What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If a strain is good for one type of hash, is it good for all kinds?

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I just bought some Highend(Rene x DJ's Blueberry) seeds. Everything I've seen about Rene is that it makes some great bubblehash. Would this follow over to BHO or dry sifting? Here's some shots of Highend in flower from various members here.

5128hmo_015-med.jpg
13657Highend-D54b-med.JPG

And some melt shots and discussion of the hash qualities of Highend found at this thread here... http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=28486

Ahhhhh René, Where to truly begin with such a strain. Here in Vancouver British Columbia, is where I was to first come across this strain. A good friend at the time was growing large quantities of it, and was generous enough to give me his trim. The hash that was extracted from this trim was far superior to anything that was filling my bowl. We were all of course, just learning about the wonders of water extracted hashish, i.e. iceolator, bubblehash,etc. So the timing was perfect. The strain it was said, came from Montreal, and was named after the gentlemen who either bred, or acquired it. The genetics were said to be a Himalayan sativa crossed with an extremely pungent Skunk #1 male. Now for me, I cannot guarantee that lineage at all, as it was a story. What I can say about René, is that it holds that magical property I like to call THE FUNK. I've seen it in the Dank Ass Bitch(aka DAB), as well in the Cheese(that's all the rage in the UK right now), and the Sour Diesel. I'm not saying these strains tasted alike at all, but it had this funk within its profile. To me, this makes a strain extra special. The melt factor on the René was, from the first day, jaw opening. Most of the people I was turning onto this René hash had never seen this type of quality. When posted on sites like Overgrow and Cannabis World, people believed it was a hoax. My excitement to be writing this is overwhelming, as I have smoked nothing but René bubblehash for over two years. This was the first two years I was in business with my bubblebag company , and those pictures of René bubblehash were integral in the timing of this all taking off. It has been almost five years now since we began this long strange trip, and I am very happy to be announcing here at Legends that the good old boys have acquired the original René, which is really what I am here to authenticate. As I am certain in the next few years you will be seeing a lot of Rene cross's as well as perhaps a pure René, coming out in seed form. However , if it is not from Legends Seeds one should, in the least proceed with caution. The first strains the boys are releasing with René genes involved, are some wonderful cross's with DJ Shorts Blueberry male( the one that was used for his latest line). I Look forward to bubbling up some of the material from these seeds in the near future, and I'm certain I will be giving a full melt clear dome certification on top of the authenticity of the René genes that the good people at Legends Seeds have chosen to use. Give thanks to those that do this good work, in order to put the rest of you in a position where you can simply order. Rene is without a doubt one of my favourite ganja strains, and definitely my all time favourite hash making strain. Full melt, oh yeah all the way! !
- Bubble Man

What it comes down to: I want to make BHO, will that change level of hash ability of this plant? Will a plant that makes good bubble hash be good making BHO, Iso, or screened hash? Vice versa? :chin:

Greens

From my experience, you can have strains that make great bubble hash, but don't make the greatest BHO and vice versa. Some strains that don't make very melty hash make killer BHO "budder". I even found one strain that seems to make better dry sift than bubble or bho.

However, some are great for all methods as well...

Greens

G

Rene ?

Rene ?

first run with Rene

will make ice-o-lator with trimming and smoke the buds (the main drawback of Rene is her low yield...)
and if ice-o is as good as I heard will make more ice-o from a full plant in the future

good luck bounty29

:wave:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Eleda - Are you around Montreal, or did the cut travel to get to wherever you are? I live a couple hours south of Montreal and from what I've heard Rene cuts are somewhat controlled, but it's definitely on the top of my "to get" list of elite clones.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i have noticed that some cannabis makes more tasty bubble then others, even when similar trichome coverage is apparent. i believe that taste is to do with terps, some types of terps are water soluble and some not, or much less so. for bubble hash you want a strain that has mostly non water soluble terps. for the taste aspect of it anyway, but this does mean that some buds will be better when kiefed rather then bubbled, even if they have the same trichome coverage. i suppose it would be safe to say that good quality material will make good quality hash, be it water extracted or dry sifted. but still some strains lend them selves better to ice hash extraction then others. letting the buds get fully ripe will also give the best chance of reaching the full potential in that strain. same with freezing the trim material right after a trimming session is done.

G

bounty29 : I'm far away from USA & Canada, cuts travelled well overseas

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Thanks for the info eleda, I had heard from a few people that it was a controlled cut and very hard to get (compared to other clones.)

Latest posts

Latest posts