What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thermostat Controlled Outlets

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
:wave: ok guys this is a simple DIY thread for controlling a couple outlets by thermostat. you simply plug it in and plug your fans into it and once its set, you can leave it alone. parts were under $30, labors was free :pointlaug

parts list:

Master Flow model PT6 thermostat from home depot
Extension Cord or UL Approved Wire (14/2)
Metal Box
Grounded Receptacles
Face Plate
Male Extension cord end(if you extension cord/wire doesnt have an end)
2x Plastic NM Connector 3/8"-1/2"(only one in pic)

first remove the cover on the thermostat and run you wire though the hole. i use Plastic NM Connectors to hold the wire securely in the housing. Plastic NM Connectors insert from the inside. the thermostat comes with one in the bottom but my wire was loose in it.

next make you connections. i use crimp type connections for a secure tight connection. since this is the lead for the thermostat and i want to be able to mount it near the plant level, i will use 10' of 14/2 wire here. it will be used as a switch wire so polarity is not an issue. ground the green to the housing and make your other connections.

then i cut a 28" piece of 14/2 and put it with the loose end of the 10' piece through a knockout in the receptacle box. fit them both into the Plastic NM Connector.

heres where you really have to pay attention. :bat:
you want to ground both green wires to the back of the receptacle on the green screw. next take the black wire from the short and the white wire of the long and connect together. then you take the white wire from the short lead and connect it to the silver side of the recptacles and black from long and connect it the brass side of the receptacle. this insures polarity at all connections.

if you have a male end on the short remaining wire, skip this step. if not, add your end and make sure to polarize your white/silver, black/brass and green/ground in the plug.

with this setup i can plug my fans into these outlets and plug this into power. i take the 10' extended thermostat and place at plant level in my room and set it with a screwdriver to the desired temp. the outlets will recieve power once the room reaches the set temp and will remain on until it cools 7~8 deg from there before switching off.

Last edited:

The Dopest

Veteran
hiya Pontiac, good to see ya stop by and to bring the approval stamp makes me want to see what else i can tear up :D

Budweiser13

Awsome man thank you. I am not sure if most people know but these types of tutorials can be logged using microsoft word. You can copy and paste the words and pictures in the order that the tutorial was written up as, Thats what I do.

G

TD.........Absolute shit diggity my buddy.......You dont know how much I appreciate this as I need to control 4 different 6" vortex`s intake and exhaust in 2 rooms and 2 of these setups will save me huge bucks....... Plus I hate buyin shit online with the paper trail,.....You know!......Anyways ....Thanx dewd and PEACE.........DHF......... :sasmokin:

The Dopest

Veteran
ok somehow i had the right pics in the turoial and now they are gone. i dont have any copies of the 3 pics that were replaced either. any one have those 3 pics please post up. idk wtf happened but this sux!

Wow, that's extremely weird, because I found online only 4 days ago that it was black-silver and white-brass. I hooked up a light fixture in my closet this way, and all is well. Is it not important with CFL lighting in a standard fixture to get polarity right? That sounds weird to me, but I'm not an electrician. Thanks for the scan and help!

The Dopest

Veteran
Stonewall, 120volt 20amp 60hz and its UL listed.

stealthpackage, polarization doesnt stop the outlet from working, just makes it unsafe.

G

Only reference's I was able to find online for the PT-6 say 4.4 amps???

Last edited:

The Dopest

Veteran
Redux said:
Only reference's I was able to find online for the PT-6 say 4.4 amps???

it said 20 amp on the package it came in. on the side of the thermostat is says "fans not rated more than VAC-60hz-4.4FLA so im not sure now. but i know it said 20amp on the package it came in. if someone has the original 3 pics that diappeared we would be able to see the package.

thanks Mushu!

The Dopest

Veteran
The Dopest said:
ok somehow i had the right pics in the turoial and now they are gone. i dont have any copies of the 3 pics that were replaced either. any one have those 3 pics please post up. idk wtf happened but this sux!

yeah Pontiac ^?