What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf discoloration starting to show up.

ShowMeGrowmie

Red Mandarine at 34 days of flower. Growing in coco using Jack's 3-2-1 with Armor Si and Diamond Nectar. <1.8 ec and always between 6.3 and 6.5 pH DTW

My first thoughts were cal/mag just because it's coco and that's always the first assumption for a beginner, right? But I don't know what I'm talking about so I'm hoping someone here will.

Thanks in advance.

FW1Odmk.jpg

4alpuBw.jpg

Lkv5tig.jpg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
You might be running it a bit dry. 18 is also quite high. Have you measured the runoff to gauge how hot the root zone is getting

ShowMeGrowmie

You might be running it a bit dry. 18 is also quite high. Have you measured the runoff to gauge how hot the root zone is getting

I haven't but I will ASAP.

What you said makes sense as I'm hand watering this time around and it's hard to water as often as I'd like to.

If I'm not able to increase the watering frequency would you recommend dropping the EC a bit?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That looks like maybe the start of some calcium there if I'm seeing the rusty splotches correctly? The purpling might be genetic I wouldn't sweat that probably. I think calcium gets locked out around 6.0 in hydro? At least according to the ph scale I used :D Might wanna let it swing a little lower to 6.0 or so. I think when I was doing coco I let it swing from 5.8 to 6.2?
hydroponics-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Test your runoff ph and ec. Flush if needed. Decrease nutrient solution strength and add some ca + mg, adjust ph of solution down just a bit to 5.8 or 5.9

Things still look great, and should finish beautifully.

You’re probably done with flower or close by now. Hope it turned out well. It looks like to me maybe your plants were experiencing guttation and either the minerals left behind were burning the leaves in those spots as the water evaporated or the excess moisture caused fungus. If your fan is on the same schedule as your lights guttation can cause issues.
Good luck.
P.s. How was the smell? I’m considering running these in the future.

Billyn

It looks like a magnesium deficiency... "...small, rusty brown spots appear in the middle-aged leaves (under the top of the plant)..."

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Growing in coco using Jack's 3-2-1 with Armor Si and Diamond Nectar. <1.8 ec and always between 6.3 and 6.5 pH DTW

1. The EC is indeed high

This may cause lockout issues, especially in nutrients that aren't specifcally for coco.

2. Jack's

Why not switch to a coco specific line, like Canna or even Plagron or Biobizz?

3. Nutrients

3-2-1 has more nitrogen than phosphorus, and these numbers are very low.

I think you should gently flush and lower the nutrient concentration of 1.8 to 1.0 EC (on top of the tapwater) and switch to 0.4 EC of a high P/K nutrient with 0.1 EC of epsom salt (Magnesium for the foliage) for a week.

When the plant shows new growth, switch to the same EC of Canna A+B for coco.