What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Kief making method

Dan42nepa

This time when before i started screening my cutting and buds through silkscreen, I filled a wide mouth canning jar with the above and inserted a ball from a computer mouse. I shook for about 5 minutes then screened though a medium hand held kitchen screen then ran the results though my silk screen.
Anyone use this method? Think i am missing or damaging trichs doing this?
My results were pretty good and I was inspired by a hash video where buds were placed in plastic bags and beaten with a club. This is my second kief making attempt and the first since i got finer silk screen then I was previously using...

G

I've seen people use this method before with the exception of a mouse ball, I saw a thread where a guy just ground his trim through a kitchen screen strainer and then sifted his trichs from the powder with his silkscreen, kinda the same thing.

Dan42nepa

actually its not that big a deal. I think i read of people putting marbles in their tumbler. Just dont know if there is a better way. I plan on running the used trimmings now through a BHO extractor.

TheHashAssassin

i make all my persie hash that way, except I dont put anything hard in there when I am shaking it, just the leaf itself, this allows for the purest grade to be made.

Pactivist

my methods

my methods

you can click the link in my sig line for a full explanation but they say a pic is worth a 1000 words so....

that's about 4000 words worth ... hope it helps
peAce,
pacT

G

Thanks for chiming in you were the one I was talking about, peace

C

Chamba

there lots of ways to dry sift trichomes..but regardless of which technique is used it's always a question of quality and quantity.

i love sticky blond pure resin but i always kif the guts out of my material as well

the best way is to get both!

for quality, one way is to freeze the material for an hour or more as this makes the resin more brittle and the ultra dryness assists dry sifting ...and don't grind the plant material, but gently break up the larger pieces, small buds can gently ground up into smaller pieces (do this over the mesh)... gently toss or shake the material, don't crowd the mesh with plant material,,,this way, very little of the plant matter will break up and fall through the mesh with the resin heads....

roughly, after a few minutes about half of the resin should have fallen through the material (providing the plant material is aged, dry,a mesh size suited to the trichome sizes, a good technique is used and it is dry sifted in a low humidity room)

..set aside this sticky blond resin...don't press it as it burns so much better and more economically than pressed hash.....you can also re-sift this "blond" (or any dry sifte to improve it) over the same mesh using a credit type card, stopping when about 90% has fallen through each time. this will make it even purer as the heads are heavier and rounder so fall through the mesh in greater % than the lighter, odd shaped broken leaf matter.

...and now re-freeze the material for an hour or more then strip the remaining resin heads from the plant material...i always recommend freezsing the material before you work the material over a screen as it's always high humidity around here...this might not be necessary in low RH areas, rooms)grind the material down to rolling consistancy and use a more aggressive method of shaking or moving the material to and fro across the mesh (or tumble for a longer duration)..

the more the material is worked the higher % of broken up plant matter falls through with the remaining resin..that's why it's not always best to grind the material up very fine then work it aggressively for the first run..but this is how I do it on my 3rd "run" then I compost it

there becomes a point during the 3rd run when over 95% of the resin has been stripped off the plant that it becomes not worth working it any longer (unless you want to make UK soapbar hash that is.)

Happy Kiffing!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

btw...for lots more info on hash from many posters....have a search through my previous posts as I often pop into threads like this about dry sifting and hashing...

a few hours reading will increase your yields

TimewarP

we useta call that bouncy ball btw..
anything that beats up the plant matter will no doubt result in more green in your end product