Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Another Sensi Star grow from seed, looking for the Ogre

Thread Title Search
Another Sensi Star grow from seed, looking for the Ogre Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM #1
Rosy Cheeks
dancin' cheek to cheek

Rosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud of
Another Sensi Star grow from seed, looking for the Ogre

You’ve probably seen plenty of threads on this darling strain already, so here’s another one! Let’s start from the beginning.

I grew Sensi Star a few years ago, and held on to one of the higher yielding Indica phenos. Even though I kept one mother, I only did that one grow. I had seven females out of one pack that I turned into trees, so the stash lasted for a while.
A friend of a friend grows Sensi Star as well, which I’ve toked on. To be quite honest, I think his pheno was better than my keeper. The high just had something extra to it. So maybe I made a bad choice or just didn’t get that special kicker in my pack. I’ve skimmed through a number of Ogre threads (Ogre is a freak pheno of SS), and none of my Sensis ever matched the yield or high descriptions of that pheno. So, my SS mother went into the flowerroom, and I decided to start 2007 with a new pack of Sensi Stars. Who knows, perhaps a new Ogre in there (that will be named Shrek).

I picked up the seeds in a shop behind Amsterdam’s red light district (sorry OP, none of the strains I asked you for that day were in stock). Customs almost found them on my return, but I do know how to hide them (I hope they’re reading this, fucking loosers). I dropped the seeds in a glass of lukewarm water, kept them there for half a day, then germed them between moist cotton wads (which I consider superior for germination to paper towels). They germed within 24h, all except one, and nine sprouts went into cups filled with BioBizz all-mix.

"The time has come" the walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes-and ships-and sealing wax
Of cabbages-and kings-
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings."

Lewis Carroll

Rosy's Mugshots and stuff...

looking for the Ogre

Blueberry Buds and some Wild Thoughts

Overgrow!

-Anything said by Rosy Cheeks is made up by a person trying to make himself seem important on the internet. The pictures in the gallery are photoshopped fakes.
Rosy Cheeks is offline Quote

Old 03-23-2007, 06:34 PM #2
Rosy Cheeks
dancin' cheek to cheek

Rosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud ofRosy Cheeks has much to be proud of
He knows how to pick winners, I think you're all good with that cut LIMELIGHT.
As they grew and asked for food, I started out with trial doses of BioBizz Fish-mix, and Plagrons’s root booster, called Roots. I love this stuff and feed all seedling and clones with it. It contains mainly humus, is black as tar, smells great, and sells for half the price of Canna’s Rhizotonic. It makes the roots go wild.

I mist regularly through infancy, and as they get bigger I foliar feed various different products. Fulvic acids, occasional treats of superthrive, Plagron’s phyt-amine, etc. From week three and until harvest I also add Atami’s ATA XL, which is something similar to Liquid Karma (unavaible in Europe), a coctail of carbohydrates, vitamins, amino acids and natural plant hormones

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages-and kings-

Lewis Carroll

looking for the Ogre

Overgrow!

-Anything said by Rosy Cheeks is made up by a person trying to make himself seem important on the internet. The pictures in the gallery are photoshopped fakes.

Last edited by Rosy Cheeks; 03-29-2007 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM #3
Rosy Cheeks
dancin' cheek to cheek

No OCD, just a pair of green thumbs and good, stable genetics. Here they are in late veg and still the same uniformity.

As the plants grow and ask for bigger pots, I mix some coco into the all-mix. The coco retains the water slightly better than the all-mix, and gives me some more slack in watering.

Sensi Stars are nute hogs and I found myself constantly increasing the doses. Running mostly perpetual grows in both growrooms, my problem has never been slow growth (depending on strain), but rather keeping them down until the flowerroom's free. This is no problem with the Sensi Star though, she's so compact and behaved under the fluos. They did try to grab the light, pull it down and eat it though.

In end veg, I discovered spider mites (which I thought I’d nuked out of my growroom a couple of months earlier), among my mothers. I therefore had to rethink the rest of the grow. I sprayed them with Dicofol (which is okay in veg) once, and then continued treating with Brimex, Neem oil and Chili spray. Some of them got burned by the dicofol and one plant lost it's top cola (with the same effect as if I topped it). I will keep high air humidity and low temps all through flower, it will probably be okay (thinking about fungi) since the Sensi Star doesn’t grow that thick colas. Lucky me I’not growing Blockhead.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages-and kings-

Lewis Carroll

looking for the Ogre

Overgrow!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 PM #4
A.N.Other
milk?

A.N.Other has a spectacular aura aboutA.N.Other has a spectacular aura aboutA.N.Other has a spectacular aura aboutA.N.Other has a spectacular aura about
Wow. AWESOME uniformity on those. Growth structure, leaf structure, everything looks the same! Looks great. Look forward to the flowering shots!

You found out what we knew all along. Keeping us down won't make us weak, it makes us strong.
A.N.Other is offline Quote

Old 03-24-2007, 01:08 AM #5
Rosy Cheeks
dancin' cheek to cheek

Yes, great genetics. But once flowering starts for real, it'll change. Here they are on day 9 in flower.

I hoped to be able to tell sex from pre-flowers before going into flower, but the Sensis were in no hurry, so all nine plants went in under a single 600w HPS with reinforced blue spectrum (because of space issues) when the first alternating internodes appeared. Preflowers were only a couple of days away. The thing was, even though the primordia did give an idea of which were staminate or pistillate, the first hairs appeared before the first balls. There were no particular difference in height between males and females, so I just had to wait them out.

Male or female, have your pic.

Female.

My favourite plant in terms of phenotype turned out to be male. Bummer!

Once the chop was over (no pics of the kill, censored due to parental advisory) I ended up with 6 females out of 9 plants, which is quite decent.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages-and kings-

Lewis Carroll

looking for the Ogre

Overgrow!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 PM #6
Rosy Cheeks
dancin' cheek to cheek

Here we are four days later (day 14 in flower) with the six remaining candidates for the Miss Sensi Star competition, and as you can see, things are starting to happen.

As the first week of flower sets in, I feed the plants vegetative nutrients, and when the first flowers form I change the diet. In this grow, I'm using BioBizz food (Bio-Grow, Bio-Bloom), some No Mercy’s liquid bat Guano, and General Hydroponics Bio Bloom as flower booster. I like to play around with nutrients, trying as many as I can. It turned out to be all organic this time around, for no particular reason. The Sensi Stars keep crying for more food though, and BioBizz nutrient chart isn’t really good for much when it comes to hungry Indicas.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages-and kings-

Lewis Carroll

looking for the Ogre

Overgrow!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:29 PM #7
Alex-F
Traktor driver

Alex-F is just really niceAlex-F is just really niceAlex-F is just really niceAlex-F is just really niceAlex-F is just really niceAlex-F is just really niceAlex-F is just really niceAlex-F is just really niceAlex-F is just really nice
Good show so far mate Lovely clean environment.

If she turns out anything like Maxomi's SS you'll have yourself a keeper for sure.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:14 PM #8
Rosy Cheeks
dancin' cheek to cheek

I think I need more light and an extremely dialed-in set up to touch Maximo's outstanding colas Alex-F. I don't think I ever saw a pure Sensi Star pic of his, just his legendary White Widow X Sensi Star. I would like to though.

Day 23 in flower. As you can see, all ladies are perky and happy to show their buds. There hasn't been a lot of hits on this thread so far, but I know you're waiting for the hardware. It's coming...

Come on Sensi Star fans, chime in. I would love to see some pics of that pheno you’ve got LIMELIGHT. After all, this thread is about the Ogres out there.

I haven't seen a SS pheno that can be classified as high yielding. Still, I remember Rezdog saying once that it yields well, and a few other posters have expressed the same opinion. I guess the Ogre is the proof of it, if it is 100% Sensi Star.

"To talk of many things:
Of cabbages-and kings-

Lewis Carroll

looking for the Ogre

Overgrow!

Last edited by Rosy Cheeks; 03-29-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-24-2007, 09:27 PM #9
Farmer John
A humble dirt farmer

Farmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud ofFarmer John has much to be proud of
Looking great Rosy!!!!! yeah, gotta love Sensi Star...

Old pics..
Farmer John is offline Quote

Old 03-25-2007, 07:49 AM #10
-VT-
Voluptuous Trichomes

-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice-VT- is just really nice
Lookin great Rosy Cheeks...glad you like amending with coco
never tagged any of your threads before...I'm on this one

peace