Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

Thread Title Search
Click for Quest Hydro Dehumidifiers!
Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever! Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 01:57 AM #11
BulÚnath
Defending Hawai'i (against Cali Import)

BulÚnath has a spectacular aura aboutBulÚnath has a spectacular aura aboutBulÚnath has a spectacular aura about
Bonsai,
It seems like your about to make the same post-vortex investments as I once did, to silence the thing! Dude I made a sound box to silence the Vortex aswell! It was mentioned above as a "specially designed attic housing two feet of home-made, 12" thick fiberglass insulated ducting." In the end, the vortex fan still was WAY too loud!!
That was sooo much money and time wasted to make that insulated box/attic to quiet the Vortex! Not to mentioned I had the fan itself wraped in foam to help quiet it! None of this worked!

On the same note, reguarding the Solid State Controller for the Vortex. I bought one a month after purchacing the vortex, as my first reaction to this "mini jet engine". I found that the Solid State Controller, upon slowing down the fan in hopes of cutting back on the noise, actually created more noise! The SSContorller vibrated so damn loud it canceled out the noise reduction due to CFM reduction! After wasting that $40, I started the insulated attic, etc... Thats why I burned out for an entire year when my Vortex Fan became completely useless for a stealth operation....I tried EVERYTHING...

...The whole time im thinking I wasted $400 on the Vortex experiments so other growers wont make the same mistakes!!!

Medical Marijuana patient

[ (G13 x Molokai) x Ducksfoot ] aka Nuclear Cloud X (Burmeese Pure x Oregon 90) aka Sugabears OB1
= TROPICAL RAINBOW

Last edited by BulÚnath; 12-23-2006 at 01:59 AM..
BulÚnath is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:14 AM #12
BonsaiGrower
Occasional User

BonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the rough
indeed....I ran into the same issue with my contoller. I found that after I suspended the fan rather than mounted on the rubber bushings it got better but I had to find the right speed...kinda like setting your eq on the stereo....it was feeding back till I had it just right....the vibration and noise of the fan went away but I was still left with a gushing wind sound...so now what I have is an oscillating fan in the room on low...makes no noise but it sounds like it cause my cabinet makes up for it. ah well ... at least I can't smell a thing and I can put the back of my hand on the glass of my hood...no problem at all...it's barely warm on 24/7 and the cab is only 4-5 degrees over ambient room temps

Havin way too much fun learning from my mistakes though...Peace my friend...respect

Take a stroll through the BonsaiGrower Garden

Make Weed, Not War!!! It's just a weed....KISS
BonsaiGrower is offline Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 02:42 AM #13
badgr
Midnight Rider

badgr will become famous soon enough
I'll have to stick with my dual Stanley blower's with insulated sound/light cab. Another way I keep my sound down is by pushing the air through the scrubber which also acts as a muffler. Also allways keep the intake and exhaust in seperate rooms if you can keeps things extra quiet. Nice little set up but I think their are many ways to approch this.

400w Stealth Cab
badgr is offline Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 02:46 AM #14
BulÚnath

BulÚnath has a spectacular aura aboutBulÚnath has a spectacular aura aboutBulÚnath has a spectacular aura about
Nice set up badgr! Looks very clean and precise. Yes you are very right badgr, there are many ways to ventilate a cabinet. Everyone has to find what works for *thier own* situation. Thanks for sharing!

[ (G13 x Molokai) x Ducksfoot ] aka Nuclear Cloud X (Burmeese Pure x Oregon 90) aka Sugabears OB1
= TROPICAL RAINBOW

Last edited by BulÚnath; 12-23-2006 at 02:49 AM..

Old 12-23-2006, 02:56 AM #15
BonsaiGrower
Occasional User

BonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the roughBonsaiGrower is a jewel in the rough
[quote=badgr]I'll have to stick with my dual Stanley blower's with insulated sound/light cab. Another way I keep my sound down is by pushing the air through the scrubber which also acts as a muffler. Also allways keep the intake and exhaust in seperate rooms if you can keeps things extra quiet. Nice little set up but I think their are many ways to approch this.

Very true man...nice set up you have there...looks well thought out and clean .

that's alot of fans man ... sheesh

Take a stroll through the BonsaiGrower Garden

Make Weed, Not War!!! It's just a weed....KISS
BonsaiGrower is offline Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 04:52 AM #16
goldfronts

goldfronts is on a distinguished road
is it possible to push through a home made scrubber like that with a filter on the other side of the carbon too.

Can you reverse the panasonic fans direction?

big up. Nice set up, I think I am going to give it a try.

what are the dimensions of the fan?
goldfronts is offline Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 07:03 AM #17
green goose

green goose is on a distinguished road
good post, i am struggling with the mini jet engine now. i wonder how many cfm's of whisper fan it would take to cool a 430 hps in a 4x2x6 cab? and would the larger cfm whisper fans still be quiet enough for a bedroom grow? oh yeah thats a big plant 2 green thumbs up.
green goose is offline Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 07:44 AM #18
BulÚnath

Goldfronts,

The fan's exhaust/intake is not reversable. In other words you can't make it pull air through the 4" duct.

I suppose you could push air through a scrubber using the 4". However this would be inefficient for one reason:

Negative pressure is always more efficent and more powerful than positive pressure.
This is a simple law of physics. Same concept goes for a "passive intake".

Now in cases where someone has an extremely powerful fan, (like an Inline, squirel cage fan, or blower) the fan is usually extremely loud, then I can see why someone would want to "push" the air through a scrubber: Becuase "pushing" air through a scrubber will tax it's CFM greater than "pulling", therefor the fan runs quieter *due to efficiency loss.*

Over all its always more efficent to use the laws of nature and just create a negative pressure which is constantly being replaced...Opposed to trying to remove the air by pushing it out. Remember: Passive Intake-
*the scrubber uses the same concpet*

The dimensions and specifications for each fan is linked on the last page aswell. Here is the same link:

http://www.rewci.com/panceilexfan.html

Green Goose,
Take a look at the link above. They have many models for each line of fans. The line I am using goes up to 380cfm. There are many who grow with a 400-430 watt HID, take a look at the size they are using, im sure the link will provide the panasonic equivilent. If a single fan is too loud, then why not use two quieter fans that add up to the same CFM? If I was growing with a 430HPS in my bedroom, I would probably buy 3-4 whisper fans at a very very low CFM, opposed to one large, noisy whisper fan. Either way, the amount you pay $ for CFM is almost the same when purchasing a single large Vortex with large can filter, or multiple whisperfans with cheap DIY scrubbers. Perhaps you spend a *tad* bit more, but hey, imagine a 430 watt stealth cabinet feet from your bed! No Hydro Store sells that kind of technology yet!

= TROPICAL RAINBOW

Last edited by BulÚnath; 12-24-2006 at 01:50 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:34 AM #19
green goose

green goose is on a distinguished road
bulenath thanks for the response. i will keep tweeking things until i get it right.
green goose is offline Quote

Old 12-23-2006, 10:08 PM #20
badgr
Midnight Rider

badgr will become famous soon enough
BulÚnath;
I don't know if I just misread your previous post but I'm going to have to say your description of passive is not quite right.
In my oppenion a passive cooling system works as follows,
you pull the air through the intakes and you don't usually have any intake fans just vents, b/c intake fans may actually screw up the cfms of the fan you are using to pull. Passive means air is sealed and can only come in through the intakes and you don't need to worry about smell leaking out b/c all of the air that could escape is not allowed to b/c it is getting sucked into all of the small holes and leaks. I don't know if you have seen the NGB setup from overgrow but he use's the exact setup i'm speaking of. I love this thread man. Keep it up.
400w Stealth Cab
badgr is offline Quote