in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > H3ad goes Coco

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Sweet Seeds
H3ad goes Coco Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2007, 04:40 PM #1
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

Grat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud of
H3ad goes Coco

Highyas guys...

After watching and reading and generally being impressed with the results you've all been getting with the coco medium, I've had to make the switch myself...

Being the rebel that I am...Not having coco specific nutes, and having a full supply of GH flora micro and bloom, I've been working at tailoring the 'Modified Lucas formula' I was using in pro-mix to suit the coco better...

The mix I have arrived at has reduced levels of K and P, and a slight reduction in total concentration, because I have been keeping the runoff to a minimum (only a few ounces of water come thru, just enough to let me know I'm completely saturated...

So... when I was using a modified lucas formula... my nutrient profile when growing in promix was:
N 130
P 93
K 163
Mg 64
S 43
Ca 130

By mixing 8ml/gal micro and 14ml/gal bloom and watering with plain water every other watering...

In the coco, I am now using 6ml/gal micro and 9ml/gal bloom which gives the nute profile:
N 97
P 60
K 105
Mg 41
S 27
Ca 97

adding 1 g/gal epsom salts to the solution changes the numbers for mg and s to:
Mg 67
S 61

Adjusting for the extra available potassium in the coco, the new formula puts me very close to the 'target ratio'... Phosphorous is a tad low, but I think there should be no worries there...

Nothing is too far along in flower right now, but I'll get some pics up a bit later.

I have also seen advantage in keeping the coco fairly wet, I'm guessing that the coco holds the nutes so well, that as moisture evaporates out, concentrations rise...

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. ... It happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." – Carl Sagan

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no egoentity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words. Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities.""Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains." – Buddha

Last edited by Grat3fulh3ad; 07-26-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Grat3fulh3ad is offline Quote

20 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:53 PM #2

Another coco mofo in da house I use the Sunleaves piece coir which is a little more corse <<- spelling, than the standard Sunleaves. I add 15 scoops of big chunk perlite to it. I also use the Lucas formula and a tip to you if you don't already know is I always flush really good on the first watering to wash out extra crap. I like the Sunleaves brand because it comes in compressed blocks that expand to 2.5 cubic feet when water is added and it is OMRI.

I have found the lucas formula to be a little low in the N area or at least that is what my plants are telling me otherwise it is working great for me.

Can't wait to see your results I am sure you will never look back.

Take Care Bro

Mo

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:12 PM #3
brah

brah will become famous soon enough

lets see those beauties!!
brah is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM #4
Ms.Grat3ful
Sunshine DayDreamer

Ms.Grat3ful has disabled reputation
loco 4 coco

a little bush...
------------------------------------------------------------

..............say Cheese!

-------------------------------------------------------------

... Lovely Oriental Express...

...................... as always, more to come ..............

Peace and Love fello Canna and Coco heads....

Last edited by Ms.Grat3ful; 04-11-2007 at 05:15 PM..
Ms.Grat3ful is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 05:17 PM #5

OH MY GOD. It's become a COCO World around here. lolol

Can't wait to see more. Nothing but great things from the Head family. Take care and have a nice week.
Later,
BG

Old 04-11-2007, 05:18 PM #6
Grat3fulh3ad
The Voice of Reason

Grat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud ofGrat3fulh3ad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mo
Another coco mofo in da house I use the Sunleaves piece coir which is a little more corse <<- spelling, than the standard Sunleaves. I add 15 scoops of big chunk perlite to it. I also use the Lucas formula and a tip to you if you don't already know is I always flush really good on the first watering to wash out extra crap. I like the Sunleaves brand because it comes in compressed blocks that expand to 2.5 cubic feet when water is added and it is OMRI.

I have found the lucas formula to be a little low in the N area or at least that is what my plants are telling me otherwise it is working great for me.

Can't wait to see your results I am sure you will never look back.

Take Care Bro

Mo
Thanks for the tip, Mo...
Been on the coco for a couple of months, now... finally getting around to posting up...

I never had any problems from not flushing thoroughly, but I did run quite a bit of nute through to waste in the first few waterings...

As far as the lucas being a bit low in the N... My thoughts on that are as follows...

The excess of K which comes from the Lucas+coco locks out some of the available nitrogen, as well as Mg and Ca... Lowering my concentration of Potassuim made a visible improvement in the nitrogen defeciency I was seeing at first...

One of the nice things about the coco... It seems that whatever changes you make in feeding, show up rather rapidly.... When I started with the coco, I was using the same formulation I used for promix... I then modified it a bit to increase the N, and the plants said it still wasn't perfect, so I studied a bit, and changed direction... Instead of upping the N, try to adjust the K lower... In doing so, I had no choice but to lower the Mg as well, So I have to add the epsoms, but that brings the K:Mg:Ca ratios in line, and ups the Mg to near the 60 ppm generally recomended...

At that ratio, plant growth is significantly stronger than the pro-mix grows and I see no signs of any deficiencies or toxicities...

I do believe you're right... Can't see any reason to ever look back...

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. ... It happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." – Carl Sagan

"There is rebirth of character, but no transmigration of a self. Thy thought-forms reappear, but there is no egoentity transferred. The stanza uttered by a teacher is reborn in the scholar who repeats the words. Only through ignorance and delusion do men indulge in the dream that their souls are separate and self-existent entities.""Our thinking is gone, but our thoughts continue. Reasoning ceases, but knowledge remains." – Buddha
Grat3fulh3ad is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM #7
Ms.Grat3ful
Sunshine DayDreamer

Ms.Grat3ful has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustWomen
OH MY GOD. It's become a COCO World around here. lolol

Can't wait to see more. Nothing but great things from the Head family. Take care and have a nice week.
Later,
BG

Our OE is flipping HUGE! ... hoping to get a full shot for ya soon!

Mo!.... heyyyyy, nice to see you...

Thanks all...
Ms.Grat3ful is offline Quote

Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM #8

Yup,ya cant deny the benefits of Coco.From all I have been readin on it's just plain foolish to use anything else!
I am definately makin the switch but it takes a little time,Have you guys seen the plant size in coco compared to pot size,WOW!!These cats are flowerin in less than a gal!!Huge bushes.
Hey H3ad's always good to read yer posts and see your pics.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:27 PM #9

hell yeah man...I'm excited. Kicking everyone outta the front row and pulling up the recliner for this one.

Liking everything I'm seeing so far cept the epsom salts, I had trouble with using epsom, then again I had so many problems maybe that wasn't it at all. My gut says you'd do better with cal/mag+ from my experience, which is also N based and gives em that extra N kick MrMo was talking about.

H3AD.....I need H3AD!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:30 PM #10
SUNSIMULATOR+
Banned

SUNSIMULATOR+ will become famous soon enoughSUNSIMULATOR+ will become famous soon enough
nice bro!!! i'll be watching this one!! (an thinking) lol

looks great!!
SUNSIMULATOR+ is offline Quote