What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help me choose a digital camera..

G

whats happening??
plan on buying a camera this weekend...thing is there are so many different brands/models out there that im a bit perplexed on which one to choose.
i had a sony cybershot years ago..3.2 mega pixels.and that was the high end model.unfortunately it was dropped one to many times and just stopped working.and i think nowadays that just wouldnt do justice for my needs..

anyways my budget is $500..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

G

i have the canon a550.
great cam(be better when i figure it out more)
and it was around $200

G

thanks for the input thorodee.going to check out your model online...if i can get more bang for the buck and save some bucks better yet.

daisey jane..well i hope i havent tarnished my name with my druken rants,which i do appologize for.i no longer post on political or social issue threads.and have cut down on my binge drinking alot...trying anyways.

anyhow i hope some people can help me/us in making a decision...i have seen spetacular pics on icmag..just want to join the fun..

G

sweet phone you got there POP...man all the bells and whistles..
i still remember the old rotary phones from the 70's and those brick mobile phones from the 80's...man what a long way we have come in technology..
how much did that run ya??

treehuggers

Man... go with Canon S3 IS .... it has everything a grower needs... I got the S2 IS model wich is basicly the same. By default you can use supermacro from 0cm , 6mpixels, 12x optical zoom, amazing image stabilizator and superfast DIGICII image procesor... I would never exchange this cam for any other and I had 5 digital cameras before this one (Sony, Nikon, Canon) ... Here are a few pics...

and the final ... resin on the lense...

Last edited:
D

daisy jane

Ramotyis said:
thanks for the input thorodee.going to check out your model online...if i can get more bang for the buck and save some bucks better yet.

daisey jane..well i hope i havent tarnished my name with my druken rants,which i do appologize for.i no longer post on political or social issue threads.and have cut down on my binge drinking alot...trying anyways.

anyhow i hope some people can help me/us in making a decision...i have seen spetacular pics on icmag..just want to join the fun..

No worries Ram. I can't even recall one time when I have witnessed a rant. Best of luck to ya!

I PMed Pipeline a few weeks back. And this is the information I got from him. I certainly hope he doesn't mind that I am dishing this out though..."Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70. I think its just a 4.0 Mega Pixel" Apparently the flash is not too fantastic. That is all the info I have for ya Ram. And by the looks of it, I just might be going with Pipeline's type.

G

nice pics treehugger...couldnt find that model on best buys web site...oh wait i see it now..s3 model..sweet...cool thanks man thats on the list.

daisy jane..pipeline has awesome pics.
the panasonic has 7.2 mp 1.2 more then the canon and is slim.but zoom capabilities are lacking....but for the price you cant go wrong.
i thank you for your input.. :wave:

G

Do you want a point and click or an SLR?

IMO canon is the best, I would never buy a sony product. Always buy something a company specializes in.

Check out the Canon Powershots, I recommend the SD700 or the 600

Do some searches on the canon's if they intrest you like some review sites and such, but only check out the personal review sites not Cnet, they are biased and paid.

G

treehuggers, those are some damn beautiful pics! go win some contests man!

T-type

saix said:
IMO canon is the best, I would never buy a sony product. Always buy something a company specializes in.
I dont know anything about cameras, but my sisters sony cam is way better than my kodak cam and they were roughly the same price....
actually that doesnt help anything
since i dont know any of the models involved, but whatever

But yeah sony does make some terrible products *cough* ps2 *cough*

G

T-type said:
I dont know anything about cameras, but my sisters sony cam is way better than my kodak cam and they were roughly the same price....
actually that doesnt help anything
since i dont know any of the models involved, but whatever

But yeah sony does make some terrible products *cough* ps2 *cough*

Sony does make some terrible products and they may have a few good ones, but I could careless how cute a camera is, I'm all about performance ESPECIALLY IN BED! :wave: joke~

I will probably end up buying a ps3 once the price goes way down just for grand turismo.

G

propbaly will go with a canon.your right saix..buy a product the company specializes in...and i see sony has another laptop battery recall..
a slr would be nice but out of my price range...have to check out there website....
thanks for the help guys.. :wave:

G

I'll second the motion for the Canon S3IS. Here's a few photos I've taken with mine. Damn good camera for a point and shoot in it's price range.

Yummybud

Veteran
canon is730 I think it was, 4 times zoom, image stabilization, nice camera. I used to sell cameras and I liked this one for a compact camera. theres a newer one is850 also has a wideangle lense which is nice.

canons definately seem like better cameras than Sonys.

S3IS is also a nice camera but a little on the big side but still a very popular camera/ great camera but a little bulk if you want to carry it around all the time.

G

looked at the canon g-7...10mps...24x total zoom....anyone have experience with this model?
thanks again guys..

Yummybud

Veteran
I sold a couple of the G7s at my old job, I have not taken any pictures with it personally but it looks like a nice camera.

it's a little bit on the bulky side, not really a compact camera to stick in your pocket and take out. It has some nice features though, kind of has a old retro look to it, it has full manual features like an SLR but it's not an SLR.

It's really a camera right between an SLR and a regular digital camera, it's for someone that likes to have more of an SLR feel/ full manual features but they don't want the more expensive a little bit bigger SLR. Also it takes a larger flash so that is also a nice feature.

the price on the G7 is pretty high, forget the price but I think it was 800? or something like that. Nice camera but it's kind of bulky compared to the compact cameras so might as well consider an SLR, but SLRs are a bit more expensive and also heavier , the G7 is not a pocket camera but it's still pretty light.

Latest posts

Latest posts