What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Watt

PDX Dopesmoker

A watt is a joule per second
A calorie is 4184 joules
I have a plant thats about 2 square feet of the canopy in a closet grow that has about 50w per square foot, so it gets about 100w/hr or 100 joules per second for 3600 seconds AKA 360,000 joules which equals 86 calories per hour. Its at just under 13 hours of daylight now, so its eating about 1100 calories a day of light.
A square meter outdoors gets something about 1100w of sunlight so thats almost 1000 calories per hour per square meter. A big outdoor plant could be eating up over 100,000 calories a day of light.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
You light consumes 50w a foot, but isn't 100% efficient at giving them the plant.

St. Phatty

Something I think about a lot.

I usually calculate in foot pounds but you need to be able to convert from foot pounds/ second to watts.

"1 foot pound-force per second is equivalent to: 1.3558179483314 watts."

So if I bicycle up a hill, and manage one foot vertical per second with 120 pounds for me and 30 for the bike, clothes, backpack etc.

that's 150 foot pounds per second, roughly 190 watts.

"Two common definitions being used today are the mechanical horsepower (or imperial horsepower), which is about 745.7 watts, and the metric horsepower, which is approximately 735.5 watts"

so the bicycling is about 1/4 horsepower.

Latest posts

Latest posts