Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Organic Soil > Backyard compost makers unite!!

Thread Title Search    
Click to see great products at Aqua Lab!
 Backyard compost makers unite!! Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
naga_sadu

naga_sadu is just really nicenaga_sadu is just really nicenaga_sadu is just really nicenaga_sadu is just really nice
Backyard compost makers unite!!

Any of you guys ever make your humus / compost using "backyard" waste and materials only (no purchased items)? Such as grass clippings, kitchen sink leftovers, egg shells, untreated wood ash etc? How do you prepare your compost drum?

If so, what's your recipe?

This topic is of special interest to me because backyard waste is often destined to landfills. Instead, they could be better utilised to enrich our personal gardens This way we can do ourselfs a favour as well as keep this rock a tad bit cleaner.

Hopefully, a large section of recipes from users will encourage others to do the same.

"....what CNN never dared to tell you." Thanx for the idea Vision of Shiva...

1. Corp watch: Please read and support!
2. Backyard compost makers unite!!
naga_sadu jest offline   Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
Guest423
Banned

Guest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant futureGuest423 has a brilliant future
nice, i have nothing to offer but i'm down to learn and unite, i'm planning on starting a compost this spring.

i've talked to a few peeps on here that have awesome recipes hopefully they chime in!
Guest423 jest offline   Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
Chiefsmokingbud
Slap-A-Ho tribe

Chiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud ofChiefsmokingbud has much to be proud of
I use bagged leaves ,(the unwaxy leaves) yard clippings, and grow waste. When starting a bin i just dump it all in, add about a shovel full of dirt (for the good bacteria), water till it's moist, and turn it every week.

Ps. You don't have to buy that powdered compost starter or activator as they call it. There's millions of the good bacteria in a shovel full of dirt to get you started.

~~~Big buds and MoNsTer colas~~~

Butane honey oil for dummies
~~Pain free hash making made easy~~
Chiefsmokingbud jest offline   Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
jaykush
dirty black hands

jaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond repute
ive done it many times, and love the way it turns out.

have used grass clippings, fruit/kitchen scraps, egg shells , coffee grounds, banana peels, leaves from around, fuck almost anything can go in there. the bigger the pile the better, small piles dont work nearly as fast i noticed. try to avoid pine needles if there around you as well.

i got some notes on composting ill look up too.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:13 AM   #5

I have been composting /worm farming for years... got a tumbling composter. Made it soo much easier. I mix it with chicken manure and used soil before tilling it into the soil or using it as a mulch around the garden. The only thing I don't compost is rose clippings or anything prone to PM. It will live in the compost and then be spread around. I put that out with yard waste.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 AM   #6
JackTheGrower

I used to collect bedding from a pet breeder. He was a wholesale guy so he made money on volume..
I made compost and he was delighted to provide me the materials. Saved him comploaints from the city.

He raised snakes so I got lots of wood shavings. He raised mice so I got a paper bedding product that was soaked with mouse pee. Bags and bags of it.

He packed mice in plastic tubs and stacked them high.. Hundereds of tubs..

I would bring 6 to 12 huge bags home twice a week.

My pile at one time was over 20 feet long and was turned with a roto-tiller.

Do I love composting? I do very much.

Anything I could add to the pile I did.

I know leaves don't break down but don't they pepper the pile with good smells?

Now I practice small space composting. I mean a very small space and it works.

Also soil recycling is just composting. I assume that humus is created year after year with a recycle program.
Also I figue it makes qucik work of root mass.

Hey I am wanting to add the stalks this time out... I'm thinking a chipper shredder to do the deed..

What do ya'll think?

Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 AM   #7

This is a good discussion....I hope you keep it up...LC

Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
the protege
Marijuana Connoisseur

the protege is on a distinguished road
Yes, keep this going. I am at a point where alot of these topics interest me. As you grow older, you feel more connected to the world, and therefore feel your responsibility to it and humanity that much greater!

Recipes of what to add/what not to add would be fantastic. Do any of you add rotten fruit? Apples, peaches, etc

Original Overgrower
the protege jest offline   Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Ganico

Ganico is a jewel in the roughGanico is a jewel in the roughGanico is a jewel in the roughGanico is a jewel in the rough
I'm gonna make a compost pile with the following ingredients

Mainly kudzu for the "greens", as well as some yard clippings

For the "browns", dried kudzu and mulched sticks and fallen branches (also, use the sticks and wood for ash)

I'm also gonna start a worm bin for castings and fish bait

I'll throw the fish guts and scales from the fish I catch with the worms into the compost pile, as well as let the bones dry and grind them into meal in a coffee grinder

I can get plenty potato peels and lettuce from a local restaraunt a friend works at, i guess those will go in the worm bin as well as my own kitchen waste.

Periodically, I plan to take out half the worms and castings and add the castings to the compost pile
Ganico jest offline   Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Vash
Ol' Skool

Vash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivorVash is a survivor
I started my compost pile in October of last year. I built the first one out of 2 x 4. It's roughly 4' x 4'. I put grass clippings, leaves( i run them under my lawn mower first before adding to the compost pile), tree branches(run those over with the mower too), straw, and shavings from a tree that was cut down in my yard. i also have a very good friend that works in the cafeteria where I work. He provides me with celery, lettuce, carrots, pineapples, coffee grounds, egg shells, and anything else that you can think of that a cafeteria would carry. Next door to the cafeteria is a snack bar. There I can pick up coffee grounds on a daily basis. You now have an idea what my compost pile consists of. When the pile gets too dry, I wet it down with rain water since i have a rain barrel that I constructed. I also have a compost temperature probe that tells me how warm that pile is. I usually turned it once a week, but that's not necessary to turn it that frequently. I shut it down the last of December and now it looks like it might be ready by spring.
glad this thread was started. Great idea, naga_sadu
Vash jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:17 AM   #11
bongasaurus
king of the dinosaurs

bongasaurus is a splendid one to beholdbongasaurus is a splendid one to beholdbongasaurus is a splendid one to beholdbongasaurus is a splendid one to beholdbongasaurus is a splendid one to beholdbongasaurus is a splendid one to behold
weird. first thread ive seen sorta on composting. glad to see it

ive got 2 at the side of the house. one for adding to and one for taking from. the main thing that goes into them is grass clippings from the mower and leaves in the fall. but otherwise as mentiioned before, seems to love coffee grinds daily. toss the filter in and all. tea bags too/ throw in whatever kitchen waste you get too. bannana peels, apple cores, potato skins... you name it. just not meat. apparently egg shells are real good for calcium too but your supposed to rinse em out first. really cuts down on garbage too. especially if you recycle. pretty low maintnace really for what ya get. just water it and turn it occasionaly and voila. beautil compost at your disposal for additives, tea or whatever ya want

another line in the field of time

i got a window washers eye for an untuckable sky

Let it grow, let it grow,
Let it blossom, let it flow.
In the sun and in the snow
bongasaurus jest offline   Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
naga_sadu

naga_sadu is just really nicenaga_sadu is just really nicenaga_sadu is just really nicenaga_sadu is just really nice
Thanks for all the replies!!! Hope we can keep the thread up!

Just wondering tho, what ratio of brown: green matter do you use?

"....what CNN never dared to tell you." Thanx for the idea Vision of Shiva...

1. Corp watch: Please read and support!
2. Backyard compost makers unite!!
naga_sadu jest offline   Quote

Old 01-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #13

Gday composters, I have just started on a 2nd heap.
I use most of whats been mentioned which is all my green waste from around the yard and kitchen, fish carcass to tea bags, lawn clippings to newspaper. I collect most of my households urine, store it and water it down with rain water. I then water this in. Also after I've run some veg on a patch I like to rejuvenate it by growing some alfalfa and comfrey which i then put into my heap. Lastly winter time gets my fire burning so all the ash left goes in.

Heaps are always teaming with life which is what you want.

naga sadu I think a ratio of about 30:1 green to brown is what you want

Last edited by twenty47red-i; 01-31-2007 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
JackTheGrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by the protege
Yes, keep this going. I am at a point where alot of these topics interest me. As you grow older, you feel more connected to the world,
Yep it's called gravity and pulls on everything LOL

I know what you mean!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
jaykush
dirty black hands

jaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond reputejaykush has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Recipes of what to add/what not to add would be fantastic. Do any of you add rotten fruit? Apples, peaches, etc
rotten fruit is a great source of food for the fungi. I have thrown peaches, and a few others in there whatever doesn't make it into a smoothie.

Quote:
naga sadu I think a ratio of about 30:1 green to brown is what you want
30:1 (carbon:nitrogen) is right.