What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry sifting with bubblebags?

G

I know u get a purer product with water hash but i've not got much trim so was wondering whether i can dry the trim out and rub it through the screens of the bubblebags seeing as they're like silk screens? the only problem is i ripped the 220 bag but the other 5 bags are in tact. does not having the 220 bag mess it all up or can i get away with using just the 190 micron bag first? cheers

ECUG

Hey, I think to work the BEST dry the bags should be pretty tight across the surface, which could be difficult to do without further damaging the bags. Im sure it will work ok any way you do it, but as you said the best would be with water. If you dont have enough material to do a wet run, why not just store the material until you accumulate enough to make a worth while run? Patients really seems to pay off in the MM world. Hope I helped.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Using them dry or carding you are probably going to get the best results in the 90u and larger micron sizes. 190u first is fine.

G

No I think he means that he doesn't have enough trim to pull a decent bubble run se he is going to use the screens to dry sift the trim.

C

Chamba

I've never measured it.....but from doing a little dry sifting over the years I've noticed a majority of dry, mature resin heads (trichomes) range in size from 60 ~ 100 micron..some indoor strains have larger sized trics and many sativas have smaller trichomes on average...so under most circumstances a 90 micron mesh is not recommended for kiffing...

use a herb grinder to break up the herbs over a 190 ~ 150 micron mesh and a gentle carding, shaking or swirling action to allow a majority of the resin heads through the mesh while preventing most of the broken vegetable matter from falling through with the heads...

then card this kif over a 150 ~ 110 micron mesh which will help remove more veg matter and still allowing the resin heads to fall through....you can also repeat the process and card the cleaner kif over the same mesh screen again to further clean it up (on this second run through the mesh make sure to stop carding when 90% of the kif has passed through as the stuff that stays on top is mostly trash*

and then you can card the rough kif over a taut 45 ~ 60 micron mesh so the impurities pass through the mesh and the resin heads remain on the mesh.

* ideally use a magnifying glass and work out which of the meshes you have are best..and it will also tell you when to stop and when to keep on kiffing!

ckeck out bubbleman's site ..it has instructions on how to dry sift using the 3 screen Bubble box

I've never used bubble bags to dry sift with (I always use my stash box)...but probably the best way would be to cut the bottom off a bucket, you need sides of about 100 mm / 4 inches or more, sand the rough cut edge off so the mesh doesn't get holed, place the bottomless bucket in the 160 micron bag, and then place the bag/bucket combo into another clean bucket so the mesh is nice and taut....collect the rough kif, change the mesh bag to a finer screen and card it through.... this is one way to make a temporary dry sifting set up if you have bubble bags!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

if you just want to get a small amount of quality kif then card the buds over a 120 micron mesh (then re-sift the kif over the same mesh again)...set this kif aside and then ice hash the remaining veg matter..combine the two types of hash when the wet hash has dried and you'll have the best of both worlds - the dry sifted hash will add flavor, taste and complexity to the high and the very clean resin from the ice hash method will add potency...a good combo is a 50/50 mix of dry sifted kif and ice hash

G

PB taught me a good trick with the bubble bags, cut a hole that fits a shop vac in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, put your bags in and work the material with your hands the vac will separate the resins

TheHashAssassin

dry sifting with the bags makes killer hash man. I shake mine through the 220u, then card over a 120u and 80u framed screen. the hash from under the 80u usually bubbles and melts.

G

Dank1 said:
No I think he means that he doesn't have enough trim to pull a decent bubble run se he is going to use the screens to dry sift the trim.
yeah that's what i meant! i know u get more even tho theres more plant matter. i'm going to add some bud as well seeing as i don't enjoy smoking it, i guess thats why the seeds were free! :pointlaugh:

only got about an oz all together so i'll do an experiment and grade each one like suggested. i don't think i'll bother with the bags smaller than 75 u, i'll probably use no more than 3 bags only problem is i destroyed my 220 bag with my blender but i think i'll get away with using the 190 bag.
thanks again

Last edited:
G

Dank1 said:
what strain do you not like?
It was a lockdown#2 free seeds from DR.C i now know why they're not on his list anymore! lotos of resin but not very potent resin and mild boring taste.