What's new

Stonerrock&metal music thread

G

I'm starting this thread to talk to others about my favorite musics; Stonerrock and metal. I have been listening to extreme music since I was in highschool and have always been very active in the scene.When I started listening to metal the scene was still very new, Nobody had heard of bands like Metallica and Nirvana yet, so you really had the sense you were into something brand new. It was really funny too..because everybody were in such an uproar about people like Ozzy and Alice Cooper, and I would laugh, because if you ever listened to Slayer, as far as offensive lyrics there's no comparison. Out of highschool that's when the metal scene exploded bringing bands like Pantera and Sepultura (not to mention TOOL -one of my alltime fav. bands)to the forefront.I want everyone else at Icmag who digs stonerrock and metal ..come forth and speak! Tell us about good bands in the scene, and lets talk METAL!!(and Stonnerrock). Local scene is cool too!!
Concert stories ...anything.
Bands:

Tool
High on Fire
Mastodon
Electric Wizard
Ramesses
GodFlesh(My #1 favorite band of all times)
Wolfmother
Q.O.T.S.A
DeathBreath
Regurgitate
Necrophagia
Melvins
Leng t'che
Cianide(great old school band from chicago)
Usurper
well that gives you an idea of what I like ,but is in no way everything.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hola witchking, as a music lover, i definetly love a few metal bands for sure. sepultura is very loved, arise and beneath the remains are sound records of true works of art :D
another recording i really like is by suffocation, an album called pierced from within, the sound in that lp is still unmatched to this day imho. this is a 'must' for any serious metal heads out there. :D
pantera is good for sure, vulgar display and strength beyond strength are excellent!

how about the unplugged album and dirt by alice in chains? perhaps one of the best rock bands of the u.s. blind melon is good too!

old metallica is very good, i like it until and justice for all, the black album sucks and everything else that came afterwards.

i still have some iron maiden vynils :D the number the beast, powerslave, fear of the dark. although maiden was never a favorite, but it has some good stuff.

i used to own a few cds by slayer, someone gifted them to me, but i dunno... the music was ok, but the singer is wack imho.

tool has pretty good tunes, also enjoy some of perfect circle's songs.

ever listened to messhuggah? they have a couple of kick ass albums, one is an ep called 'none' and the other an lp called destroy erase improve.

much peace and light!

edit: how could i forget death! individual thoughts patterns is a master piece :joint:

Last edited:

patchman4062

I love me some metal. Some of my favorite bands are slayer, lamb of god, pantera, danzig, melvins, superjoint ritual, sepultua, and many others that I can't think of right now because I just smoked a fattie. I'm really into the hillbilly metal too. Hank Williams III kicks major ass.

Patch

G

PazVerdeRadical said:
hola witchking, as a music lover, i definetly love a few metal bands for sure. sepultura is very loved, arise and beneath the remains are sound records of true works of art :D
another recording i really like is by suffocation, an album called pierced from within, the sound in that lp is still unmatched to this day imho. this is a 'must' for any serious metal heads out there. :D
pantera is good for sure, vulgar display and strength beyond strength are excellent!

how about the unplugged album and dirt by alice in chains? perhaps one of the best rock bands of the u.s. blind melon is good too!

old metallica is very good, i like it until and justice for all, the black album sucks and everything else that came afterwards.

i still have some iron maiden vynils :D the number the beast, powerslave, fear of the dark. although maiden was never a favorite, but it has some good stuff.

i used to own a few cds by slayer, someone gifted them to me, but i dunno... the music was ok, but the singer is wack imho.

tool has pretty good tunes, also enjoy some of perfect circle's songs.

ever listened to messhuggah? they have a couple of kick ass albums, one is an ep called 'none' and the other an lp called destroy erase improve.

much peace and light!

Hey Paz...
Actually I do own one Messhuggah album, "none"I do like it. I didn't know this but apperantly Tool listen to alot of Messhuggah, and they claim it as the heaviest influence on their newest album.I love all the old school shit...Old Metallica,... I remeber something funny;Rolling Stone magizine ripping Nirvanas first album to shreads, saying they would never amount to anything...Kinda funny eh?I forgot about iron madien, I used to listen to alot of Madien in the 80's.I love Alice in Chains. "Dirt" is still one of my favorite albums(I think I literally wore the CD I had right out).I have that Suffocation album and you are right..it is a must own. I own every Pantera album,What a crying shame what eventually happened to them...Phil Anselmo had a drug problem from hell , and then the shooting of Dimebag (RIP) that was fucked up shit.
I don't know if you followed any of Phil's side bands like Down(Highly recommend the first album) and Superjoint ritual. He actually played guitar for a band called Necrophagia , and as it turned out he is an excellent gutatarists creating some of the heaviest riffs I've ever heard.Well hey good talking to ya. :joint:

G

patchman4062 said:
I love me some metal. Some of my favorite bands are slayer, lamb of god, pantera, danzig, melvins, superjoint ritual, sepultua, and many others that I can't think of right now because I just smoked a fattie. I'm really into the hillbilly metal too. Hank Williams III kicks major ass.

Patch
Haha, I hear ya dude!
Hank williams III plays bass for Super joint Ritual.
Have you heard the new Melvins" Senile Animal"? If not I highly recommend it,I think it's the best melvins album since "Stoner Witch".

G

You know it kinda wierd , Metal and heavy music sounds sssoooo good when your high. I do occasionaly like something mellow like Beck(I love Becks music) but most time I go for the heavy shit when I'm stoned. TOOL sound great when high. My favorite band Godflesh is incredible to listen to when high.My mind goes nuts when I'm listening to Godflesh,we used to take a godflesh album with us when we were planning on trippin out on acid ,but they are almost alittle too heavy and scary when you're trippin.If you are into heavy music and never heard Godflesh, do yourself a favor and try it out ,with the exception of a few albums(where they kinda dicked around with their sound) I LOVE every Godflesh album and most of them for diffrent reasons.Very good stuff.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
WitchKing said:
Hey Paz...
Actually I do own one Messhuggah album, "none"I do like it. I didn't know this but apperantly Tool listen to alot of Messhuggah, and they claim it as the heaviest influence on their newest album.I love all the old school shit...Old Metallica,... I remeber something funny;Rolling Stone magizine ripping Nirvanas first album to shreads, saying they would never amount to anything...Kinda funny eh?I forgot about iron madien, I used to listen to alot of Madien in the 80's.I love Alice in Chains. "Dirt" is still one of my favorite albums(I think I literally wore the CD I had right out).I have that Suffocation album and you are right..it is a must own. I own every Pantera album,What a crying shame what eventually happened to them...Phil Anselmo had a drug problem from hell , and then the shooting of Dimebag (RIP) that was fucked up shit.
I don't know if you followed any of Phil's side bands like Down(Highly recommend the first album) and Superjoint ritual. He actually played guitar for a band called Necrophagia , and as it turned out he is an excellent gutatarists creating some of the heaviest riffs I've ever heard.Well hey good talking to ya. :joint:

greetings witchking :)

i have the nola album by down, very good. although i heard newer stuff and it was not too good imo. i'll check out superjoint ritual for sure, thanks, any other recommendations? like new bands that can kick serious ass? i need new music to my collection, always!
peace!

edit: what godflesh album do u recommend?

Last edited:

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
i would have to agree with you patchman... great bands... saw hank III last year, great show.

for me i am a die hard Pantera fan... dimebag made the electric guitar sing.

damageplan
acid bath
slayer
hatebreed
mudvayne
superjoint ritual
Down
Lamb of God
Some new bands that have some great sound iv been listening to include:

killswitch engage
shadows fall
all that remains
as i lay dying

some great double bass and guitar harmony^^

black label society
faith no more
seemless
stonesour
stone temple pilots

Some of the groups i listen to regularly. some great music.. the bottom listings arent really metal bands but some great music.. i love hard hitting double bass with some good subs. anyone who enjoys great guitar and drums should check any of the bands you dont have from that list. Peace, Dime

G

I have been listening to metal for a few years now. some good bands everyone :yes:
here are a couple of bands I've been listening to.

Arcturus
Ayreon (The Human Equation album)
Dog Fashion Disco
Faith No More
Opeth
unXpect

G

PazVerdeRadical said:
greetings witchking :)

i have the nola album by down, very good. although i heard newer stuff and it was not too good imo. i'll check out superjoint ritual for sure, thanks, any other recommendations? like new bands that can kick serious ass? i need new music to my collection, always!
peace!

edit: what godflesh album do u recommend?

Yeah I didn't care much for the newer Down stuff either.NOLA is the essential Down album. I would recommend Super joint Ritual "Use once and the destroy" that's probably the better of the two albums they've done.If you want to straight up rock the fuck out, checkout Wolfmother, from Australia I've turned many people on to them.Godflesh is a very unique band , and for a two piece(yep only two band members) you will be surprised how thick and heavy there sound is. My recommendation for Godflesh is a hard one because I like them all for diffrent reasons(each godflesh album sounds a little diffrent than the last , so you never really get bored with them ,but they all have what you will come to know as the Godflesh sound), If I had to recommend one to a first time listener I'de probably recommend their second album
"Streetcleaner" or another really good one is"Selfless"or even "Pure" ,all three are very good and convey I think the true Godflesh sound, but if you dig these try out their other ones ,because each one holds many pleasant surprises for the listener , and definently get stoned before you pop that fucker in , because i think it adds to the experience.The lead singer/gutarist said once that his favorite thing to do was to get really High and use the extreme parinoia he felt to write his songs.Be prepared however because these songs have no hint of humor or cheesiness to them, just downright heavy and bleak.Very heavy and bleak.

G

DimeBag65 said:
i would have to agree with you patchman... great bands... saw hank III last year, great show.

for me i am a die hard Pantera fan... dimebag made the electric guitar sing.

damageplan
acid bath
slayer
hatebreed
mudvayne
superjoint ritual
Down
Lamb of God
Some new bands that have some great sound iv been listening to include:

killswitch engage
shadows fall
all that remains
as i lay dying

some great double bass and guitar harmony^^

black label society
faith no more
seemless
stonesour
stone temple pilots

Some of the groups i listen to regularly. some great music.. the bottom listings arent really metal bands but some great music.. i love hard hitting double bass with some good subs. anyone who enjoys great guitar and drums should check any of the bands you dont have from that list. Peace, Dime

Unfortunatly, I was too late for Damage plan, by the time I even heard of them, Dimebag was already dead :badday: .
I used to listen to Acid Bath ,I think I still have the two full length's they put out.
Dude, Hatebreed is fucking great. Jamie Jasta has got to have one of the most vicious voices in metal/hardcore.
I still actually enjoy listening to Stone Temple Pilots!
I was waiting for ya to show up Dimebag....

G

Rat Fink said:
I have been listening to metal for a few years now. some good bands everyone :yes:
here are a couple of bands I've been listening to.

Arcturus
Ayreon (The Human Equation album)
Dog Fashion Disco
Faith No More
Opeth
unXpect

out of those Opeth is the only one I've heard. Very respected band in the scene. well I've heard Faith no More ,but never really listened to them.
I've heard of Arcturus, but never heard them.

G

never listened to Faith No More? what a sheltered life. :wink: Angel Dust and The Real Thing are essential albums imo.

Im going to check out godflesh, Ill start with streetcleaner I suppose.
Is Jesu any good, its the guy from Godflesh am I right?

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
You can catch the Faith No More Gutarist playing for Sparks now days.

I know I know who's Sparks?

Sin

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
already downloaded superjoint ritual and godflesh, interesting music, specially godflesh, since superjoint sounded a lot more typical...

going through my music collection, found another amazing band, only released two albums to my knowledge, their first is good which is called 'slaughter in the vatican' and the second one is kick ass and it is called 'the law' the band is called exhorder, ever heard?

another album worth mentioning is secret of the runes by therion!

paz

Last edited:
G

Rat Fink said:
never listened to Faith No More? what a sheltered life. :wink: Angel Dust and The Real Thing are essential albums imo.

Im going to check out godflesh, Ill start with streetcleaner I suppose.
Is Jesu any good, its the guy from Godflesh am I right?

Jesu has elements of godflesh , but not quite the same feel. Godflesh is cold ,bleak and heavy.Jesu on the other hand is lighter,more positive and hopeful feel to it.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Im in to danzig, tool, pantera, damageplan...couple of songs from Dimmu Borgir.. But the whole death and black metal scene is too geeky and D&D for me its sad...What are they supposed to be ? Evil ? Evil lives and dies with danzig..no one else can sell it like he does.
end rant..

Hatebreed is good..for a while...They suck lyrically IMO but i do like their hardcore music..They got their name from a misfits song if im not mistaken..so i can dig the whole violence thing. Its the right wing side im not too keen on..

Oh and how is godflesh cold ? It's anger music..you know like a dog barking on a chain..thats not cold..thats stupid. Cold is when you are a good little puppy and bite your masters nuts off when he comes too near :D (i might be too obsessed with lyrics)

j/k..

Last edited:
G

PazVerdeRadical said:
already downloaded superjoint ritual and godflesh, interesting music, specially godflesh, since superjoint sounded a lot more typical...

going through my music collection, found another amazing band, only released two albums to my knowledge, their first is good which is called 'slaughter in the vatican' and the second one is kick ass and it is called 'the law' the band is called exhorder, ever heard?

another album worth mentioning is secret of the runes by therion!

paz

Godflesh is anything but typical...which is why I think I continue to like them to this day. I've been a fan since 88. .It isn't till you pop it in when your nice and high and in the right mood, when you'll really feel Godflesh's music swirling around you like a phantom.LOL I have heard of Exhorder , but never heard a single tune, but they are one band that has always interested me, I'll check em' out..kinda old school if I remember right. Therion's pretty cool, I've heard a few of their tunes, both songs sounded pretty cool.