What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats recovery

Leonardo oppi

I overwatered and had a bad gnats infestation, whit fossil flour, neem oil, sticky traps and good watering practice they're totaly gone but they did a lot of damage it's now a week since i got rid of them but the two plants are not looking good, the taller and scrawny one on the left has almost stopped growing and leaves keep dying, the shorter, bushier one on the right is not looking that bad but she is slow, now i don't know what to do whit nutes because leaves are damaged by the gnats, i see sign of what it seems nutes burn but i watered once whit plain water thorow out all the flush left in the tray and didn't see any improvement, now I'm giving her just p-k less than half of what it's recommended on the bottle, maybe it's a deficiency? I'm having an hard time. Any help appreciated! There's probably a lot of grammatical error, sorry for my rusty english.

Attachments

• IMG_0150(1).jpg
    IMG_0150(1).jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 25

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Are you sure they were fungus gnats? Fungus gnats eat dead vegetation, mulch, and fungi and don't mess with live roots.That looks more like a problem with PH, over-watering, nute lockout or similar.
Root aphids will eat your roots and inject a poison that can also harm your plants as you show. The only time I had root aphids the plants looked fine until a couple weeks into flower and then I was chasing all kinds of issues much the same as you're showing.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Once you've treated them with a soil drench maybe let the media start to dry out since the damaged root system is able to utilize less water. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth, or coco mat, some kind of covers for the pots to prevent winged insects from burrowing. Mulch with coco coir mat, perlite, or diatomaceous earth.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Have you flowered in that size pot before successfully?

To me it looks like way too little root space for that size of plant.

Mattbho

Sorry but the gnats didn't do that to your plants . That is all you . Poor watering habits , maybe ph imbalance, roots are unable to support the foliage above ground.

I'm a betting man and I'm going to say it went a little something like this.

They were growing like mad banshees you, didn't keep up with water needs . Roots dried out . You opened the tent saw all your ladies wilted and such. Tried to make up for it over watered the next few days . The gnats came . You burnt the new regenerating roots with neem oil .

No worries mate it happens to the best of us when new.

1st I would get rid of the dead leaves just going to cause u problems . Then come back and tell us more .
Try and answer as many questions as possible because I can't tell if your running the new battery powered super pot pots . Or using plutonium as a grow media .

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:

How long has this problem been going on?
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG,*SCROG*etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What brand Nutrient's are you using?
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding?
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the*pH*of the "RUN-OFF"?
How often are you testing*pH/ppm/EC/TDS?
What method of*pH*test was administered? Using Strips?*pH*pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
How old is your bulbs?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen)
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Are you using water from a water softener?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

HYDROPONICS/Aero Ponics/Coco/Soiless/

Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents)
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..)
How tall are the plants?
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using?
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)
What is the Water temperature?
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless)
How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using
What is the*pH*of the "Tank"?
How often are you testing your*pH/PPM/EC/TDS?
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment?
When was your last watering?
What is your water temps?
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?
How old is the bulbs you are using?
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?
Are plant's infected with pest's

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Have you flowered in that size pot before successfully?

To me it looks like way too little root space for that size of plant.

Pretty much underfed and root bound. You can pull it off if you supplement feed and address microbial degradation of root binding.

Gnats are a great sign that decomposition is occurring and it is fungal dominant offering a veritable feast to gnats. Gnats are one of the worst vector violators in the garden. That is they can transmit pathogens and other pests as well as themselves to other plants elsewhere in the space.

imiubu

I overwatered and had a bad gnats infestation, whit fossil flour, neem oil, sticky traps and good watering practice they're totaly gone but they did a lot of damage it's now a week since i got rid of them but the two plants are not looking good, the taller and scrawny one on the left has almost stopped growing and leaves keep dying, the shorter, bushier one on the right is not looking that bad but she is slow, now i don't know what to do whit nutes because leaves are damaged by the gnats, i see sign of what it seems nutes burn but i watered once whit plain water thorow out all the flush left in the tray and didn't see any improvement, now I'm giving her just p-k less than half of what it's recommended on the bottle, maybe it's a deficiency? I'm having an hard time. Any help appreciated! There's probably a lot of grammatical error, sorry for my rusty english.

Root Aphids and Fungus Gnats look very similar once the Root Aphids become winged. I would first be certain the infestation is indeed Fungus Gnats. Knowing which pest is present IME is paramount to eradication.

Fungus Gnat larvae DO eat the fine feeder roots.
This can cause lock out that presents similar to deficiency.

Personally, I've battled both Fungus Gnats and Root Aphids and if one must have pests... hands down... I'd choose the FG every time.

I would remove those plants from their pots and examine the roots with a loupe. Look for damage and for pests. Be 100% certain of what you are dealing with and treat. I'd re - pot into fresh media also. Give new roots a chance to generate.

Fungus Gnat larvae and Root Aphids look entirely different.

Root Aphids will become winged once their food supply starts to become diminished. They lay only female eggs and will often decimate a garden before the gardener is able to identify the culprit, unfortunately.

Best :tiphat:

Leonardo oppi

Sorry but the gnats didn't do that to your plants . That is all you . Poor watering habits , maybe ph imbalance, roots are unable to support the foliage above ground.

I'm a betting man and I'm going to say it went a little something like this.

They were growing like mad banshees you, didn't keep up with water needs . Roots dried out . You opened the tent saw all your ladies wilted and such. Tried to make up for it over watered the next few days . The gnats came . You burnt the new regenerating roots with neem oil .

No worries mate it happens to the best of us when new.

1st I would get rid of the dead leaves just going to cause u problems . Then come back and tell us more .
Try and answer as many questions as possible because I can't tell if your running the new battery powered super pot pots . Or using plutonium as a grow media .

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
How Tall are the plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG,*SCROG*etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What brand Nutrient's are you using?
How often are you feeding?
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the*pH*of the "RUN-OFF"?
How often are you testing*pH/ppm/EC/TDS?
What method of*pH*test was administered? Using Strips?*pH*pen?
How often are you watering?
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
How old is your bulbs?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen)
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

HYDROPONICS/Aero Ponics/Coco/Soiless/

Are you growing in a PVC grow tent? (example: Hydrohut or any other non brand tents)
What system are you running? (DWC? Ebb flow? Aero? Water Farm? Flood Tables? and so on...)
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)
How long have they been in there mixture they are in now?(coco,soiless etc..)
How tall are the plants?
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using?
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)
What is the Water temperature?
What color are your roots? White? Brown? Are your roots slimy?
What Nutrient's are you using?(If growing soiless)
How often are you feeding? (If using soiless)
How often are you giving nutrients? (If using soiless)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using
What is the*pH*of the "Tank"?
How often are you testing your*pH/PPM/EC/TDS?
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equipment?
When was your last watering?
What is your water temps?
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)
How often do you clean your system: example: Flush out water replace with clean water and nutrients?
How old is the bulbs you are using?
What is your RH Factor(Relative Humidity)?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?
If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?
Are plant's infected with pest's
I started watering too much because I saw spots of rust on the leaves which I thought was cal / mag so I added it to the nutrient mix but it didn't work, then the leaves started to turn pale / yellowish so I increased a bit of nitrogen (always remaining in less than half of what the nutrient brand recommends) at that point I saw midges flying across the ground and realized I was drinking too much. it took a week to get rid of it. the leaves stopped dying just as quickly but not completely and the growth was stunned.

I'm growing in soil (biobizz light mix) 6.5l pots and those are both chemdawg auto from fastbuds

Leonardo oppi

I started watering too much because I saw spots of rust on the leaves which I thought was cal / mag so I added it to the nutrient mix but it didn't work, then the leaves started to turn pale / yellowish so I increased a bit of nitrogen (always remaining in less than half of what the nutrient brand recommends) at that point I saw midges flying across the ground and realized I was drinking too much. it took a week to get rid of it. the leaves stopped dying just as quickly but not completely and the growth was stunned.

I'm growing in soil (biobizz light mix) 6.5l pots and those are both chemdawg auto from fastbuds
**I started overwatering because I saw rusts spots on the leaves which I thought was cal / mag so I added it to the nutrient mix but it didn't work, then the leaves started to turn pale / yellowish so I increased a bit of nitrogen (always remaining in less than half of what the nutrient brand recommends) at that point I saw gnats flying around the soil and realized I was overwatering. it took a week to get rid of them. the leaves stopped dying just as quickly but not completely and the growth was stunned.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Root Aphids and Fungus Gnats look very similar once the Root Aphids become winged. I would first be certain the infestation is indeed Fungus Gnats. Knowing which pest is present IME is paramount to eradication.

Fungus Gnat larvae DO eat the fine feeder roots.
This can cause lock out that presents similar to deficiency.

Personally, I've battled both Fungus Gnats and Root Aphids and if one must have pests... hands down... I'd choose the FG every time.

I would remove those plants from their pots and examine the roots with a loupe. Look for damage and for pests. Be 100% certain of what you are dealing with and treat. I'd re - pot into fresh media also. Give new roots a chance to generate.

Fungus Gnat larvae and Root Aphids look entirely different.

Root Aphids will become winged once their food supply starts to become diminished. They lay only female eggs and will often decimate a garden before the gardener is able to identify the culprit, unfortunately.

Best :tiphat:

Yes absolute you need a positive Identification before you can treat anything.

But do you think plants can still generate new feeder roots so far along into flower?

And yes root aphids are far more difficult to shake than fungus gnats.