What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap DIY Drying Trunk

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Well folks as the title says, this is my DIY drying trunk. :wave:

I bet alot of you are like me and every harvest hate that you have buds hanging somewhere in your house, stinkin up the place and completely countering everything you did to make your grow stealth....so I started thinkin, since I'm kinda broke lets see what's layin around.

This was built out of left over bits and bites from building my grow cabinets. I'm sure most of you have everything you need to do this same project. If you were to build this from scratch though I bet you could do it for under $100. If you spend more you didn't have a thing of your own and you got ripped off.

Here we go. Keep in mind, this is what and how I built it. Clearly it's an easy design and meant to be just that. EASY. You can use any size cabinet and any design really. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Start with a trunk something like this. This one happens to be cedar lined. I bet you already have one in your basement collecting dust, holding things you'll never use again. Don't forget to remove any old stickers so your new friends at ICMag don't clue in to exactly who you are. :pointlaug

Next build one of these. Use Sugabear's DIY Link here, for detailed instructions. Thanks Sugabear. :wave:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=48949

Here's the only time you need to think really. You'll need to stop now and think about your layout. Where is the fan going to be installed? Think about where the buds will hang from and where your shelves are going to go. Make sure when you close the lid everything will clear each other. What about the exhaust? Are there any hinges or metal in the way? Keep in mind some trunks have a curved top so you may be installing the fan on the sides or back.

Now get out your drill and dremel and cut some holes. Measure twice although it's not that exact.

I cut a 3/4" hole on each side bottom corner for intake and a small square hole on the back for exhaust.

Next you'll need to install the scrubber and muffler, then seal it all up with some good old fashioned duct tape.

Now plug it in and check your back pressure. What you are looking for is a vortex of air inside but not a whirlwind as you want your bud to dry as slow as possible without getting moldy. With the intake holes being 1/2 the size (in total) of the exhaust you should have proper back pressure. Take a small piece of paper and hold it over the intake. The pressure should just hold the piece of paper against the hole. Like this....

Now you'll need to get out your saw and tape measure. You most likely have some strapping or 1"x2" wood around there somewhere. Plus you'll need some left-over carpenters cloth from when you made your DIY scrubber maybe. I just stapled the cloth to the wood.

Build a couple of these ...

and put them in here.

If you need help building these, please see this link.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5376

Now you'll need to cut a few more pieces of wood and screw them into the trunk. This makes the trunk a bit more solid and gives a place to staple the string to. Get out some string and do some string art. Remember you need to leave space for the scrubber and to get your hand in there at the buds.

In my trunk I have just over 13" of hanging height.

That's it folks. You should be looking at something like this now.

Now, I just built this and have still to test it with a full harvest. (This weekend :woohoo: ) I'll be back to give a report on that. I posted this up in my diary yesterday and so far a few suggestions and concerns have been mold. This is something that can be monitored and a Moisture Meter would be a nice addition. Sugabear suggested adding a plate of rice to the bottom to absorb some moisture and I thought that to be a good idea. How about a silica pack stapled to the lid maybe? It's up to you folks.

If any of you have built something like this I'd like you to add a pic and your experience with it.
If any of you build one using the ideas from this thread I'd like you to add your pic and share your experience with it as well.

Hope you enjoyed folks. It took me very little time and not a dime! :wave:

BonsaiGrower.
Thanks ICMag :joint:

I LIKE IT! very nice job.
the rice on the bottom is a good idea, also charcoal brickettes work well, they absorb alot and might help with smell.
do you get a fair amount of air-flow thru the small hole?
looks great, i love these DIY projects. be cool

G

another great invention bonsaigrower, keep 'em coming :joint:

Last edited:

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
rkrone said:
another great invention pipedream, keep 'em coming :joint:

ive been subscribing as i see them :wave:

LOL...Pipedreams' a great guy and I read tons of great advice from him but this one's mine rkrone. Thanks for playing though..lol Peace man

Thanks Walkabout
:wave:

Sloppy Seconds. Thanks Man, good idea using charcoal as well. Yes I get good airflow as you can see from the back pressure pic above. I was more worried about too much airflow as the fan I'm using moves alot more air than a normal PC Slot fan.

Thanks for the input guys,
Taker Easy
BG

G

sorry i get baked and forget whose thread i am looking at sometimes so i will edit it and shift props to you sir

kooki

:yes: great DIY thread BG.. of course i saw it on ya diary but more details here and links so anyone can make their own... now do i have a cool chest like that? mmm heheh

G

i have a chest that is collecting dust w/ crap i dont use in it that im thinking about converting, where did you get that screen for the racks in there??

G

do you think that using that same stuff for a carbon scrubber screen will subtract too much surface area from a design similar to durbans idea

You could hook up one of those adaptors with changeable wattages.

B1000741759.jpg

Attach it to a 120mm casefan in the scrubber, you'll have the choice between a low airflow for those nice slow dries, but you can up to get your crop dry quick.

:sasmokin:

Last edited:

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
well look at that. I'm Approved! :woohoo:

I'm honoured Pontiac and thanks. For answering questions too :respect: :wave:

begeesterdechol... Yes you could hook up a speed control and actually I had tried that since I have a low voltage speed controller kickin around. (yes I chuckled too that I actually had one kickin around) However my fan needs full power for it to work apparantly. Some fans may work with one. :confused: oh and your link doesn't work man. But thanks for the idea all the same.

Hey Kooki ..thanks man. :wave: ...can't wait to see what ya come up with bro.

Rkone..thanks man...it's ok...I had to laugh cause I did the same thing once. Had two windows open, reading one and replying in the other. and here's the irony....Posted for Pipeline in Pipedreams thread. ...Pipedream you gotta be laughing at this point. :wave:

alright folks...thanks for checkin it out, I wanna see some other's work now.
Go raid your attic or basement and see what ya got. Heck, go raid the next garage sale you see. Bet you find the perfect trunk for 10 bucks.

Peace
BG

tngreen

Veteran
yes! not sure why i havent seen this in here but is exactly what im lookin for. needed a stealthy dryin space and i didnt want to sacrifice veg box space for it. will be building one of these in about month for sure! thanks for the great write-up!

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
:wave: Hey BG, just stopped by to say HI!!!Very nice DIY thread my man...keep em comin. By the way, what do u use for ur scrog????Peace.

- Z

:joint: :woohoo:

Propa-Gator

Thanks for sharing BG, nice design, entertaining and explicative text. Be using this knowledge sometime in the future, and will post a pic. Another thread that makes you think.

G

wow i just happen to have a box that is about that size, and its just in time for my first harvest. Thanks for the great idea....only thing is, what to do with the useless junk that has been in that box for 20 years? lol

i saw someone mentioned charcoal....we have used charcoal for years in motorhomes when they get put into storage. They absorbe a lot of moisture and keep mold from appearing.

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Well I'm so glad y'all like the idea. :wave:

Little update for ya. I have now tried it out with a full harvest. Popcorn budz on the shelf were dry ready for the jar in 5 days. The larger budz hanging took 7 days and were ready for the jars. No need for a paperbag treatment. I was shocked at how the budz maintained their smell compared to drying out in the open.

With this harvest I had no need for charcoal or silica. I'll keep that info stored in memory though for the hot humid summer days. Never know. :confused:

Hope this helps folks.
Peace
BG :wave:

pineappaloupe

I was in a pinch to dry my outdoor harvest, and had to do it in a garage. It rained almost every day during the dry, so I put some CaCl in the bottom of a trashcan and hung strings. The CaCl really sucks the moisture out of the air.
keep that in mind if you have humidity issues.