What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has Covid in the US affected wholesale Canadian prices?

mikeross

I've never seen wholesale price of Cannabis this low. Moving averages have been trending lower and lower over the years but this year seems a little different.

Do you think Covid, border closures and US Covid cases have had an impact on current wholesale prices or is this the new bottom? Prices 6 months ago were literally 30-40% higher.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
That plus I suspect people are smoking their stuff from outdoor this year. I know a few who are. It isn't very good but money is tight for people. So yeah in a few ways I think it's having its effect.

What kinda prices you seeing for quads?

Trips are under 1000. Good trips.

mikeross

That plus I suspect people are smoking their stuff from outdoor this year. I know a few who are. It isn't very good but money is tight for people. So yeah in a few ways I think it's having its effect.

What kinda prices you seeing for quads?

Trips are under 1000. Good trips.

That's the thing... the outdoor I've been seeing is looking better than ever. Really didn't even know outdoor could look and smoke this good. Obviously isn't your average backyard crop.

Real nice looking trips about $850, quads $1200 max... not sure how much higher each would fetch as a single though.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
yeah that Market how react about more amount in market as before then price level drop down
Exactly! Deflation comes when too much money is in circulation, no difference here IMO. People need to adjust to the market. I believe it is a combination of both: Covid; and folks growing their own.

It's the old supply and demand thing :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Folks growing their own, a flooded legal and black market, and export difficulties.
It all adds up.
Legalization is not decriminalization. It sort of reminds me of the ecig legalization battle, where "some states" wanted to tax ecig products @ 30% vice the regular state/provincial "sales tax". Only one word for that GREED!

Govt saw that opportunity and saw a cash cow. That being said, that cash cow only applied with roughly 15-18% of the population and hence, a little of something is better than nothing and settled for simple state/provincial tax. There are a hell of a lot more folks consuming cannabis, than there is folks trying to quit smoking.

We have seen the discussion here, where, any legalization needs to have "grow your own" clause. They did that to weaken the BM as seen here. That was their intent... supply the market (govt) while reducing the amount of customers purchasing from the BM, while increasing penalties. Hence the new war on drugs! The BM will never disappear, we know that. Why?

All the BS regulations in place drove the price of weed to unsustainable levels. Combine that with the shit we can acquire from the legal market, and they still have a dilemma. Folks (many) aren't buying "legal weed", because of the prices and, well, its shit! AAMOF with so much regulations, "legal producers" are often forced into cutting corners, in order to remain competitive.

Like any other business, if you want to get rid of your competition you need to do 2 things:

• produce a better/safer product at half the price, which, provides a venue for new customers. IOW they would rather purchase from you; while
  • making the BM a non lucrative business
We all know that they will never see the obliteration of the BM.

That being said, offering "shit weed" at triple the price, doesn't accomplish their objective. AAMOF, many are trying to sell just a smidgen below legal prices, once again trying to profit from legalization. e.g $1 less than legal costs. IOW, riding on legalization/govt coattails.

It all boils down to GREED. The 5 letter word that has been around since the dawn of time. Some folks call it capitalism!

It all boils down to. Why should I buy from either when I can grow my own, of known quality (e.g free of pesticides/insecticides and other shit etc... ) at a fraction of the cost? I don't!

I may not grow the dankest shit out there, but it is far cry from anything on the legal market and in many instances, the BM.

Times they are a changing and we need to:

• improvise
  • adapt; and
  • overcome :tiphat:

H G Griffin

More people are growing than ever. So that no doubt will cause prices to drop. :tiphat:

I think a lot of people don't realize the effect that small personal growers have.

For a lot of us, not only did we remove our dollars from the retail market, we also supply a friend or two or 4 from our surplus.

You need to pick up a lot of 1/8 per month occasional recreational users to make up for even one heavy chronic lost.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
was up by the border recently the numbers that were going around was insanely cheap. john boats loaded on the daily shooting across the st lawrence.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I think a lot of people don't realize the effect that small personal growers have.

For a lot of us, not only did we remove our dollars from the retail market, we also supply a friend or two or 4 from our surplus.

You need to pick up a lot of 1/8 per month occasional recreational users to make up for even one heavy chronic lost.
Can't argue with that :)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I'm surprised at the amount of people who actually support government outlets for weed in BC. I never will, but never thought I'd see so much acceptance by others I know.

Not sure if that is on topic really :D I grow my own, almost always have. Cheapest and best.

mikeross

I'm surprised at the amount of people who actually support government outlets for weed in BC. I never will, but never thought I'd see so much acceptance by others I know.

Not sure if that is on topic really :D I grow my own, almost always have. Cheapest and best.

I'm sure many people buy government weed but I literally don't know anyone who does.

They recently opened up a "cannabis store" in my city. I never see more than a car or two out front but seems to be steady. Is it that hard to find decent weed in BC that you have to resort to paying twice the price for "just ok" bud.

Great outdoors

When they first opened I was stoked on the revolutionary change and was keen to try some for the sole reason of variety. Not like I needed weed, always have grown my own and have plenty around. But I like different flavors so I thought why not.
Fantasy shattered with shwag. I've bought brick weed from mexico and columbia as a kid that was better cured and cared for. And they smuggled that shit thousands of miles through questionable conditions.
How can they grow something that is actually legit and can be treated properly so badly? Unbelievable really.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
When they first opened I was stoked on the revolutionary change and was keen to try some for the sole reason of variety. Not like I needed weed, always have grown my own and have plenty around. But I like different flavors so I thought why not.
Fantasy shattered with shwag. I've bought brick weed from mexico and columbia as a kid that was better cured and cared for. And they smuggled that shit thousands of miles through questionable conditions.
How can they grow something that is actually legit and can be treated properly so badly? Unbelievable really.

Answer... they don't give a fuck.

growshopfrank

Veteran

The pot shop folks are paying bottom dollar for their products much like walmart unfortunately for the pot shop operators any good grower can get paid better selling elsewhere. Thank God for the black market and clueless government decisions.

mikeross

Black market is obviously winning the battle. Lots of big LP's already closed shop or showing losses.

October 2021 is the Cannabis act/ACMPR 3 year review. I hope they don't try and mess things up by doing an over hall on the current regulations regarding home grows/personal production licenses. I've noticed a few news articles this year regarding organized crime and legal licenses which is BS and a very very small issues in the community.

Great outdoors

Black market is obviously winning the battle. Lots of big LP's already closed shop or showing losses.

October 2021 is the Cannabis act/ACMPR 3 year review. I hope they don't try and mess things up by doing an over hall on the current regulations regarding home grows/personal production licenses. I've noticed a few news articles this year regarding organized crime and legal licenses which is BS and a very very small issues in the community.

How is black market winning with a market flooded with worthless weed?

I will have to look into this review. Need to lobby hard to change the 4 plant per household law. Reality is it should be the same as booze or tobacco. Grow as much as you please, you just can't sell it.