What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neem Oil and Why it works and what it does

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Neem as an insect growth regulator mechanism.

LOW KNOCKDOWN - HIGH SHUTDOWN

Neem contains several active ingredients, of which the most important is Azadirachtin.
It has been estimated that Azadirachtin accounts for up to 90% of the bioactivity of neem, but there is so much synergism at work in this pesticidal cocktail of four major and twenty minor active components, that it is impossible to quantify a percentage.

Neem compounds bear no resemblance to synthetic pesticides.
They are composed only of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen and contain none of the chlorine, phosphorus, sulfur or nitrogen atoms found in synthetic chemicals.
Chemically neem resembles steroid compounds like cortisone and oral contraceptives, and there is a very different mode of action compared to the conventional “Wham, bam, thank you Maam!” of the toxic knockdowns.
In most cases neem extracts are not knockdown killers.
Instead they create hormonal disruption, which prevents the insect from feeding, breeding or metamorphosing.
It is a far more subtle process, which eventually prevents the insect from causing further damage.
It is a hormonal shutdown rather than an instant knockdown.

HORMONAL LOOK-ALIKES ALLOW EASY ACCESS

The active compounds in neem belong to a general class of natural products called ‘Triterpenes’, or more specifically, ‘limonoids’.
There are at least ten limonoids in neem, but the most researched of these are Azadirachtin, Salannin, Meliantriol and Nimbin.

Azadirachtin is the most significant of these.
Thirty years of research suggest that Azadirachtin is one of the most potent growth regulators and feeding deterrents ever tested.
It is in fact so potent that quantities as low as 1 ppm (part per million) will totally repel some insects.
Meliantriol and Salannin are powerful feeding inhibitors, while Nimbin has been found to have antiviral activity.

Neem compounds have a very similar shape and structure to several critical insect hormones.
This look-alike feature tricks the insects’ bodies into absorbing the neem compounds as if they were the vital hormones.
The neem infiltrators shut down the endocrine systems, and the hormonal chaos that follows sees populations plummet.

Last edited:

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Neem Oil...(Continued)

Neem Oil...(Continued)

REPULSION, REGULATION, DISRUPTION AND DETERRENCE

- SEVEN DISTINCT MODES OF ACTION

Neem limonoids produce seven distinct modes of action, and they include the following:

1) Feeding Deterrence:
This is the most commercially significant property of neem. The presence of Azadirachtin, Salannin and Melantriol on the leaf surface disrupts the gut of leaf-eating insects, creating the equivalent of a vomiting sensation. The associated feeding deterrence is so profound that, after experiencing the sensation, many species will never eat again.

2) Insect Growth Regulation:
Ecdysis or moulting is the shedding of skin to facilitate the growth stages of larvae or nymphs, and it is governed by the enzyme Ectyzone. Neem suppresses Ectyzone, and the insect becomes trapped in the larval stage, eventually causing death. If there are insufficient neem triterpenes present, the larvae may enter the pupal stage, but dies soon after, and if in the presence of very low neem concentrations, the adult emerges from the pupal stage sterile and malformed.

3) The disruption of mating and sexual behaviour:
It is not known if independent hormonal disruption is responsible for this complete confusion in mating routines or if the insects just feel so bad that they are sexually incapacitated. Whatever the cause, the end result is a population retarding effect and is probably quite hilarious.

4) Oviposition Deterrence: Neem also reduces pest populations by deterring females from laying eggs - a phenomenon called oviposition deterrence.

5) Repulsion:
Neem oil contains several sulfur-like compounds that can repulse insects in much the same way as garlic sprays. Some insects are particularly susceptible to this repulse response, while others cannot detect neem by taste and do not find it repulsive.

6) Adult sterilisation:
Most susceptible males are sterilised by neem compounds, and many of the female species are similarly affected. The sterilisation of eggs has also been recorded.

7)
The poisoning of larvae and adults:
As previously mentioned, neem does not have a universal knockdown capacity. However, there are some species, including mosquito larvae, fruitfly and headlice, which are killed on contact.
There are also other less important modes of action, which include the blocking of the ability to ‘swallow’ and the inhibition of the formation of chitin (the hard section covering the exosceleton).

NEEM-AFFECTED INSECTS

Some 390 insect species are affected by neem extracts, including many that are resistant to conventional pesticides.
There is such a complex interrelationship between the many components of the neem compound that, to date, there has never been a recorded case of developed neem resistance.
This may not prove the case when refined Azadirachtin products hit the market in the future.
When man tries to dilute and simplify natural phenomena, there are often unanticipated consequences.

:)

"Safer" brand ("BioNeem & "3 in 1") of "70% Neem Oil" is commonly available online...
and probably even better, if one checks their local conventional retailers shelves, they just very well may find it, as naturally sourced Neem's popularity continues to soar across the board in all the various gardening segments of society...

IMB :)

Last edited:
B

baccas125

learn something new all the time

learn something new all the time

good thread learned something new keep the info coming boggeled

Baccas:abduct:
:alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien:

G

had read...................

had read...................

...............that you could add neem to your waterins and effectively keep your grow bug free. not sure on this, but these whiteflys that showed up at harvest time make me think it might be worth a shot.

CBF

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
1 Teaspoon (5 ml.) to a quart (Liter) of water is the usual recommendation...

1 Teaspoon (5 ml.) to a quart (Liter) of water is the usual recommendation...

as a "Soil Drench." A few drops of liquid dish soap to emulsify the solution.

If using Soil/Organics and biological activity is still desired, do not use dishsoaps labeled antibacterial as they contain the chemical "Triclosan" which is very effective as an anti-bacterial, anti-Fungal agent)

Research has shown that neem has some systemic action in plants, meaning that the plants absorb it. When applied..., neem can be taken up by the roots of some plants and translocated to other parts of the plant.
Neem may remain active in the soil up to four weeks, depending on soil conditions.

When neem is applied to plant foliage, its systemic action is limited—new foliage must be sprayed periodically for adequate protection.
http://pearl.agcomm.okstate.edu/hort/ornamental/f6433.htm

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_IG018

:)

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How timely!

How timely!

I just bought my first bottle Thrusday... No one at the grow shop knew about the systemic properties. That is how I am planning on using mine. I will report the results.

T

G

So if you dont have a prob with pests. Do you still use it to prevent?
Or nah..peace..

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

Dr. D

Veteran
nice info boggled..hey sack yeh u can use it to prevent especially if u expect to get bugs in ur grows

cashcrop

How do you apply it in hydroponic grows? When do you apply it, do you use it as a preventative measure or only to combat insect problems that have surfaced?

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use it as a prevenative during spring and summer months. I mix one tablespoon of neem oil and a few drops of dishsoap with at quart of lukewarm water and spray both foilage and soil. Be sure not to use antibacterial soap.

freedominphilly

I absolutely love neem. when used religiously and diligently, i have permanently wiped out all of my spider mites. I've found it best to use every other to every third day for 2 to 2.5 weeks and be sure to spray the ENTIRE plant, undersides of leaves, EVERYTHING.

Fire

May I add to the discussion???

-

For many centuries people have called the Neem Tree in India the "Village Pharmacy."

The Neem Tree provided a source of relief from pain, fever and infections. People cleaned their teeth with Neem twigs and used the Juice from the leaf to treat skin problems. Neem contains nimbin and nimbidin which are natural sources of antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral and antiseptic properties. They also have properties which stimulate the immune system and prevent conception. Most of the healing properties are used in a topical manner, however when added to mouthwashes or toothpaste it prevents cavities and gingivitis. In topical creams it fights off skin infections and inflammation. Neem based lotions kill lice, ringworm, scabies and prevent athlete's foot. Undiluted Neem Oil repels insects such as mosquitoes, ticks, flies, mites, and caterpillars.

The history and data for its uses are too numerous to mention but it does have a purpose in the gardening industry. For years people in India watched as plagues of caterpillars or locusts devoured the foliage on trees in forests, jungles and yards. The only trees left untouched were the Neem trees. Visitors noticed flies and insects everywhere but the yards and parks. With Neem, trees were comfortably absent of these pests. Neem oils and Neem products do not kill most insects but rather repel them or alter the habitat so they no longer feed, breed or metamorphosis. Plants treated with Neem Oil seemed to withstand infection by a host of pathogens that could normally wipe out a crop. Again it's antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral and antiseptic properties seem to play a major role. Plants sprayed with a foliar spray appear to benefit from its nutritional properties and complex components.

Neem interferes with an insect's life but is not harmful to birds or warm-blooded animals or humans. In several experiments insects such as silk worms were placed in escape proof rooms and fed mulberry leaves treated or untreated with Neem 0il. The insects in the treated room would starve to death before they would devour any leaves treated with Neem Oil.

More recently countries such as Africa have begun to farm the Neem tree for commercial production, Neem Oil is now available in Canada from several reputable horticultural companies. Neem Oil will become thick or gel at cooler temperatures. By placing in warm water it soon becomes a flowable liquid again. A few drops of Neem Oil mixed with a drop or two of gentle surfactant and mixed with water provides a natural bug repellent spray considered suitable for use on organically produced crops.

Neem Oil is available under many trade names or just sold as Neem Oil in health food stores, natural cosmetic stores or garden shops.

-via maximumyield.com

HydroMage

Hi great thread very informative, my question is are these treatments a solution to erradicating the bugs or is it only possible to controll them, im curently ar war with thrips i have Ambersylus *excuse my poor spelling* the thrips predators but they only seem to be keeping the thrips numbers down, how close to harvest can one use neem based sprays i have 3 White Widdow and 1 Ak47 X Skunk#1 3 weeks from harvest

SativaBelieva

Good question HM ! I'd like to know too... how long before harvest can you still spray safely with neem oil without affecting the aromas of the final product???
Or can you spray neem oil off the plants before harvest??

Another q... when adding to the water feed... is neem oil harmful to beneficiairy soil life?... like wurms, fermenting bacteria and mycorriza root fungi?

SativaBelieva

Yes, I know... this thread has been around for a while... I just think some interesting info is gathered here... so I rather bump this thread with my questions, than start a new... keeping the good info together...

Latest posts

Latest posts