What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autoflowers for new growers.

vanilla dutch

Do new growers find auto flowering strains to be easier to grow than normal varietys. If i was a new grower nowadays, i would think they would be easier and less complicated.thoughts opinions?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I'm an old grower that just tried Autos. I noticed that stages of the grow happen faster so there would be less chance to screw up on nute defiencies. You still have the pests though. I had a small number of Fungus Gnats but the Mosquito Dunks slowly wiped them out. They probably rode in on the soil-less though. People wouldn't get the Spider Mites because of not bringing clones in. On the whole though I am guessing Autos are easier and faster.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A few fundamental principles in growing autos. Less is better to get them started. When people germinate in Solo cups, it crowds root structure, then transplanting causes possible root interference. Start with a good medium, feed lightly when sexed, and avoid overwatering, if possible, and less nutrients. 3-5 gallon containers 1-2 (<<<<at most), in each.

vanilla dutch

I recently became interested in autos.especially outdoors. In our area of the usa its hard for plants to finish outdoors because it gets cold around the same time they start flowering.plus i seen some pictures on icmag that showed buds at 60 days from sprout. I just figured for new growers autos mite be easier because you can just leave a light on for 18 /6 and they still will finish plus its like twice as fast. Yield mite be lower but once u get a couple trys under your belt maybe try the harder to dial in varietys.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recently became interested in autos.especially outdoors. In our area of the usa its hard for plants to finish outdoors because it gets cold around the same time they start flowering.plus i seen some pictures on icmag that showed buds at 60 days from sprout. I just figured for new growers autos mite be easier because you can just leave a light on for 18 /6 and they still will finish plus its like twice as fast. Yield mite be lower but once u get a couple trys under your belt maybe try the harder to dial in varietys.

Yes, vanilla dutch- and by successive planting, every 5-6 weeks you get a harvest continually that makes up for less yield want waiting ass you do with photoperiods.

Nannymouse

For a person who moves every few years, keeping a mom can be difficult. Well, just keeping moms can be difficult, anyway. Some folks have a hard time getting cuts to start, too. For folks in the northern areas, it would be good to know that the plants can finish at a certain time. Lots of reasons that a good seed line is handy for newbies. (and old bees)

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I will only grow autos outdoors now. I have given up on anything else due to powdery mildew. Growers near me on Reddit were harvesting in early August - just when my photos were starting to pre-flower last summer. And just a few weeks later, PM started in earnest. Never again.

And indoors, my highest successful grow yield yet was from 4 autos - each in 5 gallon pots with coco. Over 20 oz. :rasta:

So for new growers, it really is the way to go.

vanilla dutch

20 oz. from 4 autos is a very good yield. I have a friend who swears by autos. And for someone like me who believes in 24/ 7 veg, autos seem like a good idea. Thanks for posting.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I am just finishing back-to-back Sativa grows so a nice quick auto grow sounds really appealing right now. Hmmm . . . :rasta:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
And here is a pic of one of my autos near finish.

picture.php

A Dutch Passion Auto Blueberry from seed. A great yielder but weak on taste & a mid-grade effect btw.

wiesser

autos and 24/7 lighting

autos and 24/7 lighting

How does running lighting 24/7 effect autos? Do they need any dark time during veg? Or even for flowering? Could you potentially run lighting 24/7 through the entire grow? ( veg and flower)

vanilla dutch

I think 18 / 6 is best for autos. But i believe in 24 \ 7 veg. Not sure about flowering. My friend says they still flower normally though

Mary57

I've had problems with bud rot and am also dealing with the space limitations of a backyard grow and related security issues. Two smaller, more discrete outdoor crops instead of stressing over thief-bait 6+ foot trees in a residential neighborhood next October is looking better and better.

My understanding is that autos have come a long way in a short time and newbies should definitely prioritize giving them a try. Mine are just going into the veg area with the photos as soon as they're big enough and then the Great Outdoors.

Photos don't go out until Mother's Day here, but autos don't need as many hours of daylight. Rain is more of an issue than snow or freezing temperatures in the early spring, so that gets me thinking about a cloche.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I had good results with Urban Legends seeds. Good yeld, good weed. My previous auto grows from before were dissapointing.