What's new

NG2k’s Northern Screen of Organic Green

NG2k

:wave: Welcome all to my Northern Lights Organic Stealth Grow :wave:

The setup:
Grow space of 2’(w) x 1.5’(d) x 4.5’(w).... totalling 3 sq.ft
Lighting is currently a 70W HPS and an extra 80W of CFL’s giving me 50W/sq.ft. but yesterday I bought a 150W HPS which I will use through flower instead of the rest.
Medium is bio-bizz allmix with extra perlite and vermiculite.
Nutes are currently bio-bizz bio-grow and bio-bloom
Ventilation is using an AKASA 120mm PC fan as my exhaust and a PC fan to vent room. Even with all 5 bulbs on temps stay at about 24-28*C during 24/0.

The story:
This is only my second grow but this time round I have tried to use a few of the more advanced techniques just to get some experience under me belt and try something new. I had 3 nirvana northern lights seeds and I vegged them until I found a girl. I was left with 2 boys and a girl so I kept her vegging for about 24 weeks (due to me being lazy and having trouble with cloning) before axing her.

My first batch of clones (wick cloner) died after rooting and the second batch (also in wick cloner) didn’t root. The third (time lucky) batch was a really half-assed effort and I just took some cuttings and put them straight into soil in a seed tray insert. yet these came out the best :tongue:.

I took 15 cuts off the mother, 4 died immediately after being cloned. Then 3 more died whilst rooting…. Being left with 8, I transplanted up and after a week or so of vegging I chose the best 6 of the bunch and transplanted up again to a mix of 80% All-mix 20% Perlite.

I vegged a week and a half more before transplanting to their finishing pot. After finding out that nuts and seeds contain lots of micronutrients and being in an area with very “hard” water (south UK) some of these can get “locked out”. So I did some research into it and what seeds/nuts contained what and how much etc. and talking to a few growers in chat I finalized these plans and decided to make a little nut/seed recipe to add to my soil….. and make a little experiment of it as it goes.

2 of the clones are kept as a “control” in 80% all-mix 15% Perlite 5% Vermiculite
2 of the clones are in the same mix but with an added low mix of the “recipe”
And 2 of the clones are in the same mix but with a higher mix of the “recipe”

The nut/seed mix was ground up as best as I could but sesame seeds are very small and not all got crushed. I did not realise that they were still viable seeds and that they hadn’t been cooked…. 3 days on when the soil started lifting up round the edges of the pot I then realised when I saw hundreds of little sesame seedlings :pointlaug . still the experiment goes on I’ll just kill as many as I can.

They are now 3 weeks old and ive topped and LST’d many times and it shouldn’t be too long before I add the screen and flip the switch to 12/12. just gotta install that 150W HPS first.

The Pics:​

The Space:

The Mother:

The Cuttings:

The Clones Today:

I don’t think ive missed anything out and ive try to include all the pics I can of the mother, the rooting clones and during vegging up until present. Any questions…. Ask away!

:joint: Peace NG2k :joint:

Last edited:

NG2k

nope.... and apart from the second batch (due to having no dome) they all rooted fine and within 10 days.

Last edited:

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
ill be following this one mate!! i was like LOL reading about the little sesame sprouts hehehe.. good luck with your experiment man

peace

waydee

Looking beautiful! theres going to be a little forest in there soon :>

What sort of screen are you going to use in there?

G

Reading about the added sprouts made me laugh too. Interested to here about the plan though as i have hard water here and am using bio bizz.
Good luck with the grow!

NG2k

wamster buddy, thanks for dropping by... yeh the extra unwanted sprouts did make me feel a bit of a dope... i was concentrating soo hard on gettin the right ratio of all the nutrients that i forgot they mite germ! lol

waydee well i have got a metal grid from one of those cheap "greenhouses" you get in robert dyas. the spacing is about 40mm (1.6") apart which should be great, it will cover wall to wall and i might dip it in the middle to create a canopy that will mimick the lights "shape".

neil thanks for dropping by.... when i was vegging the mother plant i got a lot of macroelement deficiencies, particularly mg which epsom salts never seemed to fix so i looked for alternatives. will keep you posted ;)

peace
NG2k

Last edited:

NG2k

update!
well today i installed the 150W HPS i bought last week and fitted in the reflector. i found the reflector in a hydro shop for only £5 because one of the corners was broken. 2 bolts later and its as good as new! i am very lucky and very pleased, if i was designing my own reflector i couldnt have asked for a better fit! space is slightly limited here so that meant a great deal!

the unwanted sproutings have started to slow up although what i think was a mutated pumpkin seedling did break the surface 2 days ago but it was long gone! those seeds were definitely crushed up enough!

anyway.... heres some pictures of the new lamp. temps sticking at 27*C, if it gets any higher i will add some glass and make a cool tube (ish) arrangement.

Peace :joint:

Last edited:

mtnjohn

Veteran
hey NG2K, thats a nice clean setup...and very similar to my own

the 150hps is a nice light and i think you will do well with it
i'll be taking a seat for this one
mj

heres my setup

Last edited:

NG2k

looking grand john!
is that a 400W you got there? what strain is it?
thanks for stopping by....
peace :joint:

EDIT: i see it is you who has posted up the SCW how to scrog guide... a very informative source, read and re-read many times. R+

Last edited:

mtnjohn

Veteran
NG2k said:
looking grand john!
is that a 400W you got there? what strain is it?
thanks for stopping by....

thanks, haha no its a 150hps

c99 on the left and jlp's vbs x ak on the right
mj

NG2k

:jawdrop: your joking!!! :jawdrop:
ah.... i thought that was one plant.... what sort of yields per plant are you getting from a 150? sativa/indica?

mtnjohn

Veteran
i grow 4 at a time in my cab and do about 3 -3.75 oz per run
mj

...yes the scw article is awesome...
i have the "ultimate" scrog: advanced tactics article too
have you read that one?

Last edited:

NG2k

i have not read the "Ultimate scrog".... yet.
so you have 4 sativas under a 150. how much space do they get each? veg time? from clones or seeds? and get about 21g+ off each

Guvnor

Looking great in there mate :D Using your space very nicely.

Sorry Im abit late, but I'll follow along from here if thats alright?

All The Best
Guv'nah :wave:

NG2k

well i suppose it will be alright.... seeing as you do have an elephants memory i will let you follow along :wink:
thanks for stopping by guv

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Hey NG2K brotha, thanks for the heads up. This thread is now tagged!

Very nice setup and I can see you have gained alot of knowledge. Listen to mtnjohn, he knoweth the 150hps! <shoutout to mtnjohn!>

If the epsom salts aren't fixing your Mg defs, then you probably have nute lock due to ph issues...the nutrients are there in sufficient quantity, just aren't available for the plants to use.

Chlorinated water (tap water) will have a high ph (chlorine has a ph of 11!) Remember, each ph point up is 10 times the alkalinity as the point before (8 ph is 10 times more alkaline than 7 ph) This is why ph adjustments to your soil must be done very gradually in small steps to bring soil back to normal. Plants (aquarium fish, etc) do not like big ph swings...

The only way to tell is to collect the watering runoff from your pots and test that ph, then adjust your water/nute solution to the value that will counter your soil ph. If it is really out, adjust your water in small increments until you bring the soil back to normal, then when you adjust your water after that it should keep your soil ph good. Ph will change constantly (mostly drop) due to soil bacteria, nute combination, etc.

For example, if your soil is 8, and you want 6.8, your water/nute solution needs to be just lower than 8 the first time, then a little lower next watering and so on until your soil is at the target ph. Once you observe how your soil reacts, you will be able to keep the soil in the target zone everytime.

Using distilled water can clear up alot of issues with hardness, ph and so forth. For a few small plants it is easy to get distilled water from the shops to water with.

Also add some dolomite lime (as per bag instructions) to your soil mix to help buffer your ph.

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing your crop done!

Last edited:

NG2k

hey man... thanks for stopping by.

my mg defs, are due to having "hard water" full of calcium!!!
my ph is fine....... runoff is between 6.48 - 6.81 which is perfect. i am thinking of buying just general bottled water from the supermarkets to use, as they have less calcium in them and are readily available. i cant really get distilled water, only in 500ml bottles and thats not easy either.

yesterday i topped all the plants again for the last time and im giving one week recovery before adding in the screen and switching to 12/12.
Ng2k :joint:

mtnjohn

Veteran
NG2K...how are you bro??

i usually take cuts from my moms about the 3rd or 4th week of flower
once they root...i veg em under flouros and try to keep em small enough
till the flower plants are done

then i put em in my flower cab and veg for about 1 week depending on how the plants look before "flippin em" to 12/12
mj