What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pacT's "bolt hash"

Pactivist

here is an easy and inexpensive way to make your own hash, it's how i've been doing it for a while and it works well, and can easily be adjusted to larger and smaller amounts of kif.
I try to use as much of my plants as is possible, and the trim used in this thread was intended for BHO, and is not the kind of trim I usually use for dry scuffing. what is left after scuffing will still go to BHO so still nothing is lost, but the final hash will be of slightly lower quality. better starting products yeilds a much better end product.
so here we go.
what you will need:
kif - i use dry scuffed (see below)
1 - deepwell socket (i use a 3/4")
2 - bolts which fit the socket tightly (more detail below)
2 - nuts which fit the the bolts
1 - large c-clamp
1 - smaller bolt or a drift punch to press the hash out
heat source (optional)

to make my kif i use a kitchen strainer, a cookie sheet, and a framed silkscreen 130 micron i think from a chain crafts store.

i grind the trim through the kitchen strainer

I then use a spoon to bounce the ground trim around for awhile, longer agitation usually leads to more plant matter in the kif

i collect up my kif

and repeat till all the trim is processed

now comes the fun part, one of the bolts will need to have the threads cut off, or will somehow have to fit into the socket upside down so that the head faces up (i used a dremel to cut the bolt down to size, hold it with vice grips if you choose to do this) the other bolt will need to have 2 nuts on the very end of it (see pic) tightened against each other (double nutted).

place the cut off (or otherwise modified) bolt into the socket upside down (head up)

add kif

press down as hard as you can with the head of the other bolt

keep adding kif until the socket is full and you can no longer compress it by hand, then put it in the c-clamp and tighten

i usually set it inside my gas oven (pilot light only) which keeps the temp around 88 degrees F, and every now and then i give it another twist just to keep the pressure on. i leave it like this for a minimum of 72 hours usually much longer. now it might be a little hard to get out, but i will post some tips on that when mine is ready to come out.
well that's about it for now - but here are a couple of things that i have found.
your source of kif really does not matter as long as the kif is dry,
to get the tightest fit between bolt and socket, i used a metric bolt sanded down to fit a 3/4" socket, also the longer it sits in the press - the easier the hash is to remove. one other thing - i need a good source for bulk silkscreen, to refine my kif further.
comments? suggestions? sources for silkscreen?
stay safe,
peAce,
pacT

Sleepy

Veteran
man, that's a nice pile of kif!!

thanks, you gave me about 4 new ideas to improve my tumbling!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Pactivist

thanks everyone, hey got bud? how do the tpi sizes equate to micron meshes? i was thinking that i would need at least 2 to 3 screens of different mesh sizes, like a 150 micron, a 110 micron, and a 70 micron. do these sizes seem right? and if i knew how to convert tpi to micron openings i'd be ordering my silkscreen right now.
peAce,
pacT

Sleepy

Veteran
Pactivist said:
thanks everyone, hey got bud? how do the tpi sizes equate to micron meshes? i was thinking that i would need at least 2 to 3 screens of different mesh sizes, like a 150 micron, a 110 micron, and a 70 micron. do these sizes seem right? and if i knew how to convert tpi to micron openings i'd be ordering my silkscreen right now.
peAce,
pacT

i think there is a chart on the dickblick website to convert TPI to microns... :chin:

hmmm...lets see if i can paste this in here...

U.S. Mesh Microns Inches
10 2000 0.0787
12 1680 0.0661
14 1410 0.0555
16 1190 0.0469
18 1000 0.0394
20 840 0.0311
25 710 0.0280
30 590 0.0232
35 500 0.0197
40 420 0.0165
45 350 0.0137
50 297 0.0117
60 250 0.0098
70 210 0.0083
80 177 0.0070
100 149 0.0059
120 125 0.0049
140 105 0.0041
170 88 0.0035
200 74 0.0029
230 62 0.0024
270 53 0.0021
325 44 0.0017
400 37 0.0015
550 25 0.0009
800 15 0.0006
1250 10 0.0004

not sure if that helps...did a google search on converting TPI to microns.

...columns not lining up, sorry...

first column is US mesh...2nd column is microns, last column is inches

peace. :confused:

Last edited:

Pactivist

removing hash from the press

removing hash from the press

Well mine has been sitting long enough - so now i need to get it out of my press.
gonna need some tools -

these are the ones that i use, a hammer, a small bolt, a drift punch, and a knife(a little later)
first remove the press from the c-clamp

now you are going to need to remove the top bolt - the only method i have is to hit it with a hammer a couple of times and wiggle it out.

then i take a smaller bolt - one that will fit through the opening where the ratchet attaches to the socket. i then put the entire thing back into the c-clamp.

and use the force of the c-clamp to get my hash bits moving, when i have pushed the hash almost to the end of the socket, i remove it from the c-clamp, and use a drift punch and a hammer to finish driving it out.

after it's out,

i clean my press with a knife,

and these little "hash crumbs" are my bonus - i smoke these immediately.
and finally the finished product - notice the bottom chunk - we've been smoking the hell out of it.

We can't help it, this hash kicks ass!!
well that's my method, any comments? suggestions for improvement?

I would like to say - I use a 3/4" socket, but there is absolutely no reason not to use a larger or smaller socket depending on your needs, the key would be that you need a very tight fit between the socket and the bolts that you are going to use.
good luck, stay safe,
peAce,
pacT

Sleepy

Veteran
hey, thanks for the tip!!

i used my tumbler earlier, and got the best results yet!

i'll put up a pic or two over the weekend.

not a huge pile of kif, but the best/highest quality yet! :woohoo:

thanks again!

Keefhead

Sleepy said:
i think there is a chart on the dickblick website to convert TPI to microns... :chin:

first column is US mesh...2nd column is microns, last column is inches

peace. :confused:
Great chart, thanks for posting it. You say it came from DickBlick? Do they have the other sizes as listed, or only the ones we all bought?

K

Sleepy

Veteran
some pix...

some pix...

again, not the most kif, but the easiest and best(cleanest) for me yet!

thanks, pacT!

...of course i had to try some in the vape last night...like a typical stoner, i spilled most of it! :pointlaug
:wallbash: :cuss:

Pactivist

Quick update - found that the hash will come out of the press a bit easier if the press is put into the freezer for a while before removing the hash.
btw - i do my absolute best not to waste any of my grass, so after being dry scuffed, all of that trim will be run through my my BHO tube to extract the last of the resins and believe me there will be a bit of oil. i will add that process to this thread soon. maybe i should call this waste not - want not! My bho tube is pretty big so it takes me a while to collect up enough trim and scuff remains to fill it. it's 1.5" x 18" and holds over an ounce of trim. so be patient with me.
Sleepy - nice pile of kif there, and you hit upon the main reason that i press mine - spillage - i have spilled, dumped, and sneezed away a small fortunes worth of kif, hell my cat once dumped over the container that it was in and dumped almost 2 grams of kif on my carpet. when it is pressed i no longer worry about losing any of it so i feel better.
peAce everyone,
stay safe,
pacT

rexamus616

Veteran
mr Pactivist,

you have kwite a method here.... thank you for sharing....

I use basically the same method, only I have one suggestion: wax/baking/tracing paper. Get your beige powder, pour it into the middle of the paper, then fold it around the kiff powder, and _then_ press it. this method i _think_ may be easier than the bolt, since the pressed hash doesn't stick to the paper....

also, the sun warms hash well.... just protect the product from direct sunlight, e.g. leave in the wax paper while warming.

Happy hashing :)

Pactivist

a little update (The BHO I made after)

a little update (The BHO I made after)

In my first post I mentioned that the trim I was using was intended for BHO.
I also said I was going to run it through the BHO process after I was done making dry scuff hash. well that part is now complete, and I have a few pics of the results.
Ready for final purge (note: the electric frying pan is not plugged in and is just used for a hot water bath)

Hot water in

Bubbles

Through the looking glass (400w MH)

Through the looking glass (60w incandescent)

Through the looking glass (white towel background)

after I get it all scraped together and weighed I will post a couple pics of that too.
peAce,
pacT

G

Wow that bho looks far better than I was expecting for keefed trim, you had to thro in a few popcorn nugs right?

Pactivist

This run was made from about 3oz's of previously dry scuffed trim. I have now weighed the oil (pics soon) and I am ready to post the results.
from 3 oz's of mixed Sensi Star & Sage trim I managed;
7.2 grams of dry scuffed and pressed hash
15 grams of BHO
grand total = 22.2 grams of very smokable extracts from 85-90 grams of trim.
I figure that this is a pretty good rate.
What's your opinion?
peAce,
pacT

G

Thats a good return on trim, hella cool. And the oil looks far better than I expected.

Sleepy

Veteran
bumping

bumping

thanks agian, Pactivist!! :headbange :headbange :headbange

i have gotten the best results yet out of the tumbler using all of the tips in this thread!

THANK YOU!!! :jump: :respect: :friends: