What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reversed clones have male flowers but no pollen

theJointedOne

Veteran
Anyone run into this? I have once before. Im wondering what factors create this?

Reversed two Wedding Cake plants. The reversal seemed like a success, the plants were creating male flower formations. Im on about week 4 of flowering the donors (wedding cakes) and there are male flower clusters, some of the pollen sacks are starting to open, but unfortunately I dont see any pollen being released. I broke open a few male flowers to see and found zero pollen.

Do you think it's possible it will eventually start flowing or am in dealing with some sterile ladyboys?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I would suppose that just like humans, not all sperm is viable. They might have balls but they don't produce ...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Anyone run into this? I have once before. Im wondering what factors create this?

Reversed two Wedding Cake plants. The reversal seemed like a success, the plants were creating male flower formations. Im on about week 4 of flowering the donors (wedding cakes) and there are male flower clusters, some of the pollen sacks are starting to open, but unfortunately I dont see any pollen being released. I broke open a few male flowers to see and found zero pollen.

Do you think it's possible it will eventually start flowing or am in dealing with some sterile ladyboys?

I'm willing to bet you sprayed it into oblivion. Over spraying a too strong solution will do that.

Read this thread. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=357407
There's CS information in there.

Chances are pretty good you have *some pollen. If you only have a tiny bit, you wouldn't see it.

theJointedOne

Veteran
I'm willing to bet you sprayed it into oblivion. Over spraying a too strong solution will do that.

Read this thread. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=357407
There's CS information in there.

Chances are pretty good you have *some pollen. If you only have a tiny bit, you wouldn't see it.

Yes after reading the link you shared I have the same issues as a few members in there had. I will stop spraying, and see if maybe eventually it will make pollen filled sacks. I was following a recipe which i thought would work, next time i will lessen the concentration and spray less often.

mobi50

I' ve experienced the same when the treated plant didn't receive enough heat, it produces male flowers but almost no pollen. Try to cut in half the bananas with a cutter and you' ll see if they have any pollen.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Removing the pollen sacs, drying them, rubbing them through a small sieve with your finger works too.
110392_30000498_78708_2017-06-20_16-32-24.JPG

On bigger plants, I cut a branch and gently tap it on a silk screen frame laying flat on a mirror. Fresh pollen falls through.

512u2CObEAL._AC_SX466_.jpg

lLucky

Some strains/cuts are harder to reverse than others.

All the other info has already been posted

Good luck!

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Could it be the plant is sterile has it come from a fem seed breeder Steve said in a video by s5 plants are sterile.

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
Could it be the plant is sterile has it come from a fem seed breeder Steve said in a video by s5 plants are sterile.

That’s a complete Myth.

I have S5-S6 OG plants that are just as viable to breed with as any of the ones that came before it. Steve says a lot of things, and half of them aren’t true.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I reversed an AutoBastard and reading this I probably sprayed too much. The plant is full on male flowers but they aren't really opening nor showing pollen. It has to be releasing some pollen as seeds are forming but overall it looks like it's just a bunch of male flowers that aren't opening.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Cannabis is heterozygote, veggies like tomatoes are homozygote, Cannabis breeding is very different then for tomatoes, as tomatoes when selfed are still all the same, Cannabis will not be, and do not forget that selfed Cannabis will lose vigor and resistance to pest and disease as all the negative recessed genes pop up. By s4 the plant can be un-useable for commercial production.
-SamS

JetLife175

Veteran
420giveaway
Cannabis is heterozygote, veggies like tomatoes are homozygote, Cannabis breeding is very different then for tomatoes, as tomatoes when selfed are still all the same, Cannabis will not be, and do not forget that selfed Cannabis will lose vigor and resistance to pest and disease as all the negative recessed genes pop up. By s4 the plant can be un-useable for commercial production.
-SamS

Key word in that entire quote is CAN.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-SamS

Much the same as regular inbreeding of males and females.

Latest posts

Latest posts