What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you pick your guerilla grow spot?

Billyn

It's getting stuffy here

"Water and wildlife in the nation's public forests are slowly being poisoned by insecticides and other chemicals used in illegal marijuana operations, say forest police and researchers. They warn that the potential environmental damage could last generations.

Many of the grows are the work of highly organized drug cartels that take advantage of the forests' thick canopy to help hide their operations. Some sites go undetected for years.

"The true crime here is the fact that they're killing off basically America's public lands, killing off the wildlife, killing off our water," says Kevin Mayer, a U.S. Forest Service law enforcement assistant special agent in charge. "This is stuff that, you know, it's not gonna repair itself."

Now, an unlikely coalition in California — including environmentalists, law enforcement agents, politicians, wildlife ecologists and representatives of the legal cannabis industry — have joined forces to try to reduce these illegal operations and the environmental threat they pose.

...Wengert points to a tree where she found about a gallon of concentrated carbofuran, an insecticide banned by the Environmental Protection Agency for all legal purposes. Carbofuran is produced in the U.S. by Pennsylvania-based FMC Corp, which exports the product to Mexico, India and other nations. The European Union, Canada and Brazil have full bans on carbofuran.

"It is incredibly toxic," Wengert says. "A quarter teaspoon could kill a 600-pound black bear. So obviously just a tiny amount can kill a human. It remains in an ecosystem for a long period of time."

"We have detected [carbofuran] in the soil, in cannabis plants, in native vegetation, the water, the infrastructure. You name it, we have detected it," Wengert says. "It's horrible."

Trespass pot growing has been a problem for many years — from hippies to cartels. But what's new, Wengert says, is that cartel growers are using more poisons and spreading them indiscriminately on the pot, the soil, all around.

...an increasing body of research, including her own, shows alarming levels of pesticide and insecticide contamination of the entire wildlife food web in the state's national forests.

Combating such grows can be tough. Forest Service police in California average 220 grow site raids and eradication operations yearly, says spokesman Paul Wade.

...Officials estimate they find fewer than half. The agency also does not have any reclamation or hazardous materials teams to deal with this expanding problem. In addition to wildlife, there's concern about the risks to hikers and other park users."

source: https://www.npr.org/2019/11/12/7731...-poisoning-wildlife-and-water?t=1611646238007

PDX Dopesmoker

So they're trying to tell us that evil, violent, dangerous Mexicans have taken to importing illegal chemicals so that they can illegally grow marijuana domestically because the DEA is too good at stopping foreign produced marijuana at the border.
How come the people guarding the border can stop so much marijuana traffic that foreigners decide to grow here, but they can't stop the illegal chemicals from being imported? And who are the people at NPR who are authorizing the purposeful and repeated use of racially charged code words like "cartel".
Do the evil Mexicans laugh and play with their mustaches while they intentionally poison the baby bears?

"This is stuff that, you know, it's not gonna repair itself."
That guy was supposedly talking about wilderness. Its wilderness, its never been in a repaired state, its fundamentally unmanaged and unmanageable by definition. If its managed, worked on, repaired, etc. then it ceases to be wilderness.

nt0yt6.jpg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
how do i pick mine? "relative" ease of access in places that no one else would have a reason to go. between rows of round hay bales on farms i have permission on, naturally damp areas i won't need to water often, if ever, etc. been thinking about floating platforms (camo'ed styrofoam sheeting perhaps? to put in marshy areas with enough dirt that most of the roots are up out of water. gotta worry about muskrats, geese etc there though. in sinkholes on south facing slopes, steep enough that livestock aint going in there. (fucking groundhogs, hate 'em.:biggrin:) i don't use chemical fertilizers because i'm not trying to make a living at this. cowshit & good dirt is quite enough...

DocWylder

for picking a guerilla spot, I like to find south-facing hills are harder to access and away from larger lakes or ponds which would attract fishermen or away from trails in which hunters would stumble across a patch. I will go in with a chain saw right after the snow lifts and clear out as much as I can and throw the cut logs down the hill to make it harder to walk up the hill

camouflage is my number one priority, not creating a visible trail to your plants is important because anybody can follow a trail by using a rock outcrop as the beginning of your trial it is a great way to hide the opening to your trail. also, leave all the tree branches intact on ur path to ur plants, a clearing broken tree branches can also look like a trail for people to follow. for water, I use a 300ft 1-1/4" hose and a pump from a pond to pump water from a nearby creek into a camo rain barrel that I have near my plants ( pump is solar or ca unplug in ) . if not I will fill up a rain barrel in the back of my truck and pump the water to a rain barrel and try and locate the barrel as close as I can to my plants. I find water is important but if you are drawing from a water source with a ph that's out of whack you could be doing more harm than good.

for nutes i use dagda lord of the fields, it is available in Canada cheap and is a time-release fertilizer that adapts to weather conditions and lasts for 2 weeks. prep the natural soil and bring in fresh promix to put a fresh soil layer for transplants to expand into before fighting thru the harder natural earth, I amend my soil with the Dagda 2 -4 weeks prior to planting.

planting in raspberry bushes, in heavily bear infested areas / other sketchy areas that people naturally don't want to venture into helps a lot. be care in bear territory lol

lastly, strain selection is big, I grow in northern Ontario Canada, and have to be out mid sept at the latest, mould resistance/ low odor can help get u thru the year and semi auto strains that finish late August can help avoid mould and or rippers. better to be out early then end up with nothing

a lot of my information comes from experience guerilla growing in northern Ontario Canada or reading Jorge Cervantes outdoor guerilla growing book, it's a must-read for any guerilla growers out there

PDX Dopesmoker

how do i pick mine? "relative" ease of access in places that no one else would have a reason to go. between rows of round hay bales on farms i have permission on, naturally damp areas i won't need to water often, if ever, etc. been thinking about floating platforms (camo'ed styrofoam sheeting perhaps? to put in marshy areas with enough dirt that most of the roots are up out of water. gotta worry about muskrats, geese etc there though. in sinkholes on south facing slopes, steep enough that livestock aint going in there. (fucking groundhogs, hate 'em.:biggrin:) i don't use chemical fertilizers because i'm not trying to make a living at this. cowshit & good dirt is quite enough...

That camouflaged artificial island idea sounds like a winner, the swamp growers who post pics here always have great looking plants.

G13Fan

Finding parking is the most difficult aspect of the outdoor adventure grow. Also cameras EVERYWHERE now make it extremely difficult.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Finding parking is the most difficult aspect of the outdoor adventure grow. Also cameras EVERYWHERE now make it extremely difficult.

no joke! some places, i put plants out at end turkey season. that way, i have an excuse if stopped coming out in full camo & face net.

Cuddles

there are cameras in the woods etc? where? that´s a pretty scary thought!

I once tried to do one of those types of grows and when I went back a few weeks later some bastards :moon: had dumped all sorts of shit JUST where I had planted my little ones! That´s another shit thing about living in the city. Never tried that sort of grow ever again.

I´d almost forgotten about this untill I read this thread

Latest posts

Latest posts