What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone had success in completely eradicating russet or broad mites?

tilopa

Just found out the deviating news that I have russet mites in my veg room.

I have plants grown out from seed that I put a lot of work into and I was getting ready to put them in flower, so it is painful to have to destroy all of them.

Does anyone have experience with actually winning the battle against russet or broad mites?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The key to many eradication successes is a complete application. This is especially important if the chems used are not systemic. It's not just the plants to, it's everything.

I quite like the mains powered spray guns used for fences. My last one was fancy but useless but the cheapest of guns atomise water so it looks like fog leaving the gun. These one the ones that resemble pro paint guns but don't use air and are plastic. I have been able to point one at a fan and watch the air flow take it over large areas. You would need to mask up spraying nasties. Not a covid mask either. A decent mask. I'm sloppy and stand by an air inlet to get good air, then run about holding my breath before dumping my clothes in a bag and showering.

hellfire

Sulfur and isopropyl alcohol/water mixes. Pyrethrins can be mixed with sulfur as well I think. But pyrethrin alone didn't seem to do much.

PDX Dopesmoker

Sulfur and isopropyl alcohol/water mixes. Pyrethrins can be mixed with sulfur as well I think. But pyrethrin alone didn't seem to do much.

I got rid of them mainly with sulfur alone, I tried alcohol/water mixes at first and they didn't seem to be effective at all compared to the sulfur, but maybe it was the combination that did the trick. I've only had them outside, I don't think my closet grow gets warm enough to keep russet mites happy indoors. Outdoors russet mites really come to life at 85º or so, they get very aggressive in hot weather and don't seem to do too much damage without the heat helping them, so keeping things cool will probably help any treatment work effectively.

tilopa

The key to many eradication successes is a complete application. This is especially important if the chems used are not systemic. It's not just the plants to, it's everything.

I quite like the mains powered spray guns used for fences. My last one was fancy but useless but the cheapest of guns atomise water so it looks like fog leaving the gun. These one the ones that resemble pro paint guns but don't use air and are plastic. I have been able to point one at a fan and watch the air flow take it over large areas. You would need to mask up spraying nasties. Not a covid mask either. A decent mask. I'm sloppy and stand by an air inlet to get good air, then run about holding my breath before dumping my clothes in a bag and showering.
Can you recommend a proper sprayer.

CrushnYuba

If you really want to get rid of them you got to use something systemic. It's the only way. I have gotten rid of them a few times. Norcal is a shit show. When every single person you know grows, they get passed around worse then the clap at a frat house. Forbid 4f is the only sure bet.
I mix avid with it. The avid kills well on contact. It will knock allot out but it's not complete.
The forbid 4f is systemic and will completely get the job done. Makes it so they can't reproduce. You combine the two and getting rid of them is guaranteed.
You can get it already mixed so you don't have to get separate bottles, but i can't remember the name. It's more cost effective this way. Me and my friends buy pesticides in bulk and share so we mix it. In bulk it's less expensive separate.
Results are fast and won't burn. Just fast recovery.
The only other thing that even seems to slow them down is sulfur. It almost gets rid of them completely. It does mess the plant up a bit. Plants will always get a little burned. You will make it through the round bug free but It seems like they will eventually come back. It's non toxic though.

I haven't seen anything else work

Regular pump sprayer will do ya. Nothing fancy is needed

Mineral oil or sulphur spray but not within 2 weeks of each other. A really good product is Sufoil-x. The forbid/avid/pylon works too.

xerb

Russets - I had them once

Russets - I had them once

About 10 years ago I diagnosed russet mites in my garden.

It was August and all my plants where about 6 foot tall when they just stopped growing.

A"friend" had brought over several teens that I did not ask for, or particularly want. Big mistake - me accepting them.

He later discovered he had been infected and never called to tell me.

But, as far as I know, you just can't safely eradicate them.

I cut every plant down and burned them in a big pile.
Heartbreaking, but it had to be done.

Tilled the ground several times before the freezing weather came.

It has been 10 years now, no sign of those blasted mites. Aphids, thrips, leaf hoppers, caterpillars, gophers, teenagers, yes, but no more Russet Mites.

Keep those buggy friends out of your garden!

XERB

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pylon concentrate worked for you?

100% gone for years now. Ive run a can before filling every new project since my first use and have never seen one. It used to be a never ending story.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm sorry for you having this problem after all the work you've put in this grow. Problems with mites can be changed by changing the environment that's producing them. If you use cold-pressed neem oil as a preventive you won't have any problems with mites in flowering. Only use neem while the plants are young and in veg cycle, because the leaves you spray today will be gone in flowering. Don't play around with those mites or they will be in your grow area for a long time. When I used neem I added a couple of drops of dish soap to warm distilled water to help the neem stick to the leaf tissue. Spray every three days on the top and bottom of the leaves while the plants are young. Every 3 days should kill the newly hatched eggs. Do it for twelve days total and the mites will be gone. 😎

Stev3

100% gone for years now. Ive run a can before filling every new project since my first use and have never seen one. It used to be a never ending story.

Oh you were talking about the Time release? I was talking about the concentrate lol but I guess if the can works the concentrate would work also

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Can you recommend a proper sprayer.

Missed your post.

Since covid, this market has expanded. Misters/foggers/atomisers can be found everywhere and are surely being reviewed on ebay. From mains powered to cordless personal one's.

I got my fence gun from Machine Mart in the UK, so it might not be a good source. Not now so many covid driven varients can be found and hopefully reviewed.

Edit: It seems mine is no longer stocked, it's just cashed pages https://dccf75d8gej24.cloudfront.net...843B-large.jpg

I looked... lots of reviews. Some are called electrostatic sprayers. A name I have not seen before.