What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homemade HPS reflector for under $10 USD - OG Save

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Left Nut - Homemade HPS reflector for under $10 USD (OG Save)

---

Hello Og'ers,

In response to a recent question in the basics forum, I searched out and recreated an old post by slowhand that outlines the plans to make this really bitchin' reflector. Since he nuked his handle, the post is unreadable without jumping through some hoops. I have his explicit permission to do this, we have reamained in touch over the years. Here goes:

Hi folks:

I don't think this is a new idea but here is how I did my homemade reflector for my kit-made HPS.

All you need is a metal mail-box and a few basic tools:

-cheap metal mailbox ($5)
-drill and bits
-pop rivet gun
-tin snips
-pliers
-screwdriver
- Can of 'Rustoleum' Chrome paint ($4)

Lets start with a shot of the dis-assembled mailbox.

I had already made my first cuts when it occured to me to record the process for others......this box was just "press-riveted"... I poped the seams apart with a flat screwdriver, tapping slightly at the seams....the "cut" part is simply the bottom of the mailbox. The half-round end piece is made from this part. ..edit by Left Nut

Notice in the above pic...... I was already cutting the end piece for the reflector from the bottom piece of the mailbox. I slightly opened up the mailbox, altering the curve to an appropriate shape... then I just placed the hood on the endpiece and traced out the cut line with a majic marker.

Notice I cut LARGER than the marked line to leave some lip edge to use for attaching the end piece... now cut "ears" into the lap edge and fold every other one down and fit the end to the top as shown...

Next fasten the end to the hood with rivets....by first securing the end piece to the hood with spring clamps and then drilling the pilot holes through the bent down tabs and the hood... Insure there is a "tight" fit, leaving no gap between the end piece and the hood.

Now secure with pop rivets...

Please notice that I have already "located" my 5KV socket in the end piece and predrilled the holes...

Now use pliers to "fold" over the remaining edges...... as shown. It may be necessary to trim the "tab" in order for it to fit correctly over the lip on the relfector (one end of the mailbox will have a lip... be sure to use it on the correct end!)

...and continue all the way around...

The finished metalwork...

PLEASE notice that I left two of the un-bent tabs straight out and trimmed them to have rounded edges... these will be my "hangpoints"...

Now outdoors for a couple of coats...... of Rust-o-leum "Chrome" paint on the "inside" surfaces. It is very bright and shiny...

After painting.......attach the fixture. Notice I taped the metal edge of the hole that the wires pass through.. this will prevent the rough metal edge from cutting into the wires.....pls note Spliffco's suggestion posted below for this step. Obviously, there are better things to use than just tape... use a grommet, as Spliff suggests.... edit by Left Nut

Now attach the chain to the hangpoints......my box already had a hole in the refector in the top center at the far end.... Allows for a perfect "3-point" hold for stability. Play with chain-length to the front edge of the reflector to get the proper "angle" when holding it in the hanging position ....as shown....

Electrical...

SAFETY FIRST! ATTACH THAT GROUND WIRE!!!!!

...also note that the main cord from the ballast is attached to the housing with a plastic strain-relief (available in the electonics section) and screwed down firmly.

This will prevent any accidental jerks to the more fragile wire connections. I have not yet done it, but I plan to attach a small metal junciton box to the outside of the reflector to contain all of the exposed wire connectors.

Action Shot! Look at the difference!!!!.. before, the top half of the closet was just as bright as you now see it at the bottom.... all those lumens just bouncing around up there doing nothing....

Now, lookee here.... efficiency!!!! The girls SHOWED me immediately how much THEY approved of the upgrade, .....mucho more frost!

This concludes the plans... feel free to modify and customize ... milage may vary.

cheers and lumens,
slo

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
That is wicked sweet.....I'd seen the turkey pans but I never came across that on overgrow, nice find..... K+++++

bud_me

Wow this is an amazing alternative. How much are pop rivet guns? Making me think of investing in one. And could I pick up such a mailbox at a hardware store? Once again bad ass man, thanks for the DIY

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice work.
Not trying to stomp on your thread but...
I made an octagonal reflecter a few years back from an OG thread and opted for flat white ceramic engine paint(Advanced auto) with titanium dioxide in it.
ive only gotten 3 males under this lamp since I built it and I use HPS all the way through the grow...not too mention I torture them on purpose to weed out the weaklings/hermies.
My theory is that the paint changes the light frequency to something that promotes females when using HPS for veg.
it has to be because thats the only thing Ive changed(same EXACT bulb) and I used to get less than 50 % females.
My suggestion is to use such a paint for reflection of light, as chrome paint is not so reflective and actually absorbs light

Ganico

Veteran
That's straight up genius. I'm gonna try to figure out how to make an air-cooled version of this.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Awesome idea. A mailbox is a great premade reflector, I'm with Ganico though, I'll be making one of these air cooled. I'll be sure to post some pics of the final product.

Ganico

Veteran
Well I got the $10 one instead of the cheaper, less sturdy $5 one. Couldn't "pop" or pry off one end, after about two hours and many cigarettes later I got pissed off and tried to just cut it off with some tin-snips, that lasted about 15 minutes before it was bent and mangled and only cut about 3".

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ganico said:
Well I got the $10 one instead of the cheaper, less sturdy $5 one. Couldn't "pop" or pry off one end, after about two hours and many cigarettes later I got pissed off and tried to just cut it off with some tin-snips, that lasted about 15 minutes before it was bent and mangled and only cut about 3".

Sounds like the job for a dremel tool.

G

On my new cabinet, I was considering making a bat wing reflector with sheet metal. Then I ran across this.....interesting and a cheap mail box, ironically, is cheaper than a piece of unshaped sheet metal (I know, makes no sense).

I'm not that great with tin snips myself. You're not getting a straight line with me and a pair of tin snips - just ain't happening. I didn't even consider using the dremel. That changes everything. You'll get a straight-ish line out of me with a dremel.

My current reflector is still a plain ole aluminum turkey pan. Has worked great thus far, I just want something prettier is all.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Ganico said:
Sounds like me with just about every siezed nut/fastner/connector/bolt on my car.

Ganico

Veteran
I mean, that design really is clever as hell. If you're pretty good with your hands you'd probably be able to do it. I just lacked the proper tools, and probably patience. I'd go with the more flimsy $5 one though, cause I bet it's a lot easier to bend and cut, lot thinner. Probably woulda did fine with the tin snips on that

Latest posts

Latest posts