What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Age old question: What's the lifespan of pollen?

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys,

Yep, the age old question returns; what is the typical lifespan of cannabis pollen? I ask in relation to safety, to know how long after exposure is it before females are safe from spent pollen?

I have two strains in breeding but wish to bring the females together following pollination from their respective males but without risk to contamination between the two strains post pulling of the males. Any thoughts please?

TIA,

billy

T

Teddybrae

I think archeologists found some pollen in one of the Pyramids that was viable. Forget which plant it was. Grain probly.

After pulling the males gently but thoroughly spray the females to wash away any pollen.

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Teddybrae, that's a slightly scary thought about the longevity of pollen but a good thought of spraying the fems.
Cheers!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I just trim down a male plant to have a minimum set of flowers and put a plastic bag over flowers to catch the pollen. Then put the bag of pollen in the freezer wrapped in a paper towel. When I'm ready I just let thaw for a few minutes before using. I have used this method and fertilized flowers the following season with 100% success.

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Creeperpark,

Definitely not something I would have thought of but an interesting method!

billy