What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GoJoeGo - DIY - Simple Exhaust System

The Fan
Walmart: less than 10 bucks
Pros: Three Speeds, tilts, made to sit on a table or mounted to the wall/ceiling

Hvac Reducers
(1) 8 X 6 inch reducer
(1) 6 X 4 inch reducer

(1) Roll of Aluminum Tape

Now Assemble

The fan is a Honeywell, the center label just fell off. I haven't seen them for sale in a couple years. I still use mine and it's 2010. I have had to take them part and oil the motor. You will need a TORX screwdriver head to remove two of the screws, the others are phillips head. A couple shots of 3-in-1 motor oil and they run like a champ again. They were getting a bit noisey. Squeeking at start up.

Last edited:

stevr59

man i swear that looks just like my honeywell fan i got last summer to keep me cool on the job site i work ummmmmmmmmmm got me thinking now lol dam nice diy thread OJ

G

im interested to see where this is going, but its looking like just taping the ducting together to form a reducer then tabing to the fan? I'm wondering if this is going to have a carbon filter on it

so how well does it work?

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
My understanding was that these fans don't perform too well with static pressure... like in long runs of ducting or lots of bends. I'm also curious in seeing how well it works...

mrgrowmez

im curious to see what this is going to be connected too. a filter or what.....also is it nesecary to reduce to 4" why not keep it at 6"....cant wait to see the finished product...

Ganico

Veteran
Wait, isn't that blowing into the duct? Wouldn't it work better if it pulled instead of pushed?

G

im curious about the 4' instead of 6" too...maybe he already had that duct size

jcsmooth

That looks exactly like my honeywell fan.
That thing can blow some air, but it's so flippin' loud.
I wouldn't want that motor to have to do any more work (too much ducting)...it sounds like it's already on overdrive.

JC

NorthernKronic

Grower of fine herbs...
Veteran
I burned out 2 of these fans just running them 24/7 for a few weeks. Definitely not made to deal with neg pressure or constant use. If you dont have money for a inline fan or dayton then go and pick up a stanley blower and do that mod, that fan run will run with neg pressure and constant use....