Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > water polymers guerilla growers savior? (retaining moisture)

Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Seven Springs Farm!
water polymers guerilla growers savior? (retaining moisture) Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 10:06 AM #1
DimeBag65
You will not be forgotten

DimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of light
water polymers guerilla growers savior? (retaining moisture)

Someone brought these to my attention the other day and i thought it deserved its own thread seeing how much praises i heard about them. for how many people have lost their plants due to the ground drying out or missing waterings between hot days, these could help you harvest your crops while the guy down the way loses all.

http://www.watersorb.com/index.htm

from what iv heard if you dont wanna mix it through soil after planting a good method would be to drill down deep and drop these water crystals down the holes. they retain a nice bit of water and will retain it in the area where your roots will need to be getting water. i got excited first time i heard the success and read up on these. i do believe they could help many. hopefully some of you will be able to put these to use and enjoy! Hail the leaf, Dime
DimeBag65 is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 02:14 PM #2
Highlighter
ring that bell

Highlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant futureHighlighter has a brilliant future
Always a mainstay in my guerilla garden.
I can never water enough, and I believe my yields would be alot less w/o the Soil Moist polymers.
Every spring I stir up my old holes, adding amendments & polymers, and never see a trace of last yrs' polymers. WHere do they go? Can't believe they break down so well.

Brotherhood of Eternal Love

R.I.P. DR. Jay, medical messiah
R.I.P. Medjool, ganja goddess
R.I.P. LMN , sativa king
Highlighter is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 PM #3
DimeBag65
You will not be forgotten

DimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of lightDimeBag65 is a glorious beacon of light
thats awsome to hear man... iv been hearing more people say their plants wouldnt have survived the year out without the wonderful water retaining polymers. sure hope people dont just pass these up and have a crop die off... these are opposite of trying to have drainage... trying to keep that water all nice and close up on your roots where they can get to it. anyone else had success due to polymers?
DimeBag65 is offline Quote

Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 AM #4
Dignan
The Soapmaker!

Dignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the rough
I use them. My only reservation was that I'd heard they impart a plastic smell and taste to your buds. I noticed no such thing with my plants and have another friend who grew alongside me who reported the same.

Soak them before adding them to your pots, by the way, or they may push your soil right up out of the pots when they expand (depending on the volume of polymer crystals and the size of the pot, of course).

Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 AM #5
masterlow37
Banned

masterlow37 has a spectacular aura aboutmasterlow37 has a spectacular aura aboutmasterlow37 has a spectacular aura aboutmasterlow37 has a spectacular aura about
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan
I use them. My only reservation was that I'd heard they impart a plastic smell and taste to your buds. I noticed no such thing with my plants and have another friend who grew alongside me who reported the same.

Soak them before adding them to your pots, by the way, or they may push your soil right up out of the pots when they expand (depending on the volume of polymer crystals and the size of the pot, of course).
what about in 15-30/gal. holes in the ground, do you still nead to soak first ?...thanx
masterlow37 is offline Quote

Old 03-21-2007, 01:34 AM #6
bio-forte

bio-forte will become famous soon enough
I'm thinking of using them but I'm worried we'll have a real wet spring/early summer(not uncommon were I live) and the holes will stay soaked. But also that there could be a wicked hot later season when I could really use them. I'm sure If you have an overly moist period they must exacerbate the problem???????? Any ideas????
bio-forte is offline Quote

Old 03-21-2007, 01:51 AM #7
Dignan
The Soapmaker!

Dignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the roughDignan is a jewel in the rough
masterlow- I personally would soak them first but it's probably not as crucial as with a container.

bio-forte- my understanding is that the polymer crystals absorb water and a crystal will only release moisture once the air/material surrounding it is dry enough to "absorb" it. I'm not sure it would make an overly wet situation worse, but it certainly wouldn't help matters. I live in a very arid environment and am pretty much forced to use the crystals. If that weren't the case, I'd skip them personally.

As a sidenote, the properties of these crystals are such that they absorb a TON of water and release it VERY SLOWLY. When I first started messing around with these, I put about 1 teaspoon of crystals in the bottom of a pint glass jar and then filled the jar with water. A few hours later, the jar was FULL of crystals. All the water had been absorbed by the crystals.

I then set the jar out with the lid off to see how long it would take for the crystals to release the moisture they had absorbed... a week later the level hadn't gone down at all, so I gave up and added the crystals to my soil mix.

I apologize for rambling. Fast fingers.

Last edited by Dignan; 08-23-2007 at 03:42 AM..
Dignan is offline Quote

Old 03-21-2007, 02:01 AM #8
abc123xyz

abc123xyz is on a distinguished road
Found a cheaper place for polymers (for me anyway). 5 lbs for $30.47 with shipping instead of $30.00 for 4 lbs at the other place.

http://water-keep.com/

Anyone find cheaper on the net?
abc123xyz is offline Quote

Old 03-21-2007, 02:04 AM #9
masterlow37
Banned

masterlow37 has a spectacular aura aboutmasterlow37 has a spectacular aura aboutmasterlow37 has a spectacular aura aboutmasterlow37 has a spectacular aura about
Cool

^^^ thanx Dignan ^^^^

Last edited by masterlow37; 03-21-2007 at 02:08 AM..
masterlow37 is offline Quote

Old 03-21-2007, 05:54 AM #10
Ganico

Ganico has a spectacular aura aboutGanico has a spectacular aura aboutGanico has a spectacular aura aboutGanico has a spectacular aura about
Walmart sells them, not that cheap though, it's about $3 for a small jug. Would be cheap enough for a small grow though
Ganico is offline Quote