What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor scrog advice needed

Red October

Hey everyone, this is going to be my first time trying to work with a scrog setup and I'm in need of a bit of advice as I thinking I'm setting myself up for issues further down the line.

We're having a really windy season so I built a semi enclosed area to grow them out, the plants where getting a bit too big too quickly so I thought I could setup scrog to help me control height a bit better. The plants I have are 4 cannabiogen destroyers and 1 hawaiian snow.

The table is set quite high compared to what I've seen but I wanted access to the undersection from both sides, but the issues that I'm concerned about are how close to place the bud sites and how tall to allow them to get above the screen as the destroyers do like to stretch but would still like some nice sized colas. :biggrin:

The screen is 1 meter x 4 meters in size and I have just shy of 1.5 meters headroom available. I still have 1.5 months of veg time left and at the rate they are growing I need to figure out how to slow them down a bit and how to strengthen the bud sites.

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_192618.jpg
    IMG_20210119_192618.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210121_180644.jpg
    IMG_20210121_180644.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210119_190349.jpg
    IMG_20210119_190349.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210120_200922.jpg
    IMG_20210120_200922.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

unnamedmike

Nice setup, good job bro! :headbange

I don't know if it's the right to do, i've never grown SCROG outdoors, but i usually grow between 7 and 11 tips in each 55x55cm, maybe outdoors, less tips?

I've had bad luck with "hard" nets, they damaged branches when moving with the air.

:lurk:

Red October

Nice setup, good job bro! :headbange

I don't know if it's the right to do, i've never grown SCROG outdoors, but i usually grow between 7 and 11 tips in each 55x55cm, maybe outdoors, less tips?

I've had bad luck with "hard" nets, they damaged branches when moving with the air.

:lurk:
thanks Mike:biggrin: I struggled to find cable nets with closer packed openings here, figured I could attach the bases of each head to the screen to reduce movement but now in hindsight the chicken wire wasn't the best choice if the wind doesn't let up. Hoping the wind calms down at the end of February as it's meant to be out hottest month but so far we've been pounded almost daily with 30-50km/h winds, I'll do flexible nets on the higher sections as I figured I'd need it because of the wind and length of the colas.

The stretch you had on some of your plants freaked me out but I'm hoping the sunshine and travel of the sun will help keep things under control, otherwise I'm going to be dealing with a contortionists worst nightmare!!

Tynehead Tom

I scrog outdoors in my greenhouse both in holes in the ground and in 18 gallon rubbermaid totes..... organic mix, water only.
For 2 seasons in a row I did roughly 4x8 foot areas for the inground plants and I had to make 2 nets. 1 Lower down to start the plant out in the scrog format, and then another net once the flowering got underway.
This past season I made the canopy smaller and built frames out of 2x4 and made the area roughly 3 ft x 4 ft. Then I make my net with 3 to 4 inch squares so that gives me 9 squares by 12 squares which works out to 108. So that means I need roughly 108 tops from each plant.
Some early planning makes it easier and training into the net goes pretty fast. My plants finish at around 4 to 5ft tall at harvest, ground to top of colas.
picture.php

Red October

I scrog outdoors in my greenhouse both in holes in the ground and in 18 gallon rubbermaid totes..... organic mix, water only.
For 2 seasons in a row I did roughly 4x8 foot areas for the inground plants and I had to make 2 nets. 1 Lower down to start the plant out in the scrog format, and then another net once the flowering got underway.
This past season I made the canopy smaller and built frames out of 2x4 and made the area roughly 3 ft x 4 ft. Then I make my net with 3 to 4 inch squares so that gives me 9 squares by 12 squares which works out to 108. So that means I need roughly 108 tops from each plant.
Some early planning makes it easier and training into the net goes pretty fast. My plants finish at around 4 to 5ft tall at harvest, ground to top of colas.
View Image
thanks Tom, that's helping me to start looking at the screen in a more structured way, man I'm going to have way too much weed at the end of all of this!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts