Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

Thread Title Search    
Find out more about Green Gator Filters
 Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever! Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2006, 04:52 AM   #16
goldfronts

goldfronts is on a distinguished road
is it possible to push through a home made scrubber like that with a filter on the other side of the carbon too.

Can you reverse the panasonic fans direction?

big up. Nice set up, I think I am going to give it a try.

what are the dimensions of the fan?
goldfronts jest offline   Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 07:03 AM   #17
green goose

green goose is on a distinguished road
good post, i am struggling with the mini jet engine now. i wonder how many cfm's of whisper fan it would take to cool a 430 hps in a 4x2x6 cab? and would the larger cfm whisper fans still be quiet enough for a bedroom grow? oh yeah thats a big plant 2 green thumbs up.
green goose jest offline   Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #18
Bulénath
Defending Hawai'i (against Cali Import)

Bulénath is a jewel in the roughBulénath is a jewel in the roughBulénath is a jewel in the rough
Goldfronts,

The fan's exhaust/intake is not reversable. In other words you can't make it pull air through the 4" duct.

I suppose you could push air through a scrubber using the 4". However this would be inefficient for one reason:

Negative pressure is always more efficent and more powerful than positive pressure.
This is a simple law of physics. Same concept goes for a "passive intake".

Now in cases where someone has an extremely powerful fan, (like an Inline, squirel cage fan, or blower) the fan is usually extremely loud, then I can see why someone would want to "push" the air through a scrubber: Becuase "pushing" air through a scrubber will tax it's CFM greater than "pulling", therefor the fan runs quieter *due to efficiency loss.*

Over all its always more efficent to use the laws of nature and just create a negative pressure which is constantly being replaced...Opposed to trying to remove the air by pushing it out. Remember: Passive Intake-
*the scrubber uses the same concpet*

The dimensions and specifications for each fan is linked on the last page aswell. Here is the same link:

http://www.rewci.com/panceilexfan.html

Green Goose,
Take a look at the link above. They have many models for each line of fans. The line I am using goes up to 380cfm. There are many who grow with a 400-430 watt HID, take a look at the size they are using, im sure the link will provide the panasonic equivilent. If a single fan is too loud, then why not use two quieter fans that add up to the same CFM? If I was growing with a 430HPS in my bedroom, I would probably buy 3-4 whisper fans at a very very low CFM, opposed to one large, noisy whisper fan. Either way, the amount you pay $ for CFM is almost the same when purchasing a single large Vortex with large can filter, or multiple whisperfans with cheap DIY scrubbers. Perhaps you spend a *tad* bit more, but hey, imagine a 430 watt stealth cabinet feet from your bed! No Hydro Store sells that kind of technology yet!

Medical Marijuana patient

[ (G13 x Molokai) x Ducksfoot ] aka Nuclear Cloud X (Burmeese Pure x Oregon 90) aka Sugabears OB1
= TROPICAL RAINBOW

Last edited by Bulénath; 12-24-2006 at 01:50 AM..
Bulénath jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #19
green goose

bulenath thanks for the response. i will keep tweeking things until i get it right.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #20
badgr
Midnight Rider

badgr will become famous soon enough
Bulénath;
I don't know if I just misread your previous post but I'm going to have to say your description of passive is not quite right.
In my oppenion a passive cooling system works as follows,
you pull the air through the intakes and you don't usually have any intake fans just vents, b/c intake fans may actually screw up the cfms of the fan you are using to pull. Passive means air is sealed and can only come in through the intakes and you don't need to worry about smell leaking out b/c all of the air that could escape is not allowed to b/c it is getting sucked into all of the small holes and leaks. I don't know if you have seen the NGB setup from overgrow but he use's the exact setup i'm speaking of. I love this thread man. Keep it up.
400w Stealth Cab
badgr jest offline   Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 10:55 PM   #21
Ratweed

Ratweed is on a distinguished road
very nice find man, Im kinda in the same situation u were in. I will be checkin that out
Ratweed jest offline   Quote

Old 12-24-2006, 01:44 AM   #22
Bulénath

Bulénath is a jewel in the roughBulénath is a jewel in the roughBulénath is a jewel in the rough
Yes badgr that is exactly what I mean! lol take another look at the post above, might have been that tasty weed in your gallery!

Its about "pulling" the air through this particuar scrubber, opposed to "pushing" the air through the scrubber! Same concept for a passive intake! I appreciate the kind words and help man! Much thanks!

[ (G13 x Molokai) x Ducksfoot ] aka Nuclear Cloud X (Burmeese Pure x Oregon 90) aka Sugabears OB1
= TROPICAL RAINBOW

Last edited by Bulénath; 12-24-2006 at 01:48 AM..

Old 12-24-2006, 02:48 AM   #23
goldfronts

Thanks for the explanation bulenath. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for that link also, I hit it up the first time I read this thread on the first page, but I seemed to overlook the specs part.

I just purchased a panasonic inline fan, the 240cfm model from the thread you posted. I will post up in this thread with my opinion of the fan once I get it running, but I have nothing to compare it to since this will be my first, and hopefully, last fan purchase. I am planning on pulling through a scrubber and then out the back of my cab.

I am really looking for something that is going to be real quiet, so I think this will do the trick.

Thanks Again!Goldfronts

Last edited by goldfronts; 12-24-2006 at 02:49 AM..

Old 12-24-2006, 04:15 AM   #24
Bulénath

Awsome goldfronts! Congrats!

I was looking through for the 240 model, and noticed you went with the galvanized steel ventilation fan. This "steel" fan looks much different than the other lines.

So i took a look at the specifications..

The thing is set up like an inline fan! Holy shit I didnt even notice they made a design that function like a Vortex Inline! You could just hook up a professional Can Carbon Scrubber to that baby! Fucking cool man.

I hope this design works out for ya, looks like your going to be a making a can filter instead of the tray filter like mine!

Here is the link we are talking about everyone.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/rewilliams/fv20nlf1.pdf

The thing is 1.4 sones. I dont know how that exactly compares to 0.4 sones, but I imagine its not too loud, even though its Three(!) times the CFM as my scrubber! Still not too much power useage either only 57 watts. The 80CFM model is only like 14 watts or so.

Please keep us posted man, let us know how this model runs when you set it up. I never seen the bigger panasonics used in a grow yet, so im really excited for you!

= TROPICAL RAINBOW

Last edited by Bulénath; 12-24-2006 at 04:20 AM..

Old 12-24-2006, 08:10 AM   #25
green goose

i'll be interested to see how quiet it is, i hope it works out.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #26
goldfronts

How hard is it to wire one of these things to a plug?

Is there a neutral wire? If so, what did you wire the neutral to?

Thanks Goldfronts

Old 12-24-2006, 07:55 PM   #27
BonsaiGrower
Occasional User

BonsaiGrower is a splendid one to beholdBonsaiGrower is a splendid one to beholdBonsaiGrower is a splendid one to beholdBonsaiGrower is a splendid one to beholdBonsaiGrower is a splendid one to beholdBonsaiGrower is a splendid one to behold
Goldfronts....Go to Home Depot....buy the book "Wiring 1,2,3" I think is what it's called. This should answer any wiring question you may have in the future.

Cheers

Take a stroll through the BonsaiGrower Garden

Make Weed, Not War!!! It's just a weed....KISS
BonsaiGrower jest offline   Quote

Old 12-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #28
The Budfather

The Budfather will become famous soon enoughThe Budfather will become famous soon enough
so what size would you recomend for a 250?
"A man can love his work without getting paid for it. Can carve a space for himself in life that makes so many other ingredients bearable. He can use this space to grow from, to go from, or just to be, and sit in tranquility."-bongsong----beautifully put
The Budfather jest offline   Quote

Old 12-24-2006, 11:32 PM   #29

Found this when I googled "panasonic whisper fan".

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

It's a link to a page at panasonic.com for an in-line fan. I searched their site for a dealer for the fan and no dealers showed up. I tried to buy it online and was told to contact a dealer. Pretty typical chase-your-tail bullshit you sometimes find on the web. I don't even know if the link is to a valid page anymore. They may have discontinued the fan because if you just go to http://www2.panasonic.com and try to find it, it isn't there. I plan to call them and find out what's up. If you check their online store prices for their Whisper line of ceiling exhaust fans, the prices are ridiculously high.

Hope this post turns out to be of some use. I'm going to research it a little more. It's the holidays and the wife's out of town so I've got time on my hands, hehe.

Mojo

Old 12-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #30
Bulénath

goldfronts,
You dont even need to invest in a book for the simple wiring! Although that is a good book!

There are three wires.

Red-Positive
Black-Negative
Green-Ground.

Just match the colors! Its THAT easy.

For my 80cfm Model, I just bought a regular extension cord and wired it like that. Make sure the extension cord is listed to handle the fan's rated Amps and Watts, which is not very much after all, so almost any extension cord will work! A grounded extension word would work best, and would be the safest option. I just used a regular two prong extension cord, and attached the extra/green/ground wire to the ground screw. Actually, my fan was set up with the ground wire already mounted to the ground screw in the metal casing that holds the wires. But I think the safest option would be to use a tripple prong/grounded extension cord.

= TROPICAL RAINBOW