What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using Fresh Plant Material?????

ilife

Why do people think using fresh or frozen fresh plant material is best for hash extraction??
In my experiences using fresh or frozen fresh plant material always made a lesser quality water extraction compared to using plant material that had been dried properly like the buds it came from. I would rather not even freeze the dried plant material before making a hash extraction. For this only causes the plant material to become more brittle especially the plant material that is not covered in resin. Causing more contamination in the final product.
Fresh resin on the plant needs to be dried before being extracted. Otherwise you will have a crumbly resin, not a good sign of quality resin. Quality resin should smear into a sticky piece of hash.
For example, hand rubbed resin. If you make a clean piece of hand rubbed resin from fresh plants and stick it in a sealed bag for a night, you would see droplets of water on the surface of the bag in the morning from the fresh resin. This is why fresh hand rubbed resin has to be hand pressed for at least 30 mins. to kneed all the water out of it and to make a seal on the outside to protect the inside from getting air and causing it to mold.

Now remember the most sought after resin is in powder form. For this is the most cleanest and best burning type of resin you can find. You can always press a small piece of hash from resin powder, if you desire.

iLiFE

G

in my experience it never really comes out gooey and doesnt bubble when u use dry stuff

ilife

Over Dry Plant Material

Over Dry Plant Material

This could be because the resin is over dry on the plant, or the resin on the plant was not finished before harvested.
When drying resin on plant material to be extracted for hash you want to dry it like the buds you are drying. Remember you would not want to smoke buds that are really old and dry. They are really old and dry because all the resin on the bud has dried.
When this happens you can add a couple of drops of water back to your dry resin powder to help press it together. After it has been extracted and dried. This is a lot better than adding oil to it.

iLiFE

acidfire

ilife said:
...In my experiences using fresh or frozen fresh plant material always made a lesser quality water extraction compared to using plant material that had been dried properly like the buds it came from. I would rather not even freeze the dried plant material before making a hash extraction. For this only causes the plant material to become more brittle...

In my experiences i've found the exact opposite.
Freshly frozen material makes higher quality hash.

(and no it wasnt 'overdry')

ilife

acidfire said:
In my experiences i've found the exact opposite.
Freshly frozen material makes higher quality hash.

(and no it wasnt 'overdry')

Here is also a quote from Ask ED: Marijuana Gold Trash to Stash pg. 47.
" The cold weather freezes the dry leaves and trim, making the connections between the bulbous glands and the tiny hair-like cilia brittle and easily, it was believed that less vegetative material ended up in the kief. It is true that the brittleness makes the glands break loose easily, but it can also make the trim and leaves more delicate, allowing finely ground plant material to sift through."

From my 500+ runs at washing THC from plant material using the Ice-water extraction method I believe the above is 100% true when trying to make the most pure water hash, that can be stored for as long as you want.

iLiFE

G

so what Ed is saying, is that dried trim is bad, and that with wet trim, you wont end up with plant particles in your hash.

Last edited:

ilife

Quote from ED Trash to Stash Pg. 47.

" Kief from decent quality can actually be made in all weather conditions. To make Kief of the finest caliber, cool temperatures, around 60 degrees F or lower, are best. Low to moderate humidity is ok, and the presence of a little humidity is even welcome if the material is particularly dry."

No he is not saying use wet trim.

iLiFE

G

um, yeah, ok, fine dude. u wont convince anyone whos actually done it, im all done here, have a nice day! :joint:

Last edited:
G

haha got a PM from Ilife saying that i sound like i look on my avatar!! haha, awesome. guess what ilife? couldnt give 2 shits! u are sad.

GZA

my trim never makes it to dry befor its hashed and it always turns out great, 5-6-7 bag all bubble

GZA

ilife said:
This could be because the resin is over dry on the plant, or the resin on the plant was not finished before harvested.
When drying resin on plant material to be extracted for hash you want to dry it like the buds you are drying. Remember you would not want to smoke buds that are really old and dry. They are really old and dry because all the resin on the bud has dried.
When this happens you can add a couple of drops of water back to your dry resin powder to help press it together. After it has been extracted and dried. This is a lot better than adding oil to it.

iLiFE

go ahead and add water to your keif...maybe it will grow :pointlaug

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
fresh frozen trim will break up a lot less than dry trim. meaning you get less contaminants in the bubble even if it is brittle when frozen, as soon as you add it to the water it is no longer frozen in the same brittle way.

kief is one thing and bubble is another.

even that will guy realized that water extractions are best done with fresh material. the reason we freeze it is to keep it fresh and so the water stays cold when you add it. how else will you keep fresh material till you are ready to make bubble.

i certainly know which bubble came out fmcd and it was never with dry trim so far.

peace out :wave:

ilife

Dry sieving and Ice-cold water extraction are a different process. But preparing you plant material for extraction is the same process. Your resin needs to dry before it is extracted.

Another Quote this from the book HASHISH!:

Immediately after harvest, before the plants begin to wilt, all large and small leaves (which have minimal resin glands) are snipped from the flowering branches carefully so that there is no dislodging of the resin glands from the small leaflets and flowers. The trimmed branches are quickly and throughly dried at low temperatures for five to seven days in a dust-free environment with clean air circulating. Rapid drying promotes the uneven drying of flowers so that the resin glands on flower surfaces become dry enough to fall of easily enough when vibrated, but the plant tissue does not become so dry that it crumbles when processed. This facilitates the clean removal of resin glands while avoiding inclusion of pulverized plant debris. The resin glands have not had time to age, so they are very fresh, soft, and ripe, with most of the volatile aromatic terpernoids remaining.

This works also with Ice-cold water extraction. Especially if you do not leave your resin in the water for a long period of time.
As far as people thinking there percentages are higher using fresh frozen trim, they are wrong.

When extracting resin the 1st goal is to have the most intact resin glands with minimal contamination.
2nd goal is to be able to store your resin for long periods of time with out any negative effects, such as mold.

iLiFE

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
ilife your point is not coming across clear.

"This facilitates the clean removal of resin glands while avoiding inclusion of pulverized plant debris. The resin glands have not had time to age, so they are very fresh, soft, and ripe, with most of the volatile aromatic terpernoids remaining. "

Freezing your trim fresh accomplishes exactly that, only better.
Your resin does NOT need to be dry 1st before it is extracted.
Plenty of us extract our resin from fresh frozen trim, and the hash works very well thank-you.
I 'm glad you enjoy what you make....

'Why do people think using fresh or frozen fresh plant material is best for hash extraction??'
Because thats what many of our experiences has shown us. what is one person's best may not be the next person's best. For some quantity is the best, for some it's quality, for some its the flavour. there are many best's depending on personal preferences

'As far as people thinking there percentages are higher using fresh frozen trim, they are wrong. '
which percentages? yield, quality, flavour ???

2nd goal is to be able to store your resin for long periods of time with out any negative effects, such as mold.

I dont have a goal of storing my resin for as long as possible.
my goal is much closer to, lets get high with this wonderful hash.
as long as you let the hash dry long enough (properly) after the water extraction process you wont have any mold worries.

Last edited:

Random00

Hello, everybody:

I did a run with fresh frozen trim in certain ocassion, just to prove myself it makes no sense. Unless I was in a hurry, I would never use fresh plant material again.

Greetings,
Random

D

DJ_highst_

Its all about wet, frozen buds for the best CWH. When I use fresh trim, I get hash so sticky and gooey, that I have trouble collecting from the bags. I usually have to freeze it and break it off the bottom of the bags. fresh buds all the way. peace_highst

ilife

trichomefarmer said:
ilife your point is not coming across clear.

"This facilitates the clean removal of resin glands while avoiding inclusion of pulverized plant debris. The resin glands have not had time to age, so they are very fresh, soft, and ripe, with most of the volatile aromatic terpernoids remaining. "

Freezing your trim fresh accomplishes exactly that, only better.
Your resin does NOT need to be dry 1st before it is extracted.
Plenty of us extract our resin from fresh frozen trim, and the hash works very well thank-you.
I 'm glad you enjoy what you make....

So you are saying that people should use fresh frozen trim to also make dry sieved hash??

iLiFE

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
no only for bubble hash.

kiefing is a whole other story.

but with bubble hash the most taste and quality is achieved with fresh material. in fact you can't compare the taste of fresh material bubble with dry material bubble of the same strain. as soon as the trichomes and leaves are dry more of the terps become water soluble with most strains. also the longer you leave it in the water, of course the more flavor will be lost. one of the reasons the bubblelator makes such good bubble is because you skip the settling period. that's my 2 cents on this topic. but trichomefarmer hit the nail on the head when he said the best is different for all of us. some want the most some want the strongest and some want some thing in the middle. the best yields will certainly be achieved with dry material. once the resin is properly dry anyway. but the best quality bubble hash will always be made from the fresh material.:joint:

G

ilife - So when you prepare your trim for extraction you dry it along with your buds for like 5-7 days? This interests me. My question is does it have to go into jars for a curing process also, or is it ready to enter the bags right after the drying period.

Seems like when people hear "dry trim" they assume it is all brown and shriveled. Though I could be wrong.

Although on the bubblebag site it does say to use fresh frozen trim. But I am definatley all ears for new methods and especially from someone as experienced as ilife.

Random00

Hello, again:

The best is just the best, and if you want the best, you will need to realize the full potencial in every case: best yield with best presence, flavour and effect; all at the same time. Of course, the best is relative in the sense that we are talking about an unique product, so the ratios will vary accordingly, and comparisons can be made. Then, a superior grade might be selected.

All that said, I did my test run with fresh frozen plant matter and the taste was just fresh; the yield was low; and the effect was poor. Obviously, I would add, for the resin was crude.

There are two main ways for the cannabinoids to be activated: one is decarboxylation, and the other is oxidation. When ripe plants are hand rubbed, the resin glands are broken so their contents are exposed to air, and world famous charas is produced at the moment. However, if gland heads are to be extracted intact (either using dry or wet methods) the only way to go is decarboxylation, which happens during the drying process.

There is an old saying about selection: "From the good, the best; and from the best, the superior". That's the way.

Thanks for reading,
Random