What's new

Negril Westmoreland

Rastatrue

Hey Now,

Life is tough all over. Things never appear what they seem. I found this quote in today's Gleaner:

"Especially if you start out from Negril.

Every time I go for a swim on that glorious seven-mile beach and bask in the mild crystal-blue water, I marvel at my luck in living a country where this kind of magical experience is available every day of the year. Sure, not everyone can afford an all-inclusive. But anyone with gas money or bus fare has access to the powder-white sand.

Actually, I do not go there nearly often enough, and every time I do I mentally kick myself for not coming more often. Like everything else that is easily accessible it is always, 'Cho, next week'. But I know on my deathbed one of my great regrets is going to be not visiting Negril every time I had the chance."

I know of many reasons Why not to go. Still I think of a smoke and rumdrink up on the rocks by Rick's and recall Bogart's reply to police questions.
" Why, Mssr. Rick did you come to Casablanca?" "The waters sir," Rick replied. "Sir we are in the dessert." " Yea, I was misinformed." :joint:

Stinkymutt

Beautiful isnt it

Beautiful isnt it

Hey rasta , I just returned from our 3rd trip to Negril. Each time I kick my own ass for leaving. Its a very spiritual and moving island . My friend that took us the first time told me the island had heartbeat , it took me a few days to relax and get out of my "american" attitude of rush rush. Once relaxed i could finally feel it and now I feel it as soon as my feet touch the ground outside the airport. I will return again for sure , hey i know the beach pushers within a mile of the hotel by name now. They know its not worth walking across the soft sand for "just one minute of your time mon" lol eveyone needs to make a living somehow !!
peace
mutt

Rastatrue

Hey Now, AH Jamaica! no place like it. Negril Beach is seven miles long. Even with development you can find a quiet spot. Slept out on the beach one night with the sand fleas. In the morning a woman woke me with a kiss. Being young and dumb & broke I turned down her offer. She still gave me some banana bread and a mango for breakfast. Later that morning a group of middle aged Germans jogged by naked. I'm usually broke when leaving Negril. So I love walking the beach towards Green Island. Leaving all my troubles behind. Man, I've been many places with good sunsets but Negril is my favorite. Let's just say the: Come Back Mon, Come back to Negril Jamaica West Indies.

M

Mr. Nevermind

no place in the world like Negril. I go there once or twice a year and the day i leave to go home is always so sad. I just stare out the window of the plane looking at the island in the distance and think to myself " i gotta get back there soon".

Negril is a place where time stands still, you have no concept of time there since there are no deadlines or anything to rush for . You are truly on island time.

I spent the night once with my girl on some beach chairs on the cliffs of negril and slept there all night. Woke up to a worker from the hotel making some blue mountain coffee. What a way to wake up. Damn , i gotta get online adn book a trip!!

Nevermind

M

Mr. Nevermind

Walker said:
How far is it from Montego Bay where the cruise ships dock to Negril ? I heard the bud there was good , and the people are friendly . I am going in August , but we only get 8 hrs on shore . Any tips or advice would be appreciated .

Negril is about 90 minute drive from MObay so if you only have 8 hours you may not have time. However there is a little known trick to beat the 90 minute drive. You can get a puddle jumper at the airport to fly you from mobay to Negril and it only takes a few minutes by plane. Its a little pricey but it sure saves time.

Nevermind

THC4SIM

Hia Guys,

i took your advice from another thread you had posted on Mr. Nevermind..
im booked at the BlueCave Castle for a few weeks from the end of next month!! i cannot wait!

Bubblebags at the ready!!!

M

Mr. Nevermind

THC4SIM said:
Hia Guys,

i took your advice from another thread you had posted on Mr. Nevermind..
im booked at the BlueCave Castle for a few weeks from the end of next month!! i cannot wait!

Bubblebags at the ready!!!

BCC is a cool place ot stay, small private owned and right on the cliffs. You dont have all the things you would get at sandals but you have a much better time there than you would at sandals. Sandals is for honeymoons and its in a very touristy part of negril . But BCC is far off from that and you got an Herb man next door at Elviss wood shack.

Everymoring people come around with old liquer bottles full of OJ, get it trust me. Its the best OJ u will ever have. And if you ask the staff, during the dya or at night they will whip up a pot of blue mountain coffee for you. Ask them to make som eright before sunset, roll up a few J's get a cup of coffee and pull up a chair

Nevermind

THC4SIM

Mr. Nevermind said:
Everymoring people come around with old liquer bottles full of OJ, get it trust me. Its the best OJ u will ever have.

The OJ sounds just the ticket!!
ah, so Elvis is the man to see upon arrival... niceOne!!
:rasta:

M

Mr. Nevermind

THC4SIM said:
The OJ sounds just the ticket!!
ah, so Elvis is the man to see upon arrival... niceOne!!

well if you cant wait you can get a bag at the airport and ask the driver if you can smoke. But herb at airports is tourist pot and kind of nasty and more expensive, like US prices. Make sure you ask how much the cab will be befor eyou get in. and look for a good deal , alot o ftimes a driver will say $80 to get there and another will offer it for $50. I think BCC has a shuttle a nd since you are reserved you can call and arrange that. i think shuttle is like $20. but get a cab or bus that you dont share. you dont wantot ride 90 minutes to negril with some assholes who just go tmarried on the way to sandals. best to get a cab to yourself and smoke the whole way to Negril.

If you are facing the gate of BCC on the right hand side you will see a small wood shack next to it. Thats Elvis's place. he will get you what you need there. If he aint around there is a guy at BCC named Danny who has really good herb as well. Elvis gave me around 3-4 zips of herb for $80 US and got a $20 tip from me. The herb was just harvested and still on the stalks and was all top colas of a very nice sativa. I dont know what he has now but im sure its goood. Have a great time bro. If i can help point you in the direction of anything else let me know. I been there alot and done all the tourist traps form the waterfalls to swimmng with the dolphins. Most is a waste. Just find a spot, roll a fe w and relax

If you got to 7 mile beach get dropped off at a bar called "Alberts" and you will find a guy named Michael on th ebeach who will provide you with anyting you need. You want a drink? Ask Michael, he will get it for you. You want an umnbrella and chairs? ask Michael he will get it for you. Want to smoke a joint and not be bothered by police? Ak michael and he will look out ofr you and if he sees police he will walk up to them and talk to em to distract them while you smoke. Want a jetski? Yup ask Michael, he can get that to. Oh and if you ran out of pot? ask Michael ,he got that too!! Alsdo if you run out at BCC just ask a neighbor , they all smoke there

nevermind

THC4SIM

Mr. Nevermind said:
If i can help point you in the direction of anything else let me know. I been there alot and done all the tourist traps form the waterfalls to swimmng with the dolphins. Most is a waste. Just find a spot, roll a few and relax

Its great you can help me get my trip off to a good start, its much appreciated!!
The BBC looks a very cool place to chill out!
ill email Petrona to sort an airport pickup..

I will call to Alberts Bar and go see Michael!, so michael sorts all things eh?..

do you think it will be easy enough to get 5 gallon buckets and lots of ice?? from near the BBC, ive been told the shop across from the BBC sells ice, but will they have enough!!! Ill have to put an order in!! :woohoo:

Im looking forward to some serious chilling out!

M

Mr. Nevermind

THC4SIM said:
Its great you can help me get my trip off to a good start, its much appreciated!!
The BBC looks a very cool place to chill out!
ill email Petrona to sort an airport pickup..

I will call to Alberts Bar and go see Michael!, so michael sorts all things eh?..

do you think it will be easy enough to get 5 gallon buckets and lots of ice?? from near the BBC, ive been told the shop across from the BBC sells ice, but will they have enough!!! Ill have to put an order in!! :woohoo:

Im looking forward to some serious chilling out!

there is a small store across the street but im not sure if they sell ice. They may but i never really looked. I know they sell papers across the street though. Honestly, yo ,ight wantto say something to Elvis and he may get the bucket and ice for you, offer to show him how to make hash. He may like it and start to sell it himself. Whatever you do, there is an old guy that hangs at Elvis's named Ballisitc. He is very annoying and will try to sell u his album, dont buy it , its garbage.

i know there is a supermarket in Negril called HI LO and they should have all the ice you need if you cant get it across the street. alot of people at BCC go to high low and get beer and munchies for their rooms.

Also , make sure you get some of your $$ converted, it makes things easier. alot of times you will get ripped off on conversion if you dont know what it is and use Dollars or Euros. Best to get their money and use it for cabs. Conversion is like $1 USD = $64 jamaican dollars. So like a trip to alberts from BCC shoudl be 200-300 J's. Maybe $5 tops. Make sure when you get the cab you say " how much to alberts, $200 J ?" and that starts the bargaining. most will do it for 200 some will want more, if you say no to more mmost the times they will do it for the $200. Also ask cab drivers if you can smoke in their cab. if you are ona long trip its fun to smoke in the cab. Most drivers are cool but you gotta respect them and ask first. then when he lets you out, tip the guy. it wont hurt

Nevermind

Neve

THC4SIM

Mr. Nevermind said:
Make sure you get some of your $$ converted, it makes things easier. alot of times you will get ripped off on conversion if you dont know what it is and use Dollars or Euros. Best to get their money and use it for cabs. Conversion is like $1 USD = $64 jamaican dollars. So like a trip to alberts from BCC shoudl be 200-300 J's. Maybe $5 tops.

Thanks a lot for all that info Mr. Nevermind! :wave:
im sure that will help us out a lot... CheerS!

its going to blow my head off converting from english to american then to jamaican!!! especially after a good smoke!!, it will take a few days im sure...

ill go have a good chat and a smoke with Elvis...
:joint:

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow sounds like a great trip ahead thc4sim and excellent help from mr nevermind

the buble will be amazing

i will have to go myself 1 day

happy holidays

THC4SIM

Yea, im really lookin forward to it mate!!

im sure you will get over there!,
me n my mate were just gunna book some flights to the dam but thought about how much we would end up spending and ended up booking for jamaica instead, ive wanted to go for years...
Yea Mr.Nevermind's really helped out, its reading his past threads about negril that got me looking at going..
ive also had a load of good info off bubbleman for places to go see... n some good tips!!

Ill do a report on the trip when i get back..

niceOne!

Rastatrue

Litte Feat's Negril excursion

Litte Feat's Negril excursion

hey now, Little Feat do an annual trip down to Negril:

http://www.featfanexcursion.com/

* * * *Grand Lido Negril is an All Inclusive Resort!* Package Prices includes transportation to and from Montego Bay Airport, 4-night hotel accommodation, all food and drink, all non-motorized water sports, all concerts, clinics, etc. Tipping is forbidden!

I can't swing it right now but this looks like a real rocking time.It not until Feb. 2008, but now is the time to plan.

Happy Memorial weekend to all you! :joint:

Rastatrue

Rainy day in Sav, Westmoreland JA

Rainy day in Sav, Westmoreland JA

Hey now i saw this story in the Gleaner today;

Rainy day in Sav
published: Thursday | June 7, 2007

Going to church is serious business for the folks of Savanna-la-Mar. - photos by Norman Grindley /Deputy Chief Photographer

The sun was already high in the sky by the time Brother Henry arrived at his church. He was late today because his favourite pair of trousers got wet on the clothes line the night before.

"Is pure rain a fall from last week. Mi tell di gyal a yard fi mek sure watch if rain set up and tek up di trousers if anything, but di gyal gone bout har business and di trousers soak," he said, adjusting his wide-brimmed hat. He frowned as he spoke and then made a sucking sound with his mouth.

Brother Henry was one of many people heading out to church in Savanna-la-Mar, Westmoreland, on a recent Sunday morning.

Photographer Norman Grindley and I were standing near to a variety store on Great George Street when we spotted Brother Henry pedalling his bicycle with great fury down the road. He stopped to remove his hat and used ahandkerchief to wipe the sweat from his forehead.

Already late

"Every day sun hot and den when night come is pure rain. Mi caan chat to you long though, for mi late already. Mi nah get nuh good seat," he said.

With that, Brother Henry replaced his hat and pedalled off. He caught up with a woman a few feet down the road and the two strolled casually into a nearby church.

We walked along the roadway for a while until we came across an intersection near to what looked like a courthouse. A woman was sitting on the sidewalk behind some bright green breadfruit, some pieces of yam of varying sizes and coconuts. Her eyes were closed and she seemed to be fast asleep. The second we walked over to her, however, she sprung to life.

"How you do? What mi can sell you today?" she said with a raspy voice.

We introduced ourselves and asked her to tell us a bit about Savanna-la-Mar.

"Sav? Yes man. Sav alright. No problem in Sav. Is just di rain waan wash mi out today and di school pickney dem nuh hab nuh manners," she said.

More alert

The woman used the back of her hand to rub her eyes and then seemed more alert.

"Yes, as mi was saying to you. Sav is a likkle place where nobody nuh really faas wid you. If you is selling you likkle thing then nobody not going to molest you wid it. Mi is a old woman now and so mi nuh stay out here all day, but when mi do stay it alright," the woman said and then turned her attention to a prospective customer.

We said our goodbyes and then walked away. At the end of Great George Street, near to the market, we met a few boys, some of them shirtless, the others shoeless, who were playing with a deflated football.

They were laughing, jumping around and shouting obscenities to each other and seemed to be having a grand time. A grand time, that is, until a heavyset woman whose head was wrapped with a red scarf and who seemed to have been selling in the nearby market spotted them.

"What mi just hear you say, young bwoy?" she shouted.

The boys all stopped in their tracks and turned to face the woman. "Mi know dat sinting must wrong wid mi hearing for anyhow you really out yah a cuss bad word den a gwine buss you behind today!"

No more prompting

Business isn't exactly booming, but it's enough to survive, according to the street-side peddlers.

The boys needed no more prompting. They took off immediately, abandoning the football in the street. The woman stood and watched them go, her arms akimbo. When they disappeared, she shook her head and went back inside the market.

Where we were standing, the sea breeze was picking up. The waves actually come right up to the market and close to the road, making a beautiful scene.

The clouds started to get ominous and a few drops of rain started to fall. This hastened activity on Great George Street quite dramatically. People started running about in haste, shouting in many different ways that the rain was about to fall.

The woman who was earlier sitting lazily beside her coconuts and breadfruit, grabbed them up in a hurry, threw them in a box, put the box on her head and scampered off with the speed and agility of a 20-year-old. After that, the streets emptied in a hurry and the rain came with a fury, bringing a sudden end to another lively day in 'Sav'.

[email protected]

"Hot all day, pure rain at night! Great weather for growing HUGE buds of colley herb!" :joint:

Rastatrue

The munchies in Negril unsatisfied, help is on the way!

The munchies in Negril unsatisfied, help is on the way!

Hey Now, after a day on the beach, few good smokes of Calli herb,and got those cravings? Help is on the way.

Jamaicans crazy for Ben & Jerry's
published: Thursday | June 28, 200

Yahneake Sterling, Staff Reporter

The newest ice cream to hit the Jamaican market is Ben & Jerry's Home-made ice cream, and according to those who participated in the Food survey, the flavours were tantalising to the tastebuds.

Ben & Jerry's sets itself apart from the rest of ice creams with a fun selection of natural flavours filled with whole fruits and nuts and contains no artificial flavours.

There are currently seven flavours of Ben & Jerry's in the island - Cherry Garcia, Vanilla, Butter Pecan,Vanilla Caramel Fudge, Chocolate Chip, Strawberry Cheesecake, Pistachio, and one sorbet, Jamaican Me Crazy, which is filled with pineapple and passion fruit.

Two months on market

Distributed by National Meats and Food Distributors Limited, Rory Marsh, brand and merchandising assistant manager, says the ice cream has been on the market a mere two months but has already taken off.

Premium ice cream can be expensive, but according to Mr. Marsh, the aim was to make the super premium more affordable.

"Once an ice cream has over 10 per cent milk fat, it is regarded as a high-quality ice cream. The Ben & Jerry's ice cream is over 20 per cent milk fat," Mr. Marsh explained. This is on the same level as Hagen Dazs.

Noting that this is the ice cream of choice in most American movies such as Disturbia, he describes it as a "really a passionate ice-cream".

"The good thing about this ice cream is that you won't find it being crystallised because our facility does not allow for heat shock to take place," Mr. Marsh noted.

The ice cream is affordable with the one size (473 ml) to date, costing between $300 and $330 per tub.

It is available at Super Plus, Hi-Lo, MegaMart, Sovereign Supermarket and other independent retailers.

Ben & Jerry's is an international company that started out in 1978 in Long Island. There are currently 20 flavours on the international market, and 15 are expected on the local market within the next few weeks.

Tasters' comments

Strawberry Cheesecake

This is absolutely delicious, I do not like cheesecake but this gives it a new twist!

Vanilla Caramel Fudge

I was never a fan of caramel products but this has changed my mind. It was really very creamy and rich, a little too sweet though, just a little.

Nice, smooth taste with the different flavours combined. A little bit on the sweet side though.

This is a little sickly and lacks the texture, i.e. added fruit, nuts, chocolate, like other Ben & Jerry's icecream.

Cherry Garcia

When I first tasted Cherry Garcia, I exclaimed that it was better than Devon House. I liked the fact that it was not too sweet. In fact, it is a taste that lingers on the tastebuds. Finally, there's an ice cream outside of Devon House that I can enjoy!

I was surprised. I have eaten a lot of Ben & Jerry's and I have not tried this before. I am conservative with my ice cream but I really liked the combination between the cherry and the chocolate. I might buy this for myself.

Was tasty. Not too sweet, but gives that little kick when you bite into the cherry.

It doesn't even taste like cherry. Why is chocolate necessary in a cherry-flavoured ice cream? Didn't like the blend of flavours.

Take out the chocolate, leave the cherry and we'll have a perfect ice cream. The chocolate leaves a bitterish taste in my mouth.

The ice cream was generally good. I found the cherry and chocolate flavour so distinct that I am not sure if they mixed or complimented each other.

It is not sweet but has too much chocolate and not enough cherry flavour or pieces of the fruit.

Vanilla

Was sweet and felt a little gritty on the tongue. Other than that, not too different from other vanilla flavours I've had.

Smooth, but flavourless.

I like it. Its mostly milky and refined.

Chocolate Chip

The chocolate is too bitter - and it is not as creamy as I would like.

It tastes delicious as if real milk was used to make the ice cream and not powdered milk. The chocolate chip added an oomph to the overall taste.

Not smooth, has a grainy taste.

It was OK. Loved the pieces of chocolate but hated the grainy aftertaste.

Butter Pecan

Clumps of pecan a little too big. Overall taste was excellent. It will definitely give Devon House some competition.

Loved the pecans but also hated the grainy taste afterwards.

Jamaican Me Crazy

This is good and you can really taste the fruit and it's nice to havethe pineapple chunks.

Too sweet, didn't like it at all.

I'm not so crazy about the Jamaican Me Crazy, I don't think the sweet and sour taste blend well together in this particular flavour.

Love it. It was more like a tropical smoothie but it was wonderful nonetheless. Love the pieces of fruit and mixture of mango, passion fruit and pineapples used in the sorbet. I also loved the smell. It was very enticing.

This is great news, for too long Jamaicans have had to suffer from lack of good ice cream. :rasta:

Rastatrue

It was not just the ganja....

It was not just the ganja....

Hey Now, As Jamaica moves towards it's 45 birthday next month, let us recall it was not just ganja that brought people to this Island in the Sun.

1965-1966: Leaders of the world visited and they fell in love

Leaders of the world visited Jamaica during 1965 and 1966 and fell in love with the people and the country. Each left imprints and cast memorials in the collective memory of Jamaicans.

In 1965, was Martin Luther King, Jr. His visit on this occasion was to deliver the valedictory address for graduating students of the University of the West Indies. Here he said: "If it falls to our luck to be street sweepers, sweep the streets like Raphael painted pictures, like Michaelangelo carved marble, like Shakespeare wrote poetry, and like Beethoven composed music. Sweep the streets so well that all the hosts of Heaven and Earth would have to pause and say: 'Here lived a great street sweeper.'"

King's visit was followed by Canadian Prime Minister, the Rt. Hon. Lester B. Pearson.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, accompanied by her husband, HRH Prince Phillip, came for a four-day visit and officially opened the 1966/67 Session of the Jamaican Parliament.

Mother of all visits

The "mother of all visits", however, was that of Ethiopia's emperor, His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie. Thousands of Rastafarians and members of Jamaican-African associations and organisations swarmed the tarmac of the Palisadoes International Airport, the National Stadium and the University of the West Indies to see him. The occasion evoked an unprecedented outpouring of love and devotion. :rasta:

THC4SIM

Hey Guys,

i just got back from the BlueCaveCastle, it is a nice chilled out place...
i was up at 6 most mornings with a big joint and big cup of fresh bluemountain coffee, sat in the cave on the bottom right of the castle getting blasted....

One problem is there are too many Crackheads on anyone and everyones case for some $$$$$$$$, at $100 jamaican roughly 80p for a rock, no wonder there are so many crackheads.. thats the only thing that pissed me off...., but it was nice and secure at the BlueCaveCastle, a nice cool place to smoke n chill out!

MrNevermind, i passed on your regards to Elvis..
i had a good chat with him, i ended up picking about 2oz from him.. pretty good stuff...., Thanks again for your advice!

For the bubblebags, we ended up going up Orange Hill to try n' score a pound of the best we could find... we spoke to and smoked with quite a few farmers...
and ended up getting a pound of really nice weed....
and had to avoid a police roadblock on the way back along west end road!!
We left the weed out in the AirCon overnight to try and crisp it up a bit, the next day it took 3 of us 4 1/2 hours to break it all up,
hard work when its HOT!!! we did have quite a few smoke breaks tho!
we ended up with roughly 20grams of Jamaican Bubble...
from doing 2 runs through the 5 gallon bubblebags the nicest grade turned out to be from the 25 bag...
It fucked us all up, even put our new Rasta friend on his arse too!!! we had a Blast!
ill post some pics when, i get my pics sorted out!..

we ended up picking another pound from the same farmer the next day so we had plenty to smoke for the rest of our holiday!!..., we left about 2 oz with the couple who were in the room next too us!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts