What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Modular PVC SCROG trellis

Status
Not open for further replies.

pico

Veteran
I like to make an even canopy under my lights and here is how I do that. PVC SCROG screens. Not sure exactly if this is considered SCROG or not as the trellis used has 6" squares. I have used different sized holes but I like the larger ones the best.

Ok, it is pretty easy to make these units and they are fairly cheap.

You will need

3/4" PVC pipe
Side Outlet 90's (SxSxFips) pvc joint

garden trellis
fat doobie
threaded pvc pipe
tape
pvc glue

ok, I use 4x4 ebb flow tables for all my plants because they are great for catching runoff, fit perfectly under a 1000w light.... So I build my screens to fit inside those trays. You can modify to whatever size you need.

Measure your pvc, I have 4 lengths at 4 feet.

Cut with your saw of choice. Yes, I did need the laser guided chop saw for this job.

Ok, now I take those four 4' lengths and link them all together in a square. build this on a flat floor to make it easier.

dry fit everything and make sure it is the correct size. The actual dimensions will be about 2" larger than the lengths you cut your pipe to. This is because of the joints adding about an inch each.

Ok, once you have everything dry fitted and tested, lets glue it all together. We don't need to get crazy with the glue since it isn't holding water pressure. Just a little inside the joint will hold plenty tight.

press it all together

Ok, what a workout. Probably time to smoke a phatty.

I like to use the threaded pvc legs that way I can break these units down easy and different size legs can be screwed in for different size plants.

Now take your garden trellis and spread it evenly over your pvc frame. I use electrical tape to fasten it down, but whatever you have around will work.

Thats that, now pop this baby over your plants and pull them all under.

pico

Veteran
Thanks Indy. Hopefully it will help someone or give them a good idea. Deffinately has increased my yields by having everything all spread out.

pico

Veteran
Just finished making all the nets for my garden and installed them today. so easy to build and will last for years to come.

12245IMG_0769.JPG

12245IMG_0765.JPG

12245IMG_0781.JPG

G

Nice idea...

I will probably use it with a couple mods.....

First I like being able to tear my grows down the glue prevents that.....

Second I think I would drill holes thru the pvc so no tape....

I would also use phone wire(the multi strand multi color stuff) for the screen.....

Stringing the scrog would keep it together without glue ....

Some might also use 2 piece legs with unions so its easy to change the height of the legs.... this would require smaller pieces... or threaded connectors instead of threaded pipe if you have those laying about....

The 3 legged elbows are the key to this great idea....

thanks.....

Last edited:

NorCal

Veteran
damn ive been doing a bunch of stuff w/ pvc lately, built me a cloner/mister thats helping me dabble in hydro, and now this. I might even use some to partition off a room and make a ghetto rigged hydro hut w/ some panda film, thanx for the tip...

pico

Veteran
Glad you guys like it.

Oogglebird- yeah the glue is not necessary at all. the screen will hold it all together. I use these a lot and move around and like my main squares glued. I just take off my legs and could easily fit 50 of these in the back of a truck. I change my leg length for different strains and whatnot and those threaded 1/2" shedule 80 sections are great. Deffinately never glue the legs on.

They do make a 3 way elbow that uses all 3/4" slip joints, but they don't carry those at my hardware store. With those 3 ways, you could just use 3/4" pvc for the legs. That would be cheaper than the threaded legs and you could easily slip different size legs in there.

killabrown420

cool! i like your garden alot pico, real simple and effective...nice going w/ the screens, might build one for my box here shortly..thanks for the DIY, will come in handy when the day comes

scrogg on brotha

pico

Veteran
Thanks Killa and Rush.

Check out the plants. They all look good, but the table that looks the best is the one that i scrogged a week earlier then the rest. Not sure if you can even tell in the pictures which one it is.

These are day 20 or 21 flower.

12245IMG_1003.JPG

12245IMG_1005.JPG

12245IMG_0994.JPG

pico

Veteran
really? I don't understand how this would be hard. You are just taking 4 pieces of pipe and joining them with premade corners. I like PVC because it is more sterile. Nothing to rot or get funky next to my buds.

I do build a lot of stuff out of wood.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Yeah, I've only ever built one piece of PVC equipment, but I'd take that over wood any day, unless it was made to be a load bearing structure, wood is better for strength/stability. For ease of use and versatility, my pick is definitely PVC.

I just built a PVC Scrog Screen for my little hydro setup, it's a very similar process. I looked at the one used in mtnjohn's cabinet. He took a picture, and I counted the PVC parts, bought them and a cheap little handsaw, cut them all to size and pieced it together, it was extremely easy. (PVC sawdust/shavings are a bitch in the carpet though)

The first one is mtnjohn's, and the second is my version.

3822scrogframe2-med.JPG

11908Scrog_tub-med.jpg

All the parts were cheap, and it took very little time to put together. Definitely good to see some PVC guides around though.

G

How do you like your air king pico?They are killer fans but they would be so much better if they angled up when mounted,especially if you're using co2 enrichment.I tried to mount her upside down lol but ran into a few snags

pico

Veteran
More screen photos. I added some 3x6 pvc screens to my ebb flow tables.

ballastman-the fan works ok. I wish the mounts were a little different and it had better adjustments. Also, even on low mode it puts out a lot of air. I almost wish it was a little slower.

Last edited:
G

got to try these out just nervous my old ass my trample the my flowers when weaving and using a cane

coolx

Hey pico - noticed you've been doing scrog screens like that for a while. I started to use almost the same set up a couple of years ago, though I think your setup is a little too much work.

A table saw is quicker, but I only have a small handsaw - good enough, and instead of having the supports at the corners, I have a T in the middle of each side and another 1/2" pvc pipe going down to the table (makes for double the number of pipes to cut tho). I never thought of supports at the corners cos my HD didn't have any 3 way corner pieces.

Theres a much easier way of making the supports - it so happens if you saw a pvc pipe in half, it fits exactly on the lip of a white flood table, so I chop a 't' down the middle screw it into the table and the support fits into that. (hmmm i guess I could chop the 3-way corner piece in half and that would fit on the corner and save having to cut 8 side pieces).

Also, your method of netting looks very complicated. What I do is drill small holes every 6" along the side, and make a simple wire needle through which I thread some fishing wire, which I can pull as tight as I want.

I can make a 4' x 4' screen start to finish in about 1 hr., but then I like to sand down all the edges just cos I like to keep things clean - less places for bacteria to hang out, so that takes another hour cos I do it by hand.

Also, doesn't seem any point in gluing anything. those pipes are hard enough to break down as it is never mind gluing them. Then also, the next grow you can adjust the height if you're doing a different strain.

When I get my cam going again I'll post some pics.

EDIT: Just reread/looked ... I guess those black legs are pvc pipes too .... and it looks like you don't fasten them down, just set them in the tray. I just like to fasten mine down cos I have several trays in a tight area and I'd be knocking them around a bit.

Great idea though. I also did a bunch of screens like this for my earlier soil grows - made 18" x 18" screens and screwed them to the top of 5 gal pots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts