This is a reward to myself, to get to post a build thread, my bloom is in full swing is the reason. One of my tasks this week was to rebuild my scrubber, so I took pics for the good folks here. My hope is that someone who needs a scrubber will understand this simple method and design their own to fit their needs and stuff they have, or from the dollar store.
I use a 750 cfm shop fan, noisy beast, and this unit will clean the air in two rooms for 10-11 months, this is my third year testing it.
Here are the components, and my base, 2 - 10 inch square net baskets, notice the baskets are lined up so air can flow through. It is a simple thing, but an easy mistake to make, to not check this point before proceeding.
I use 2-10 inch netpots, 1- 6 inch, 1- 5 1/4 inch, a couple packages of vent filters [anything will do], 3 liters of activated carbon, duct tape and a knife, the scizzors didn't work out.
The first step is to line the basket with filters, there is no right or wrong way, just cover the area, extra layers are fine. I hot glued and taped these in the first year, they do not need to be attached if you fit and fill with care.
After lining, build the floor - fill with carbon. I fill to 1.5 inches - because my fan will easily pull through that. That is what is important. On a small fan, just fill a half inch, or three quarters, flow through is the ticket.
Fill to the desired level - this took just under 3 liters this time, at $5 per at wallyland. Cut - yes, this is the first and only time you need a tool [see why I like it?] - the filters to fit the center hole. I do 4 pieces, you could double this, or a heavier filter would be good too. You could also fold n rip instead of cut - if ya be that stoned, eh? Then tuck and get ready for the top.
Sinse I support this the same way it was designed - under the basket lip - I just tape the top with duct tape. If you need to support this, add a rigid top of wood, plastic, or metal, whatever you have. Also, if you need to tilt on the side, this will not work without some modification, keep it in mind. This works in the position it is built in, good principle in diy. This is the unit ready to have the fan connected.
Haps - you are the man - I love these less complicated DIY's
I recently found myself with a pile of stinky fresh buds to dry. Normally I dry in my cabinet which has a pro CF carbon filter, but my cabinet is still full of other flowering girls.
So I had to make a carbon scrubber for my other veg cabinet to use it as a drying chamber. Well I found this DIY and whent off to walmart. I picked up a 6"x5"x4" deep sterilite plastic thingy made for storing DVDs and CD's which was clear and full of holes for $1.79 and then a smaller plastic sterilite thingy that fit inside also full of holes that was like $0.97 it was square. Then off to the fish department to get two tubs of activated carbon for $5.49 each and finally to hardware to pick up some of those hot air register filters for $2.79 for a dozen. Well I went home and put it all together in a very similar fashion to how you did this and taped in a 4" dryer hose connected to my exhaust fan.
And it works perfectly. There is no smell in the room, but when I open the doors I get hit with a wave of stinky buds.
Thanks for the DIY it helped me out alot!
p.s. - hey haps are you the same haps_overland I remember? you still growing that purple bluethunder? - I've been wanting to grow that ever since I saw your pics and I finally got some seeds and have a seedling starting flower right now so I am super excited.
Can't get enough of that sugacrisp - How ya doing Sugarbear, long time no type, you were over at the RM site when I did the thread there, I 'member. I am delighted that this scrubber thread helped you - thanks for showing me, very cool stuff! My unit will last for a year, but smaller units can be just as effective, as long as the air flows through.
I lost the velvet and some other stuff last year when I had a heart attack. That purple pheno of the BT is a survivor though, she makes a couple beans in the crown of each plant, I never see the naners. I got two of those beans growing in bloom right now, one has started turning purple, and the other seems to be content to be extra delicate and xtra frosty. Got a clone of the velvet one, and it is going into the seed project for this year, as a base to play with. Hope you get the purple pheno in yours good luck.
POMH, glad you like it girl, if you like simple, take a look at the new polystyrene tubbler lids I'm testing in my gallery, the prototypes were made completely with a steak knife. If you have heat issues in you cabinet, the insulation is a rootsaver.