What's new

2007 Oregon Guerrilla Outdoor, with BACKCOUNTRY

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Hello, and welcome to my 2007 grow!

Most of you know me, but I'll give a little backstory-
I live in the South-West quarter of Oregon, my climate is drier and warmer than most of the PNW.
I get about 2"-6" of rainfall from July 1st to Sept. 30th, which means I have a very dry growing season, water is a top concern for me, no other factor will matter without sufficent moisture. Also temps can go over 90F or 100f for much of the summer.
All this dry weather also means my plants are the focus of attention of any animal that loves green plants(they are rare here in Summer), I have taken many losses due to Deer and Pack rats.

All and all, as long as water is available, and the soil is fed correctly, its not a bad place to grow Cannabis.
My region is a series of narrow Valleys and moderately tall ridges, one after the other, flat ground is prized and rare. Add many types of tall trees, and (lots of)sunlight can also be hard to come by.
77102003_0419_101003AA.JPG

How and where I grow
I grow all Guerilla style, off my rural property, and usually on public or commercially own lands(owned by corporations, not people). Where and how I grow depends on how much water is available nearby.

In some of my plots this year, I will be using automated methods of dispensing water to my plants, using versions of gravity flow irrigation systems I have tested in my vagetable garden.
For more info click on this link-

Automatic irrigation systems

In other plots, I will use rare "oasis" areas where the soil is naturally moist, due to swamps, streams, or springs. These are rare and prized locations, they allow me more freedom from watering.

I mostly use organic methods for growing my food and Cannabis, this year all my plots will recieve nutrition mostly from llama manure.

Getting started!
My 2007 season started on Febuary 14th, when I started seeds germinating.
After using several different methods of starting seeds, I have settled on a favorite method-
I start by marking a snack size zip-lock bag with the strain being started-

I then soak a paper towel in water and fold it 3-4 times, and place seeds on its surface-

I fold the paper towel over the seeds and place the towel in the correct bag, the zip-lock is then hung in a warm place with a tack, and checked daily-

Germination usually happens in 1-4 days. As seeds show the tell-tale white root of germination I pull them out of the towel and place them root down in 8oz solo cups of seedling mix potting soil-

The seeded cups were placed under shop lights, which are available at Wal-mart and most hardware stores for $8-$15.

Going outside!
When my weather started warming in late March, I built a basic cold-frame(a type of mini-greenhouse) from 1"x"2 lumber and sheet plastic-

By March 28th I had 25 seedlings that had been upgraded to 16oz solo cups, and 22 were ready for transplant to gallons. I used Miracle grow soil for the first batch, and Organic fed soil for others, both have worked great.

By April 4th they looked like this-

By April 13th I had added more younger plants-

A total of 9 plants have shown female out of the original 25, all these females will be placed in plots recieving a pretty good amount of care.

The rest of the plants I place out after these 9 will be placed in naturally moist locations where plants will fend mostly for themselves.

The strains I am working with this year include my cornerstone strain OR95, and two hybrids of that strain, OR95x Northern lights and OR95xC99. The later is a new hybrid that has not been tested, both its parents show remarkable resistance to mold in my wet harvest season.

My personal strains
OR95 is a strain over 30 years in the making. It started when my father started growing his own in the bushes on his small acreage north of San Francisco, basicly the seeds of any good bud comming from Californias famous "Emerald triagle"(Humbolt, Mendocino, and Trinity counties) was kept and planted and crossed.

This grab bag of top grade genetics was brought with my family from California when we moved to Oregon in the early 80s, it was one more time crossed with a local stocky Indica that was probably related to the local strain "Tiller killer"(also known as Oregon 90).
The end product of inbreeding this cross is known as Oregon 95, or OR95. It is a plant with great old school Indica flavor and a balanced high. Plants often turn various shades of Purple, red, orange, and yellow during harvest season.

Here are some pics of the OR95xNorthern lights(ORxN)-

This will be the first year I grow the new OR95x C99 cross, so I have pics or info on that strain yet.

OK, lets get growing!

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Plot HM#1

Plot HM#1

Plot HM#1 (High maitenence)

I'm starting the season by planting my largest seedling, this plant is known to be female, so I am making sure it is provided with everything I can to grow big. It will be the only plant in this plot.

This plot is located on a steep south facing hillside, in a thicket of a local bush that grows thick, and will provide great cover from people on the ground, but they have been trimmed to make sure plenty of sunshine will hit the location from above.
The thick brush will also make protecting the plants from Deer easier.

I evaluated this plot for sunshine availablity using my Compass and sunchart(and inclinomter), my evaluation showed that this plot will recieve 12 hours of direct sunshine on June 21, 11 hours on Aug 21, and 7 hours on Oct 21(at the end of my season). These are all great numbers for each part of the season, this large quantity of light will allow my plants to grow large, with chunky buds.
Click this link for more info on evaluating your Plots sunshine potential- Evaluating Sunshine potential in your plot

I also tested the soil for Texture(hardness, softness, looseness) and PH.

The texture turned out to be a Sandy loam, which is pretty close to perfect, the only problem being it won't hold alot of water very long without help, but being a naturally loose soil, the Cannabis roots will grow fast in it. Click here for more info on Soil texture- Evaluating your plots soils: Soil texture

The PH tested at about 6.5, which is pretty good on its own, it won't need any help. Click on this link for more info on testing and ajusting PH- Evaluating your plots soils: Testing your PH

I decided to dig holes in the 30 gallon range, because I am looking for a large plant here-

To dig a hole of the correct capacity, I used some math:

1 cubic foot contains 7.48 US Gallons

1 cubic foot is a cube that measures 12" in depth, width, and length. To find cubic footage of a hole, measure its width, length, and depth, and then multipy each number like this for example- 2'x2'x3'=12

I want a 30 gallon hole, so I divide 30 gallons by 7.48, and get 4 cubic feet- 30/7.48=4.

So I need a 4 cubic foot hole, after some figuring I disover that a hole 1.5' wide by 1.5' long, and 2' deep will contain 4 cubic feet(or 33 gallons)- 1.5'x 1.5'x 2'= 4 cubic feet.

I decided to try something different this season, I lined the holes with plastic sheeting, cutting a hole in the bottom for drainage. The idea is to try and reduce loss of moisture and nutrition to the surrounding native soils. I tossed 4 Table spoons of Water holding crystals in the bottom of the hole, to help catch moisture leaving the hole.

OK, here is whats going in the hole:

3 gallons of llama manure, NPK 1-1-1(also to help raise organic content for moisture retention)
2 gallons of Peat moss(to help moisture retention)
2 cups(1TBS per gallon) of Kelp meal for Potassium and trace minerals
2 cups of Azomite(similar to Dolomite, interchangable) for Cal,Mag and PH buffer
2 TBS 12-8-4 Seabird guano
8 TBS of water holding crystals total

First I filled the hole 1/2 way with native soil, then I dumped the llama manure and Peat moss on it, and then mixed it well-

Next I added 4 more TBS of Water holding crystals(front white pile), my Azomite(on left), and my Kelp meal(on right)-

I continued to mix these amendments and fertilizers together, mixing in more native soil to raise the holes surface to natural ground level-

I transplanted the plat to the plot, she is a OR95x C99-

At this point she is about 9 weeks old, and nearly 12" tall, its about 15 weeks to the start of bloom, and 24 weeks to harvest-

I sidedressed around her drip line with 2 TBS of High N Seabird guano, to give her a immediate boost so she can find all the other goodies in the soil-

I rigged up a "rat cage" in a cone shape from 1/2" hardware cloth, and placed it over her to protect her from attacks by Deer and Pack rats-

Click on this link for more info on protecting your plants from Deer-Protecting your plants from Deer

I have 3 more females and 6 more probable females to plant in the next week or so, plus several dozen more spread across my local country side, stay tuned!

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lookin great! I think she'll go... maybe! :yoinks:

Cool little cold frame ya made! KISS! :yes:

I would have had seed planted outside last weekend, but instead I had to do soil prep.... It was a cold, wet winter, no time to dig..... Right behind ya! :canabis:

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
God damn BACKCOUNTRY. This is gonna be THE outdoorthread 07 :rasta:

Great info and pics

Peace
Paddi

ReeferDan

I think im going to have to pull up a comfy chair for this thread, looks like that first lady will be very happy in her hole.

Keep up the good work backcountry, i'll be following closely.

1 question for you, when you rig a gravity feed reservor with a hose going down to the plant, what do you use to disperse water from the hose? Do you use one of those tube ring type things with holes in it or a dripper line or what? Im trying to figure this out for a guerrilla grow im planning.

Thanks!
ReeferDan

badmf

Yo Bro Lookin' good. But will you enclose the top of your cage? PS does llama manure stink? lol

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Thanks everyone! I'm hoping to have a good season.

ReeferDan said:
........ when you rig a gravity feed reservor with a hose going down to the plant, what do you use to disperse water from the hose? Do you use one of those tube ring type things with holes in it or a dripper line or what? Im trying to figure this out for a guerrilla grow im planning......
Check the link in my sig, my irrigation thread will explain.

badmf said:
...But will you enclose the top of your cage? PS does llama manure stink?...
Rats don't attack my plants in spring, mainly only in late summer/early Fall when it is dry, so the wire is just to keep the Deer off them.
I'll change the shape of the cages later on so they will protect the lower trunk from getting skinned by the rats, and a more substantial chicken wire cage will be built for protectiojn from Deer.

llama manure is actually pretty mild in smell compared to most manures, and it is also very gentle in its release of Nitrogen, making it safe to use fresh(green).

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
great thread BC, glad to see your up and running..... to a gooooooooood season *chears mate*

take care,
bartender187

btw... interesting strains

pineappaloupe

Hey man whats up.

my first impression on the plant you put in the ground is that the soil looks heavy... but then again I cant feel the soil and you probably know what you are doing.
Did you add any microblast to go along with those organics? the one year i used it in the holes i prepped 1 month in advance the results were mind blowing. its probably not too late to spike the bacteria/fungi colonies in the holes.

actually now that i think about it... the powdered micrblast i used (espoma) has blood meal in it... which can attract scavengers, so maybe not using it is a good idea if you have lots of curious critters.

i miss guerilla growing... as much of a pain in the ass it was, and stressful not knowing what is happening... the reward at the end feels that much better.

am i the only one that feels like i am a spy sneaking into a secured russian nuclear facility when im harvesting a guerilla crop?

peace

am i the only one that feels like i am a spy sneaking into a secured russian nuclear facility when im harvesting a guerilla crop?

no i feel the same way, only because wet weed weighs so much and our stupid government will charge us with the wet weight if caught!

I always harvest at night with a headlamp and use hard plastic totes cutting all branches smaller than the size of the tote to minimize damage to buds during trasport. Works great and you can pack a shitload into those totes without damaging the buds. You can even fall on the thing and your buds are fine, trust me I have eatin shit many a time while carrying bins out of the woods paranoid as fuck! :yoinks:

As for water polymers, well I have used them in the past but after some recent research i feel it is better to just use more peat & compost in my mix and not put such damaging chems into the environment. I feel that it is NOT organic if you use polymers. To mkae up for not using them this year i will mulch more and add an OBSCENE amount of OG compost!

Polymers are a byproduct of the PETROLEUM industry! Why support those jerks?

G

Backcountry

What is the "official" frost date for you in fall? I live in a colder climate. I keep worrying about frost/snow coming in mid/late Spetember here...which is possible.

Do you worry about later blooming strains where you are?

Good luck man!!
Looking good so far!
Obly :joint:

Last edited:

Stonerguy

Im in for this one. Looks like you have a nice amount of plants going, I wanted to have alot more than I have right now, but Im being terrorized by HORRIBLE germ rates. I have 5 sprouted after 30 seeds :pointlaug . I have been tweaking every thing but nothing seems to work, im getting a feeling its because Im using bag genetics.

I hope you can beat some knowledge into me :bat: .

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
pineappaloupe said:
............my first impression on the plant you put in the ground is that the soil looks heavy... but then again I cant feel the soil and you probably know what you are doing.
Did you add any microblast to go along with those organics?
Hey there! The soil is actually naturally pretty light, being a sandy loam. I actually added quite a bit or organic materials so that it will hold water, considering this is a pretty dry and hot south facing hillside.
I've never heard of "microblast", but I don't mess around with the fancier store bought organics, so that might be why.
I might add some Molassas here and there down the line, but the large quanity of llama manure I used is very active with bacterias as is.

WhiteWolfman said:
....As for water polymers, well I have used them in the past but after some recent research i feel it is better to just use more peat & compost in my mix and not put such damaging chems into the environment. I feel that it is NOT organic if you use polymers...
I do appreciate your opinions, but I am not a organic "purest", I do what I need to do to get a good crop in.
My research has shown no problem with water crystals, and believe me I have done the research, and I am not interested in this being debated in my grow thread. Thankyou.

Oblidio49 said:
What is the "official" frost date for you in fall? I live in a colder climate. I keep worrying about frost/snow coming in mid/late Spetember here...which is possible.

Do you worry about later blooming strains where you are?
Frosts can hit here as early as early-Oct, but they are usually light. I actually like some light frosts at that time, it seems to hasten harvest time, and often helps the plants turn lots of pretty colors.
I don't use any late harvesting strains, all my stuff is pretty ripe by oct 15-25th.

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
High maintenence plot #2

High maintenence plot #2

I put out my second plant yesterday, this one is a OR95xNorthern, the water bottle is a 48oz(1.5 Quart), she is nearly 12" tall-

The soil at this plot is basic Loam, and has a PH of about 6.5, just great! This hole is set up identical to the one I dug for HM#1.

Sun exposure is not as fantastic as for HM#1, 10 hours on June 21st, 9 on Aug 22nd, and 6 on Oct 21st, still not bad.

This plot will recieve some type of automatic irrigation system when the weather gets drier, probably one using a wick.

G

looking damn good so far...i'm ready to see HM1 become a freakin beast...
good luck