What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nuggybuds’ mystery CFL Grow

NuggyBuds

Hello everyone thanks for stopping by. I’ll start with a short history of what I’ve been up to. During the OG shutdown I was finishing a grow and decided not to start a new one because I planned on moving soon . So it’s been a while, but I’m getting back on the horse.

The seeds I am currently growing are seed I received from my dad, who received them from his cousin that used to grow, (he died recently). The problem is I have no Idea what strain they are, (thus the “mystery”). I’m actually excited to see whet they turn out to be, indica? Sativa? Purple? Skunky? Sweet? OH BOY!
I also have some “mystery” bag seed from the best weed I’ve ever had. I’ve grown this seed out once already with great success (sorry no pics) so I know what to expect from that batch so I’ll save them for breeding with what ever I get from the dad seeds.

I’m growing in a small cab built from a chest of drawers. I took the face of the drawers off and I will be using the drawer to hold the pots. This way I can move the plants instead of the lights. I have a vanity light with splitters so I can get 6 CFL’s in there. I have 6 27Watt bulbs, 4 daylight and 2 coolwhite. I’m going very minimalist organic using urine (see my sig for details how I use it), bone meal, molasses, and kelp in tea’s. I’m not going to go into my methods right now because frankly I’m not set on what I’m going to do. But This is going to be my “figure it out as I go” thread.

I germinated 2 beans from my dad, and I’ll grow them out for now. I’ve never used this lighting set-up before and I don’t want to expect as far as yield. If I think I can get away with more plants next time I will do that. If I get any males I’ll be saving the pollen using This method And I’ll breed with the females from the “killer” bagseed. If I can get a successful breeding program going I think I’ll call the strain, Mystery Nugs. Or something like that.

Here's afew pics.

The Box closed

Open

The babies, Day 3

The one on the left looks like it might be a purple pheno. :woohoo:

updates in a few.
:joint:

NuggyBuds

Quick update,

My "purple pheno" died due to my stupidity, burying it too shallow and it dried out. and so I started 1 of the "dad" bag seed and one of the killer. These 2 have cracked and are now in pots. I should see them pop out in a day or two, pics when they do.

Here's the first @ day 7. I've called her Alpha.

Last edited:

NuggyBuds

Alpha Day 10

Possible Calcium Def? Probably PH...

B (nick named "purple daddy") Day 2 (from dad stock)

One cotyledon is larger than the other. Maybe a trait someone will recognize in a purple strain?

almost looks like heat damage or nute burn? you defenitly do not need to fert them anytime soon I dont fert for atleast the first two weeks under lights if not more.

NuggyBuds

Well it's not heat. I have not feed it yet. I think it's the ph of the soil. I've got some peat in there making it acidic, I watered in some dolomite lime, and mild kelp tea fert, she's green today.

Thanks for the response!

Last edited:

Jenna

Neat idea on the dresser Nuggybuds. Are you going to use that to flower them too?

I like molasses for a fertilizer too.. can't say as I would use urine but that's more of a personal choice rather than a dissected nutrient breakdown. What are you using for mix?

Good luck with your grow!

NuggyBuds

Thanks Jenna,
Yes I will be using it for flower too, I'm a little limited for space right now, and it's more of a hobby than a medical grow so I'm not to worried about yeild, I just want some good smoke.

The urine is perfect but I can understand your position.

As for my mix, it's 50% vermiculite, 25% soil, 25% peat moss, and dolomite lime.
All my fert comes from tea's and urine. I used to add blood and bone meal but I like being able to add ferts when they need it not in the mix. A personal choice.

Here is the Alpha plant looking meaner and greener.

amazing what a little kelp and molassas tea can do... :sasmokin:

Last edited:
G

Hey there Nuggybuds, nice to meet you. Nice turn around with your alpha, looks 100% better. Ive heard molasses helps put on weight in flowering, you ever experienced this?:confused:
:joint: :joint: peace

NuggyBuds

Hey Alaskan,
Thanks for stopping in!
yeah the alpha surprised me a bit, I did not expect that it would need a fert so soon, but the floro's grow short bushy plants typically so I guess it looked younger then it was. If you get my meaning.

I've not experienced a bud weight increase, mostly because I've got nothing to compare to. I've always used it. However I don't believe molasses to be magic, but I think it helps you reach the highest potential for growth. Molasses is high in carbs and feeds microbial cultures in an organic setup, which in turn breakdown and assist in the uptake of nutrients. Thus giving you bigger and better everything.

Last edited:
G

tag!
hey Buddy, good to see you're still around, i'll be following your mystery grow from here on in.

NuggyBuds

Hey SatGhost!
nice to see your keeping on. Welcome and thanks for stopping by.
:wave:

Ok update. this is alpha day 12 frome seed.

Looking good! few more nodes then veg, I'll be Trying the FIM on the 6thor 7th node, something I have not yet tried.

Here's the second plant beta, Day 4, looking less purple, but has a red stem.

A little prob here with no ferts too.

Whatever strain these are they require ferts early! NBD live and learn. Next time I'll pretreat the soil with a mild kelp tea.
:sasmokin:

Last edited:

muddy waters

Hey Buddy, long live the urine faq!

So you aren't using bone meal to supply phosphorus? I still am in my mixes but the rest of the nutrition comes from a combination of sources, like yours, ash water, kelp and molasses, fish tank water, chamomile tea. i'm curious to see how your grow does without the bone meal. blood meal is obviously unnecessary with urine providing the ammonia, right?

nice going too with the cabinet with drawers, i do the same thing, keeping my plants right under the light by adjusting the drawer.

good luck on your grow

NuggyBuds

Hey muddy! Thanks for stoppin' in.

I'm not going to mix in bone meal, but may use a bone meal in a tea. I've also found that pupmkin seeds are a good source of P K and Mg. so I've saved some blended up seeds from this years halloween pumpkin, and will be experimenting with this in flower. also wood ash is a good phosphorus source.
Yeah the urine will supply what the blood meal will, plus some micro's.
Kelp, molasses, and fish water to top it off. Plus whatever I can find.

Update,
Day 14 Alpha plant

Beta Day 6

I feed them both with some of the pumpkin and molasses today.
peace

NuggyBuds

Well it's been a few days. here they are @ day 17 and 9 respectively.

I FIM'd alpha today...

This is the first Time I've done this, I've only LST'd before but I thought I'd try this. I used some small pointy scissors that come in nail clipper kits. I tried to cut the bowl shape that is described by thouse that use this method. I cut @ 6th node. Updates when the new tops are visible, I'm hoping for more than 2. :bigeye:

NuggyBuds

Ok well the FIM'g didn't go as planned I endedup with some funky leaves and thats about it, I don't think I cut deep enough. Anyway I went back to good old LST. here is Alpha day 25 from seed ~ 12 days into veg

she's a little dark I'm thinking a little too much Nitrogen, I've flushed a bit last water, and will give her a good rinse through next time too.

Beta(just for ease sake)
@ day 17 from seed ~ day 4 of veg.

this one is looking really good soon I'll tie it down too it just needs some length.

Good growing everyone.
peace and good will on this holiday season. If I don't post here before the new year, have a good countdown everyone.
Nuggy

NuggyBuds

Well it's been a long while but here are the girls (yes they both have shown female preflowers)

Alpha

and
Beta

I know it's hard to see from thse images... but they're Female for sure...

here are the full size plants

Alpha day 45

Beta day 37

I was going to change the lights soon, but I think I'm going to wait an other week or so.

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
nice pics man i cant believe i missed this thread im usually all over cfl grows. pretty girls when do you flower them?

NuggyBuds

Thanks for stopping by walkabout and sm0kateer4204

I'm planning on turning the lights and doing a final repotting this weekend. Looking at my space restrictions I'm a little afraid that they may over grow the box. this is a fundimental problem with growing a mystery strain. I belive the strain however to be a hybrid and so I'm giving myself 2x strech space and I'll rigg up some sort of scrogish netting.