What's new

RED SAP from wound?!?

Kenny Lingus

I've only read about this phenomenon once, and I 'd like to ask the experienced guys out on this.

-The plant that show this deep deep blood red liquid when cuts are taken is an Hawaiian Snow from Greenhouse Seeds Standards. (I think it's a blend of genetics from Hawaii and Laos)
-It's just 4weeks old from seed and have barely shoved a sign of female bracket/pistil in a few nodes. It's grows below a 250 halide at perfect temps but a little low RH (40-60%). It's rooted in Canna Terra Professional soil mixed with a little perlite and EWC. It's fed with weak solution of BioCanna Vega, Bio-Bact (a local brand of nutes made from cellulose industry wasteproduct and microorganizms. It's molasses based I beleive) and of course theres a little feeding with Fish Mix and some beneficial bacteria like Bio Magix and Bacterial from No Mercy. In fact the plant seems damn healthy and vigorous!

Any of you guys know it this is a normal genetic thing or if it's some kinda illness I should fight?

JLP

Veteran
I've only seen it once on some TFD O-Haze.It came out clear but turned red.It didn't seem to effect the plants.

JLP

zamalito

Veteran
I've seen it a few times can't remember on what though. I've heard this is why punto rojo is thus named. I always though the name came from red pistils. Interestingly haze probably has a lot of punto rojo. It can be a sign of p deficit but I believe it's genetic.

guineapig

Veteran
Crazy!!

Finally photographic evidence of this......some of the strongest stuff ever came from
plants that did this brought back from the SE Asia region during the 70s....the plants had been cloned continuously since then.....

I would say that this is peculiar to SE Asia, but if punta roja does this same thing then perhaps I am wrong....

:ying: yer pal gp :ying:

KingRalph

i had this happen recently on a couple of NL plants, cuttings that were cloning and when PK was put in the water it made excess and over-pressurized the plants and it burst out red in spots. i noticed it first when i topped the plants. i've had it happen with numerous strains and find it's normally P-K related. could be genetic though, some plants never did it... but who knows what their PK content was...

G

If the plant looks healthy and is growing normally I think it would be a genetic thing. I have seen this a few times over the years, I thought it was pretty cool, a plant that bleeds, lol.

Kenny Lingus

Geezz, that's exactly what it looks like John Lee!!!

When I took it on my finger it was like a drop of blood! It had some violet underhues when I soaked it into a piece of paper...

No defs in the plants, as I can see from the visual state nor the cultural history of the plant. The P/K level could be a bit high though as it is a little coco coir in the mix, but it sure doesn't show. Plant is green, actually light green compared to the other strains I got in there. (Sour Bubble of course is very dark green, but there are some Phoenix hazes next to it -and warlocks, great white sharks, blue thunders, mixes of some of those are in there also.)
I know deficiencies can be present relatvely long before its evident to the human eye (even if trained!), but I guess its as healthy as it needs to be :)

Let's see how it turns out!

If it goes on "bleeding" like that we may start some fanatic religous cult outta it ;). I'll grab my cam next time I cut it.

Thank you people so much for answering.

Last edited:
G

It's not uncommon.

Red "Phloem" (sap) is from soluble sugars are are trapped by the phloem in one spot on the plant instead of being part of the plants Kreb's cycle.

In english: It's sap that's loaded with high amounts of sugar that has become immobile in the plant.
If you cut a leaf stem where the sugar has concentrated, you get "blood sap"......sometimes... the conditions need to be right for you to see the red sap.

It's also the part of the same process that makes apples red or purple strains, purple (anthocyanin production).

Ever see autumm colors in tree leaves? Same process.

It has nothing to do with P-K content at all.

If you did a "Brix test" (sugar content) on the red sap you would see it has at least 2x the sugar of clear sap.

Got to love Cannabis,
D9

Kenny Lingus

^^^strange that it's only happening to plants from one strain, and that those plants are only a month old from seed. I don't see this in any others even though I grow plurals under the same regimen... -t didn't taste very sweet either, but what do I know about sugars!?! Hehehe, except that I love eating sweet stuff;) Taste was rather acrid and just like sap from any plant. (BRIX reading might not be tasteable though.)

-As of now both my Hawaiian Snows have shown rep sap from cuts in branches/stems (not when petioles where cut though...). It comes out transpararant, but within seconds it goes deep red.

My cellphone cam wasn't good enuff for proper pictures. I guess it is what JLP shows us up there, so pictures ain't really important.

Last edited:
G

Interestingly haze probably has a lot of punto rojo.

Yes the Haze does show this in some of the phenos for sure.

This one bleeds easilly, forms wherever their has been damage to the leaf.

All the best, hhf

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
When I tasted it, it was sweet to my tounge, I reckon it's medicine for me. I also think the fresh fragrant oxygen is like medicine.
H

Gert Lush

Veteran
Bumpety bump!
I'd heard of this phenomenon, but thought it was rather rare.

Today, while topping three NepJam F2s (for sexing) one of them showed exactly the same thing, almost as intensely as JLP's picture, above.

I'm pretty sure it's genetic as all 3 plants were in the same conditions, yet only one showed. No idea if the smoke will be any better (or even if it's a female) we'll just have to wait and see.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Its the nutrients used is all. Some plants may ave that characteristic naturally but my money is on the nutes and additives. Bud Blood does this to anything its used on. Humble1 discovered that red sap on some of his cuts after using it and it makes sense to me. Not everything in growing is a great mystery or incredile phenomenom my peoples.

Riddle78

hi,
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And few minuts later...

picture.php

Majikoopa

Sometimes red stems can be caused by a nutrient deficiency. I had the same thing happen to me a few grows ago and it was a MG deficiency. Added a little epsom salt and did a foliar spray (1tsp:1gallon water) and it cleared right up.

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Wow, old thread. No information to add, but I did have this happen with some Blue Mystics I grew several years ago.

GreatLakes THC :joint:

Bro.

It's not uncommon.

Red "Phloem" (sap) is from soluble sugars are are trapped by the phloem in one spot on the plant instead of being part of the plants Kreb's cycle.

In english: It's sap that's loaded with high amounts of sugar that has become immobile in the plant.
If you cut a leaf stem where the sugar has concentrated, you get "blood sap"......sometimes... the conditions need to be right for you to see the red sap.

It's also the part of the same process that makes apples red or purple strains, purple (anthocyanin production).

Ever see autumm colors in tree leaves? Same process.

It has nothing to do with P-K content at all.

If you did a "Brix test" (sugar content) on the red sap you would see it has at least 2x the sugar of clear sap.

Got to love Cannabis,
D9
Hi,

Source ?

If it's the case, I think they should be more attractive to Sap-sucking insects,

+++

Latest posts

Latest posts