What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis and liver functionality connected to Crohn's

LNG

Two of my friend shave Crohn's. One of them is lactose intolerant, which started to show at the same time as the symptoms for the disease - with him, everything else seem to be more or less ok and same effects from weed as myself (apart from a little crazy I’m pretty healthy)
The other, well, she can eat everything she likes, but the rest is much more complicated. About 95% of her bowels are removed and she has been with stoma bag for most of her life, I think since she’s been 12. She also struggles with arthritis, fatigue, migraines and worst of it all - massively reduced liver functionality. She is in a list waiting for a suitable donor as well as at least one of her family members is suitable, but medical experts would not perform the surgery unless she is in critical condition, which at the moment she isn’t. This little superwoman of a person has lived 10 years more than her doctors originally predicted although it hasn’t been easy due to amount of pain she is enduring daily.
But my main question is, bear with, I will get to it….
She has tried weed (smoking) and said it had no effect whatsoever. This made me really curious and I found research paper that suggested to me that we get most of our high through our liver processing it. Could it be that because her liver doesn’t function, she can’t get high? Could she still experience the medical effects, possibly from CBD?
Any sort of suggestions, experience sharing would be super appreciated!

Drewsif

There are no medical benefits from cbd. Pump her full of organic concentrate/vapor. The combo of fatty acids and cannabinoids from ORGANIC pot will help her. Again, hash or vapor. Not even cave men would combust raw flower and call it medicine,why are modern housemen?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are no medical benefits from cbd. Pump her full of organic concentrate/vapor. The combo of fatty acids and cannabinoids from ORGANIC pot will help her. Again, hash or vapor. Not even cave men would combust raw flower and call it medicine,why are modern housemen?

I call extreme BS!!!! Finished a Harvard Clinical trial 2 weeks ago as a participant for CBD tablets - no liver involvement after taking 50 mg isolate immediate release for 2 months. There are hundreds of articles/blogs regarding anti-inflammation from CBD.

We've been making balms, tinctures, capsules from our CBD hybrids and now autos for several years. Helps with a myriad of conditions.

Way of Leaf:
What strains are good for Crohn's disease?
5 Best Marijuana Strains for Crohn's Disease
1) Chemo Marijuana Strain (Indica) ...
2) Hash Plant Marijuana Strain (indica) ...
3) Lemon Jack Marijuana Strain (sativa) ...
4) Golden Pineapple Marijuana Strain (hybrid) ...
5) K2 Marijuana Strain (hybrid)
Jun 5, 2020

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5388177/

The GI tract accommodates all the relevant components of the endocannabinoid system and is therefore highly amenable to treatment with Cannabis/cannabinoids

Preclinical data in mouse models show that Cannabis/cannabinoids reduce the severity of colitis and relax intestinal hypercontractility through cannabinoid receptors and other components of the endocannabinoid system

Cannabis/cannabinoids not only act via classical cannabinoid receptors but also via GPR55, TRPV1, and PPAR receptors

To circumvent side effects of cannabinoid compounds, levels of endocannabinoids can be raised by inhibitors of endocannabinoid-degrading enzymes, such as FAAH and MGL. These enzymes are important drug targets in IBD.

Translation of preclinical data on cannabinoids in experimental IBD into humans has been insufficiently investigated warranting large clinical trials

Cannabis may be helpful in Crohn’s disease to ease abdominal pain but should be only considered after failure of standard medication and assessment of risks.......

https://wayofleaf.com/cbd/ailments/cbd-for-crohns-disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6727090/

Together with thc, the entourage effect helps in most chronic inflammation conditions.

LNG

I do find this very interesting. As a general. But her condition is very much past Inflammatory bowels - she no longer has any left.

It's more about liver function.
So my understanding is that we smoke it - THC goes in bloodstream, gets you very tiny high going to brain, then most of it goes to your liver which makes that THC in water soluble form (I could be wrong as not an expert) and then that water soluble form is what connect to receptors in our brain and give us almighty feeling of high.

Previously my girl smoked and said she didn't feel anything. Also her liver doesn't function, so the question - does it not break down the THC to this water soluble form that can connect to her receptors? Is there way around so she can get some joy out of almighty bud and at least get a decent sleep 1st time in years?

I will still give it a go and get her to smoke most decent stuff I can get :)

LNG

Lol I see riff raff from other sites creeping here ....still misinforming anyone willing to believe their ignorance
such as?
I made an effort to read a paper, summarise what I could understand and apply it to the situation.

Mainly looking for ways how to get a friend stoned - girls just want to have fun and sleep :D

Galaxy420

I do find this very interesting. As a general. But her condition is very much past Inflammatory bowels - she no longer has any left.

It's more about liver function.
So my understanding is that we smoke it - THC goes in bloodstream, gets you very tiny high going to brain, then most of it goes to your liver which makes that THC in water soluble form (I could be wrong as not an expert) and then that water soluble form is what connect to receptors in our brain and give us almighty feeling of high.

Previously my girl smoked and said she didn't feel anything. Also her liver doesn't function, so the question - does it not break down the THC to this water soluble form that can connect to her receptors? Is there way around so she can get some joy out of almighty bud and at least get a decent sleep 1st time in years?

I will still give it a go and get her to smoke most decent stuff I can get :)
maybe using high dosages of omega three with cannabis could add more enzymes that make more signaling to occur ... generally though in regards to the info in your post - inhaled THC goes into vasodilation in the blood instantly ... this then makes it to the brain ... the liver does not process much of that unless it is eaten and directed into first pass in the liver that converts THC to THC 11 hydroxy ...
Edit Edit! look up juicing cannabis for that condition //.... Shona Bonda wrote a book, live free or die trying ... check that info out ... she has vids on youtube ETC.... basically using a juicer to juice whole living cannabis plant daily

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe using high dosages of omega three with cannabis could add more enzymes that make more signaling to occur ... generally though in regards to the info in your post - inhaled THC goes into vasodilation in the blood instantly ... this then makes it to the brain ... the liver does not process much of that unless it is eaten and directed into first pass in the liver that converts THC to THC 11 hydroxy ...
Edit Edit! look up juicing cannabis for that condition //.... Shona Bonda wrote a book, live free or die trying ... check that info out ... she has vids on youtube ETC.... basically using a juicer to juice whole living cannabis plant daily

Yes, juicing with other vegetables/fruits in pea protein helps heal 'leaky gut'. Do that for mid afternoon smoothie.

LNG

Couple of days ago brought home a nice looking smoke (no tabaco, although most people I know, mix both, I think it makes it rank!). Traded her smoking to me getting an undercut lol
So we go outside, as her husband is totally against any of the aromas brought in to the house, and light it up. There's me thinking: mmmmm this is smooth...
My chick has a toke, and starts coughing quite a bit, turns out she's only tried smoking, once, mayyybe twice ...
So 4 tokes later - that's all she could handle at the time, we go inside to get my stoner undercut :D
I've already noticed that effects are definitely there and my girl agrees that her chronic pain has subsided!
About 30 mins later she comes out with "I feel a little funny" - hahahaha

In a bit we both felt a bit tired so packed away to bed.

In the morning, she did say that she slept the same, but maybe dosed off a little better. But her husband had noticed that her skin had gone quite a bit more yellow (associated with her liver issues) than the normal skin colour.

In summary: yes, she can get high! But probably won't try again as the yellow skin tone is not what we want to see again...