What's new

Running lights with timers?

Jayded

Anyone using timers on sp lights?Do the diodes still glow when turned off?
I've not used timers for a while but will have to start as won't be able to get to grow every day.
As most of what I grow are sativa's,the thought of them still glowing however dimly has me worried!

TdotGonG

The timer most likely is a physical relay which cuts the power completely. meaning no power at all. So the diodes would not be lit at all.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Some European growers might meet the glow issue.
It is easy to solve the issue. Need to use a bipolar cut-off timer.

Coeus

Some European growers might meet the glow issue.
It is easy to solve the issue. Need to use a bipolar cut-off timer.
im newish here what is a bipolar cut-off timer i googled it but nothing came apart from the disorder bipolar help me understand some more :thank you:

LNG

Anyone using timers on sp lights?Do the diodes still glow when turned off?
I've not used timers for a while but will have to start as won't be able to get to grow every day.
As most of what I grow are sativa's,the thought of them still glowing however dimly has me worried!
I'm in long distance relationship with my grow at the moment and visit it twice a week. Always had it on timers as I literally have no other option. Not had an issue due to lights. Using dual spectrum HPS. There is a bit of glow before they fully come on or go off. The way I was explained - the lights need a little time to warm up/cool off

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
I'm in long distance relationship with my grow at the moment and visit it twice a week. Always had it on timers as I literally have no other option. Not had an issue due to lights. Using dual spectrum HPS. There is a bit of glow before they fully come on or go off. The way I was explained - the lights need a little time to warm up/cool off

It is a vivid explanation.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Mr Mars, do you recommend contactors for your lights, or can a domestic timer manage easily?

I have remained cautious through Electronic HID ballasts to LED drivers. Using the same solid switchgear HIDs demand.

Tech: I can't decide if it's AC-1 or AC-12 standard. Though common sense says the more typical AC-3 should cover it. Using 5a kit is overkill.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
If I had the link, I would have posted it. No?

I'm psychic, I can read minds.
You're talking about the video linked below I think.

This video explains why it's possible that Led's can keep glowing slightly when one of the phases is interrupted and the other not.
That's why you need a bi-polar cut-off timer.

https://youtu.be/caxb9N1N9Fc

[YOUTUBEIF]caxb9N1N9Fc[/YOUTUBEIF]

Jayded

This is a glow that stays until lights are turned back on LNG and only happens with LED's.
It's not easy trying to find these bipolar timers,all that comes up when I search is bipolar disorder things.
Anyone have a make I can search for?

LNG

This is a glow that stays until lights are turned back on LNG and only happens with LED's.
It's not easy trying to find these bipolar timers,all that comes up when I search is bipolar disorder things.
Anyone have a make I can search for?
what colour are they glowing? just white?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I'm psychic, I can read minds.
You're talking about the video linked below I think.

This video explains why it's possible that Led's can keep glowing slightly when one of the phases is interrupted and the other not.
That's why you need a bi-polar cut-off timer.

https://youtu.be/caxb9N1N9Fc

[youtubeif]caxb9N1N9Fc[/youtubeif]
You the man CVH! Thank you :tiphat:

I don't have any issues with my tents, it's the LEDs in my rec room that glow after the lights are off. It never use to happen when I was running incandescent in there
frown.gif

Electricity isn't my forté. A friend of mine explained how some lighting circuits (read using normal bulbs (incandescen(s))) are wired. The skinny... is how/why the contractors do it to save money on wire. I didn't get it back then and still don't. I ran several simple circuits in my life and, always placed the switch on the hot wire, which I was told it is supposed to be on (hot wire).

? is, does anyone here know how to rectify this/my problem?

PS: The rec rm circuit is the only place where this is happening throughout the house.