t recommend it as you risk this floury coating on the fish as is apparent on the photos here (I used flour since the salt looked too damp). Then completely encase the fish in the salt/egg white mixture and make sure no part of the fish is exposed. Stick it in a 450 degree oven for 35-45 minutes depending on size. Our oven decided to have mechanical problems minutes before I prepared this dish so I had no choice but to try and do this on a charcoal grill! With a cover on the grill, it actually turned out pretty well but I would have preferred the regulated heat of an oven. Once it is done, you may need a small mallet to crack open the salt and carefully peel away the salt crust. Next, tear the fish skin and pull it back and enjoy the meat underneath. Oddly, it is not salty at all. First timers to this dish always look at me skeptically, and have serious doubts that the final product will be edible…but the salt crust serves to seal in all of the flavor and the fish steams in its own juices. The result is usually a flavorful, juicy and tasty fish. Try it and see for yourself!

Last edited:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stoned2Death said:
What if you made an ice bath with salt and ice, then set your bucket into that. You could do it in the bathtub or a rubbermaid tub. Not a bad idea, but probably a lot of extra work.
Maybe the next hottest thing will be too mix up the bud and water in a an ice cream maker, then send it through the bags ;)

Now that I think about it, that's a really good frickin' idea, especially for the small time grower. The ice cream maker has a paddle inside and turns at what? Maybe 30 - 40 times a minute? :chin: Just use water and pot inside, leave the ice and salt on the outside. I wonder if the water would freeze with the pot...

Synapses firing. Thoughts forming! Dammit! I don't have any pot to test this.

:badday:

G

Yup....if I were going to attempt it, there is no way in hell I'd add the salt to the water my herb is in.